UKC

VIDEO: Isabelle Faus climbs The wheel of chaos, ~8B+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Jan 2017
Isabelle Faus, 4 kbIn October 2016, Isabelle Faus repeated Daniel Woods' The wheel of chaos, ~8B+, at Chaos Canyon, in the Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado.

Isabelle is one of only five female climbers who have bouldered ~8B+ or harder. The wheel of chaos was her second of the grade after Amandla...

Read more
Rigid Raider 19 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Fascinating to see the finesse of the woman climber compared with the muscularity of the man who precedes her in that video.
 alx 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

We do not know what preceded those videos, could be those were flash attempts. Isabelle did make WoC look easy which is impressive.
Waldmeister 19 Jan 2017
In reply to alx:

Great ad for smoking pot.
 stp 19 Jan 2017
In reply to alx:

Agreed. We don't really know much at all this ascent - which is poor for a 10 minute video on one boulder. What motivated her to try it? How long did it take? What did it feel it like? What's next? Who else has done it? etc. etc. We don't even know much about her. A short interview would have made a big difference and would have been far more valuable than seeing 7 minutes of failed attempts.

It seems like the trendy way to make videos these days is without any narration and just let the images tell the story. But I think that rarely works well in my opinion. Most videos made in this way don't convey much of a story at all. And a good story is surely the essence of a good filmmaking?
 Adam Lincoln 19 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

"Wow, crazy experience. Started trying last year, took me 2 or three days just to be able do all the moves. This year started started out a lil quicker, by my 2nd day this year (or it could have been third I can't even remember) I was made it up to the jug rest and fell dry firing of the slopey rail. Then the battle started. I went up there maybe 6 times after the first day of getting very close. Basically I would get to the jug like 3 times a session and 75% of the time fall because my skin was to dry/cold or my foot would pop off the smears. rarely did I feel like I was falling because I was too tired, always my third try of the day I would pump out but the first tries always felt really good,, in the end I probably made it to the jug more than 20 times... i stopped counting it got that bad. I was getting really frustrated and honestly just wanted to quit trying it for this year, but chad wouldn't let me ! credit goes to him ! ) really amped and feeling extra super fit ! Really amazing boulder with great movement, so satisfying"
 Fraser 19 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

Yep, the video left me completely underwhelmed, which is quite an achievement given how good a line the problem appears to be. The joint at the end just summed it up for me ... all a bit lame.
 stp 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

And your point is ... ?
 Valkyrie1968 19 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

She doesn't really seem to be into the sponsorshit/weaving a narrative/"this means so much to me" bollocks that most other full-time climbers vomit out, and that, as a result, we've grown accustomed to. See here: http://www.climbing.com/people/undiscovered-the-isabelle-faus-profile/
 jsmcfarland 19 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I'm happy there's no gushing about how her life has changed as the result of 1 boulder problem etc.
 aln 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

The bouldering was obviously of a high standard but the film was kinda angry and unpleasant. Isn't this stuff supposed to be fun?
 Durbs 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Is a post-climb dooby any different than a post-climb beer?
Given the US's recently relaxed stance on weed, it's really not that shocking
Waldmeister 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Durbs:
But still no good role model.
funkinstein 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Hahaha. you're a bunch of butt hurt sallies.
 douwe 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Video from Chad Greedy's channel.
More quality stuff there with Dave Graham and Nalle also.

stp 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

She's also done another 8b now, Free Range in Boulder - her 12th 8B or harder. Impressive.

http://onbouldering.com/freen-range-v13-by-isabelle-faus/
 Greasy Prusiks 20 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Inspiring video. Showed that lack of talent is no barrier to a career in music.

That was a pretty cool boulder though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...