UKC

Kalettes - God they're amazing !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Sick of sprouts at Christmas ?
Does the smell offend your nostrils and make your guts ache ?

Behold Kalettes !
http://www.kalettes.com/

I've discovered my new favourite vegetable. I seem to be living off these things at the moment.
Ahhhh the sense of satisfaction after finishing off a whole packet of these wondrous little marvels and knowing how good they are for you.

TS
Post edited at 09:01
 Shani 13 Dec 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

Your typo in the header is certainly offending my nostrils and making my guts ache.
 Big Ger 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Shani:
It's the punctuation, surely?

"Kalettes - God, there, amazing !"

Post edited at 08:53
In reply to Shani:

> Your typo in the header is certainly offending my nostrils and making my guts ache.

I've read a lot worse mistakes in the topics before.

But enjoy yourself with that.
It was perfectly understandable.

Again I begin to understand why people just don't post here. It depresses me.
You depress me .
Merry Christmas and all that.

Shani 13 Dec 2016
> I've read a lot worse mistakes in the topics before.

> But enjoy yourself with that.

> It was perfectly understandable.

> Again I begin to understand why people just don't post here. It depresses me.

> You depress me .

> Merry Christmas and all that.

>

I think you have not grasped the severity of poor grammar on UKC. You simply cannot afford to mix up their, they're and there. Confusing lose and loose is also pretty bad. Wayward apostrophe's are pretty unforgiveable as well.
Post edited at 09:38
 graeme jackson 13 Dec 2016

> Sick of sprouts at Christmas ?

No

> Does the smell offend your nostrils and make your guts ache ?

No

> Behold Kalettes !

They had them on Countryfile a week ago. Where Have you been?
 Shani 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> It's the punctuation, surely?

> "Kalettes - God, there, amazing !"

>

I was blinded by the typo. But now you point it out.......grrrrr
 Shani 13 Dec 2016

"Kalettes - God they're amazing !"

Should be "Kalettes - God, they're amazing!" 9/10
 toad 13 Dec 2016

a sprout crossed with kale. I think God will not regard them as amazing, but rather as a terrible blasphemy to be struck from the face of the earth. If That Shallot becomes That Pillarofsalt, don't say you weren't warned.
 Rog Wilko 13 Dec 2016
> Sick of sprouts at Christmas ?

No, but kale is the work of the devil. Sprouts are the best green veg of them all.
Only buy small dense sprouts. Steam them. Don't overcook them. Don't overcook them. And then don't overcook them. Stand over them while they're steaming and check every minute. About 8 minutes should do depending on size. Test them with a fork - they're cooked when there is still some resistance.
Never understood why some only eat them at Christmas.
PS. The second best green veg is purple sprouting broccoli. As long as it's not overcooked.
Post edited at 12:25
 felt 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Should be "Kalettes - God, they're amazing!"

Or even "Kalettes – God, they're amazing!"

I'm looking forward to trying celtuce, a cross between celery and lettuce.
 plyometrics 13 Dec 2016

No idea why sprouts have a bad rap, assume it's down to poor prepping and over cooking.

Roasted, I think they're a taste sensation and I eat them throughout the year, when I can get my hands on them.
 Shani 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> No, but kale is the work of the devil.

Not so! It is what you do with it:

1. Wash and shred the Kale.
2. Toss the kale in a large bowl with the olive oil and a few pinches of salt.
3. Spread out the kale on a large baking tray.
4. Bake until a little crispy on the edges .
5. Remove the kale from the oven.
6. Add salt (and a bit of pepper).

It tastes fantastic.
cb294 13 Dec 2016

Kalettes are the spawn of satan. What is wrong with the twenty or so traditional variants of Brassica oleracea?

In principle I would not have a problem with adding variant 21. However, it has already become hard to find decent kale or sprouts.

Both should be traditionally harvested only after the first frost, but the bland rubbish you can now buy in supermarkets year round (and which have almost completely displaced the proper vegetables as the new breeds do not require frost) have lost all character. Close your eyes and it could be anything.

