UKC

BD Ion VS Petzl E-lite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 10 Jan 2017
£14 for the Elite

£10 for the Ion

Which would you get as a back up to a BD Icon?

I am thinking e lite
 tjin 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

A newer Elite is coming out soon, so if you are not in hurry...
OP zimpara 10 Jan 2017
In reply to tjin:

Ah, hence the £14 clearance price. Whats the new one bragging about?
 Mal Grey 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I've never used the Ion, but very much like the E+lite. I would say they're a little different in concept.

THe E+lite really is a spare only sort of thing, its fine for close up work and in a tent, but quite low powered for navigating. I have, though, used it for whole weekends when I've forgotten the Myo, and its fine, still better than a Petzl Zoom! It really is tiny, and the weight is almost unnoticeable, so it lives inside my first aid kit. Batteries are a little harder to find, but still common, and seem to last a good length of time. The way it switches on and off, allowing red only use, is useful.

The Ion packs quite a punch at 100 Lumens, and on paper seems to beat the E+Lite. OK its twice the weight, but that's still only 50g, and it only looks a little bigger. Batteries common too.

I reckon if its purely as an emergency back up, the E+lite will still be best, but if its for occasional use as a proper headlight too, the Ion looks good.
 More-On 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

They've upped the power to 50 lumens and changed the strap back to elastic. It also comes with a case again.
An absolutely brilliant emergency light IMHO
 Dell 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I recently picked up a reduced e-lite as a spare and I am well impressed, carrying spare batteries won't be a chore either.

Despite the extra 20 grams, the Alpkit Indigo would be a better back-up than the Ion, which has had iffy reviews due to it's wierd touch sensor.

Ideally you want a spare that uses the same batteries as your main lamp (obviously I didn't follow this rule with the e-lite, but CR2032's are tiny)

So my choice would be e-lite first, Indigo second.
 benp1 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Actually, I'd say you want a spare that takes non-rechargeable lithium cells. They last for ages, so when you pull the light out of your pack you'll know the batteries will be fine. You don't want to have to think about your emergency light

I have 3 E+lites
- one in my cycle commuting bag as backup
- one for off road riding as backup
- one for taking on trips etc just in case

They're so small that you don't really notice they're there
 PPP 10 Jan 2017
In reply to benp1:

> Actually, I'd say you want a spare that takes non-rechargeable lithium cells. They last for ages, so when you pull the light out of your pack you'll know the batteries will be fine. You don't want to have to think about your emergency light

I believe E+Lite battery lasts 10 years if unused.

Agreed with people as above, great emergency light. Won't replace my main light and I rarely even take it out, but I'd rather take a torch which is lighter/smaller than 2xAA batteries. If your main torch fails, you have a spare one...
OP zimpara 10 Jan 2017
In reply to PPP:

Thanks chaps. Just bought n E lite. Plenty bright enough to walk with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...