UKC

Explanation of this sentence please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 30 Dec 2016
"the Bill must provide tougher safeguards to ensure that the Government cannot abuse its powers to undermine Parliament’s ability to hold the Government to account."

I just don't understand it. Can someone please explain what it means please.

Its from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigatory_Powers_Act_2016

Thankyou
 Timmd 30 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ice Doctor:
Parliament can hold governments to account, and with governments having certain powers, if they abuse them they can/may undermine the ability of parliament to hold them to account, so the Bill needs to provide tougher/better safeguards to stop this from happening.

Not in the same order as the sentence, but HTH
Post edited at 20:18
 Bulls Crack 30 Dec 2016

Government needs to be publically accountable via the parliamentary system and process. The government realises this and forestalls any criticism by using its paliamentary majority to pass a law that seemingly regulates its own operation, where in fact Minister, it's using that majority to subvert parliament and pull the wool over the eyes of the public and so do what it wants.
 Greasy Prusiks 30 Dec 2016

Either...

This is a law that'll try and make sure the government can't use its powers to stop it's self being accountable to parliament.

Or...

We're doing something useful, honest we are! Now where are those expenses forms? Just add a zero here and another one here, perfect. Now what times PMQs? Remember nudge me once when you want me to jeer and twice when you want me to stop that way I don't have to keep track of who's speaking.
There was a really good article on the BBC website yesterday about how Cameron was cornered into calling the referendum. It really showed how various parliamentary processes could be high-jacked by a small group to influence government policy. I have searched the site but can't find it. Am I wrong to think it might have been archived?

> "the Bill must provide tougher safeguards to ensure that the Government cannot abuse its powers to undermine Parliament’s ability to hold the Government to account."

The problem is that it's so badly written that on first reading it seems that the second infinitive (to undermine) refers to safeguards in the same way that the first one (to ensure) does. Then when you read it again you realise that 'to undermine ... account' is one big phrase relating to 'its powers'. Not only is this double infinitive confusing, but the sentence is not helped by the strange double-negative effect of 'abuse' and 'undermine' in the weird phrase 'abuse the powers to undermine'. It means something like 'to ensure that the Government doesn't overreach itself with its powers to undermine Parliament's role in holding the Govt to account'. It's still a hell of a mouthful, but I can't be arsed to have a go at re-writing it.
 Chris Harris 30 Dec 2016

"The bill must make sure that the Government cannot change the Rules so that it stops Parliament from being able to say "No" to the Government if the Government wants to do something stupid".

Timmd 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
It's an awful sentence, 'arse about face' was my way of putting it in my thoughts, I'm glad somebody can put it more grammatically than that. It's left me thinking I should look into grammar structures, so that I can say why a sentence isn't well written more clearly.
Post edited at 23:17
 jcw 30 Dec 2016

It seems perfectly clear to me! What's the problem?
 Timmd 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jcw:
Sometimes there's things in Private Eye which I can have to read several times when they're about financial chicanery .

There's no such thing as a silly question.
Post edited at 23:34
 poppydog 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> It's an awful sentence, 'arse about face' was my way of putting it in my thoughts, I'm glad somebody can put it more grammatically than that. It's left me thinking I should look into grammar structures, so that I can say why a sentence isn't well written more clearly.

I think things like this are written in this way so they can be "interpreted" so as to suit whomever wants to use it in a particular way.
paulcarey 31 Dec 2016
 Duncan Bourne 31 Dec 2016

As I see it the phrase seems to say that the government should not be able to undermine the democracy it stands for. For instance by halting all general elections.
 Pete Pozman 31 Dec 2016
> "the Bill must provide... safeguards to ensure that the Government cannot ... undermine Parliament’s ability to hold... them... to account."

NB Parliament is not the same as Government. It is a clumsy sentence. It doesn't always work but the best way to make sense of unwieldy sentences is to chop out all words that don't contribute to the nub.
Post edited at 12:17
 FreshSlate 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Very similar to how I was going to write it:

"The Bill must provide tougher safeguards so the government cannot undermine Parliament's ability to hold them to account."

In reply to paulcarey:
That's the one thanks - I searched the BBC website with several appropriate tags but found nothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...