Anyway, this thread has reminded me that we did not have had kale with bacon, smoked sausages, and potatoes this year, a proper winter dish. So thanks for setting the menu for the weekend!

CB, kale junkie...
 kathrync 13 Dec 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> No idea why sprouts have a bad rap, assume it's down to poor prepping and over cooking.

> Roasted, I think they're a taste sensation and I eat them throughout the year, when I can get my hands on them.

I'm with you - and I like them roasted but my favourite way to eat them is to cut them into quarters and stir-fry with bacon, chestnuts and a bit of lemon juice and black pepper. If they have come out of the garden, I add the small leaves from the tops as well.

However, sprouts (and some other green veg like broccoli) contain a family of bitter compounds called glucosinolates. Some people have a taste receptor for these compounds and perceive sprouts as unpleasantly bitter - other people don't have this receptor and don't taste the bitterness or at least not to the same extent. Of course, this isn't absolute - some people enjoy the bitter taste and it can be masked by the way you cook sprouts, but it does go some way to explain why they are such a controversial vegetable - people actually taste them differently.
In reply to That Shallot: I know. I found these at Aldi and love 'em. F*ck the "typo" morons - who care's what their thinking?

Rog Wilko 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Not so! It is what you do with it:

> 1. Wash and shred the Kale.

> 2. Toss the kale in a large bowl with the olive oil and a few pinches of salt.

> 3. Spread out the kale on a large baking tray.

> 4. Bake until a little crispy on the edges .

> 5. Remove the kale from the oven.

> 6. Add salt (and a bit of pepper).

> It tastes fantastic.

I agree as far as the word "in" in no. 2. Delete the rest and substitute "the compost bin".
 Shani 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I know. I found these at Aldi and love 'em. F*ck the "typo" morons - who care's what their thinking?

I see what you did their.
Lusk 13 Dec 2016
In reply to felt:

> I'm looking forward to trying celtuce, a cross between celery and lettuce.

I'm looking forward to potallots, then I only have peel one vegetable when I make frittatas.

Please everyone don't get me wrong .

I love sprouts very much, but they do get a bad rap by a lot of people in the media and in comedy, so hence my opening post.

I think of sprouts as the bigger stronger brother of garden peas.
That said I think Kalettes are just simpler to prepare .

I discovered them in my local Lidl about a year ago (they called them flower sprouts back then) . I've been waiting all year for them to reappear.
I'm considering it Santa's present to me.

Shani 13 Dec 2016

> Please everyone don't get me wrong .

> I love sprouts very much, but they do get a bad rap by a lot of people in the media and in comedy, so hence my opening post.

> I think of sprouts as the bigger stronger brother of garden peas.

I like sprouts, but peas are Satan's testicles as far as I am concerned. However, on your recommendation, I shall be purchasing some kalettes this week.
 nniff 13 Dec 2016

Sprouts cooked with carrots - the latter add their sweetness and remove some of the bitterness that can dominate. Yummy
 Big Ger 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Not so! It is what you do with it:

> 1. Wash and shred the Kale.

> 2. Toss the kale in a large bowl with the olive oil and a few pinches of salt.

> 3. Spread out the kale on a large baking tray.

> 4. Bake until a little crispy on the edges .

> 5. Remove the kale from the oven.

> 6. Add salt (and a bit of pepper).

> 7. Throw in the bin, have chips instead.

FTFY

Shani 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
I too was a cynic until Mrs Shani pulled a tray of these bad boys out of the oven. Trust me, it's awesome.

Not as good as chips though.
Post edited at 22:00
 aln 13 Dec 2016

Every time someone eats kalettes one of Santa's reindeer's dies
 d_b 15 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

In that case I shall buy some and eat them whether I like it or not.
Jim C 15 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

> Every time someone eats kalettes one of Santa's reindeer's dies

Is this a trap for pedants to reveal themselves?
 aln 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Got you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...