UKC

Cloggy from Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Graham 15 Jan 2017
Always accessed Cloggy from old road head but this is probably a bit too much hassle with parking nowadays.

Had to walk all the way down to Llanberis once, it seemed an awfully long way.

Is there a good way to walk past Cyrn Las (or whatever its called now ) and carry over the ridge to access Cloggy ?

Heard of folk going that way but usually having an epic.
Old Skooled 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

I once walked to Cloggy via a solo of Main Wall on Cyrn Las - but it was hard work (not epic, just a slog). It works as part of an enchainment type day out but it definitely doesn't work as an approach to Cloggy.
 Dave Ferguson 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

na, its much easier walking from beris, its a real flog up to cloggy station from the pass. If you're up early you can still park up at the gate, alternatively drive your mate and sacks up and walk up from victoria terrace.
 spenser 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

You could park at the park and ride car park in Nant Peris and go up Lechog rib, it's in the Scrambles and Easy climbs in Snowdonia guide, I soloed it a couple of years ago without any issues (I think it was grade 2, pretty pleasant). You hit the Llanberis path just below cloggy from what I remember.
J1234 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
Taxi from the Padarn to the gate at the bend above the Chesters Hut, £5, £2.50 each well spent.
Post edited at 19:43
 Steve Clegg 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

WWTD??
Steve
In reply to Lenin:

Great idea - you're a genius!
 Mick Ward 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Rick, that way up over the ridge is a real pig. I only did it 'cos the guy with me (mentioned on the other thread) insisted. And then he want into burn-off mode...

A Scouse mate, the illustrious Ian Jones, had an '80s Beris wheeze whereby he'd commission a taxi, fill it with the great unwashed (to lower the individual charge) and exhort the driver further and further. (You could go further then but hardly recommended.) Much to everyone's disgust, I'd be the first to crack and say, "It's OK mate, you've done a grand job getting us this far. We can walk from here."

We were all kind of saving 'Taxi to Clog' as a new route name but were too out of it to get round to actually doing any new routes. (A far cry from today when the notion of running out of time is a stringent incentive.)

I'd concur with the notion of getting a taxi for the first bit (which is really the worst).

However one does it, when you finally get up there, what a place!

Mick
 GPN 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
The walk in from Ynys Ettws is fine - it takes about 1.45 I think. The pull out of Cwm Glas is quite steep but relatively short.
In reply to GPN:

The first time I ever visited Cloggy in 1969, with my brother, we went directly up from Nant Peris, somewhere around Llechog I think, did Great Slab, and then returned the same way. I have a vague memory of it being steep but can't remember anything else about it at all (tho' I can remember Great Slab quite vividly), so it can't have been that bad.
OP Rick Graham 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Steve Clegg:
> WWTD??

He got a lift up with me.

But because I was climbing with my son and finishing late (! ) , he walked down by the bum hole crags and had a 'mare.

Hence my question.

Edit. and if T has a mare I think twice
Post edited at 22:34
 Solaris 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

In 1976 I descended from Cloggy to the old Cromlech car park and then reascended. I was with Gordon Jenkin (Hello Gordon, if you're reading this) and another mate.

By the time we'd arrived at the Halfway House, we'd realized that we had a stove but no food. They were just closing but their generosity did stretch to selling us – two distinctly dirty hippies and one City gent – half a dozen tea bags and their remaining supply of Mr Kipling's Exceedingly Good Cakes – six, I think. We passed a slightly hungry night pretending we were training for the N Face of the Dru.

Next day I was deputed to go down to the Pass. Cwm Hetiau and Cwm Glas Bach threatened to be ankle breakers, but I don't remember much else about the descent, so it couldn't have been *so* bad, though I've never felt inclined to repeat the experience. That afternoon we attempted Llithrig but the heavens opened after the pendulum move, so abb'd off a wobbly peg in the gathering gloom. Never done the Dru.
OP Rick Graham 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Lenin:

> Taxi from the Padarn to the gate at the bend above the Chesters Hut, £5, £2.50 each well spent.

I remember driving further than that, almost to the farm at the top. Parking for about six cars on a built up pull off on the right? Used to doss up there after the pub to ensure a parking spot.
 Misha 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
Yeah, walked in from Ynys once. Bit of a scramble up heather and bits of rock once above Cyrn Las, no path there. Good burn for the legs. Made sense as we were going for Shrike and the Axe, so needed to be at the top anyway. If you're doing something from the bottom, you'd be gaining unnecessary height.
 Misha 16 Jan 2017
In reply to GPN:
I think we did it in about 1.15...
 paul mitchell 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

All we need now is a giant electric heater to warm CLog up,energy from the nearby hydo generator.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The first time I ever visited Cloggy in 1969, with my brother, we went directly up from Nant Peris, somewhere around Llechog I think, did Great Slab, and then returned the same way. I have a vague memory of it being steep but can't remember anything else about it at all (tho' I can remember Great Slab quite vividly), so it can't have been that bad.

That was the way I 1st approached Cloggy in 1973 - we were camped at Nant Peris and had no wheels. Like you, I can't remember much about the walk, but I do recall White Slab in considerable detail

Chris
 tmawer 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Let the train take the strain!
bill briggs1 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Rick Graham: it's not too bad the way you described and should give you plenty of time on the crag . In days of old we left Sheffield Saturday morning , to the pass , Super Direct on the Nose , Slow Ledge climb , the Ghost on Craig y Rhaeadr then the Grooves on Cyrn Las and over to Cloggy for a quiet ascent of White Slab then to the Hights for a drink and then back to Sheffield and bed.

Michael Hood 17 Jan 2017
In reply to bill briggs1: I don't understand why you went back to Sheffield for an afternoon nap when you could have done more routes in the afternoon

bill briggs1 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:
you are right , it was a bit wasteful packing in when we did , what with Gogarth untouched.
Post edited at 08:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...