UKC

Courmayeur Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Bantam 20 Jan 2017
Morning.

I'm off to Courmayeur in a couple of weeks, having never been there before. Any one have any recommendations for:

Favourite runs
Good circuits to do
Mountain cafe/restaurants
Places to eat/drink in town

We are all decent skiers who can get down anything, but equally are happy a enjoying a good cruisey blue as much as a great black or powder bowl.

Thanks.
 kingborris 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

Dont miss the Creux red run.
 walts4 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

> Mountain cafe/restaurants

http://www.grivel-courmayeur.it/en/restaurant-courmayeur/14-0.html

This place, its above the plan checrouit bubble perched away from the rest of the restaurants, so easy to miss.
Great terrace for pizza, with a more extensive menu downstairs.
OP The Bantam 20 Jan 2017
In reply to kingborris:

Thanks. Can't find that run on the piste map. Roughly where is it?
In reply to walts4:

Great! Thanks.
 JHolland 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

Two places to eat...

Maison vielle at the col between the val veny and dolonne sides. A little pricey, but top notch food in a stunning location.

Alternatively there's a place down at zerotta (the name escapes me) which serves up large platters of slow cooked pork to share between a party, highly recommended!!

Top runs would be from the top of the ski area all the way through to courmayeur (following any one of a few reds in the middle), and the whole area on the far right of the piste map.

If you've never been, it's worth going through the tunnel for a day and skiing at the grands montets (argentiere) for a day. Amazing big mountain glacial environment from the top lift, quite unlike most other organised ski areas!
 kingborris 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

ignore me. i read courcheval not courmayeur. wrong resort!
 smithaldo 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:
Chiecco restraunt is amazing. Not ridiculous prices and amazing wine selection. It's on the slopes near one of the bubbles and the run down to town. Think there is a website?
In reply to The Bantam:

Excellent, thanks.
In reply to smithaldo:

Will check it out! Thanks.
 smithaldo 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam: the tunnel pizza restraunt in town is also good. As is the wine shop on the main roundabout next to where the buses go from.

oggi 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

The Valle Blanche from Courmayeur is great, very easy to access. You need to get transport back from Chamonix but Guides will arrange that or if you are doing it yourself you can catch the bus.
 sg 20 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

Mainly just enjoy those views. As a pseudo climber (me), being able to gaze across at a wintry peuterey ridge, freney face etc. is v cool. Skiing generally fab (especially that side of the resort, I thought) but bit of a scrum getting the big oldish lift to the top.
No idea re. eating places, sorry. Have fun, v jealous.
 Dave 22 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

As others have said, the Zerotta restaurant on the Val Veny side is nice for lunch. In general you cannot go wrong in Italy for food, plus a 1 Eur espresso. With a bit of poking around you can find some nice steep off piste runs through the tree from the Col Checrouit down towards the Val Veny side, also good on a cloudy day. Ther's a very nice off piste which usually holds good snow from the top of the Cresta Youla lift which drops down into a couple of steep bowls and leads down a gully to the Val Veny road down which you ski to finish at the Zerotta restaurant and lift for lunch/beer/another round. Avy gear and some knowledge required. There are some more good off piste runs from the Cresta d'Arp that are marked as off piste itineries on the ski map. Otherwise lots of wide open cruising pistes.
craigloon 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave:

The cafe at the bottom of the Plan Checrouit bubble (I think) does the best hot chocolate known to humankind. More like chocolate soup.
 Andy Lagan 23 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

We always have lunch at Christiania restaurant at Checrouit. It is run by a really friendly family, great food, great atmosphere. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Removed User 23 Jan 2017
In reply to smithaldo:

The Tunnel is a brilliant place.
 brian_m 23 Jan 2017
In reply to The Bantam:

Don't miss Bar Roma in town after skiing. The beer is on the expensive side but well worth it for the large table of free food provided.

As others have said food is good everywhere.

Some great off-piste from Youla and Arp if you know what you're doing.
OP The Bantam 24 Jan 2017
In reply to everyone:

Some great stuff everyone - thanks. I've got quite a hit list now. Once I get back I'll stick it on here in case useful for anyone searching in the future.

Any other suggestions great accepted too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...