UKC

Donald Strangelove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 23 Jan 2017
Is anyone here old enough to recall the black comedy film "Dr. Strangelove"? Admittedly the scenario is a bit different but since hearing of Trump's election and seeing the inauguration I cannot get the film out of my mind. Anyone not familiar with the film just Google.
In reply to FesteringSore:

> Is anyone here old enough to recall the black comedy film "Dr. Strangelove"? Admittedly the scenario is a bit different but since hearing of Trump's election and seeing the inauguration I cannot get the film out of my mind. Anyone not familiar with the film just Google.

Yes it really isn't that obscure or old a film.

I think I'll refer to Donald as Dr Strange glove (with tiny little hands) from now on .

OP FesteringSore 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Yes it really isn't that obscure or old a film.

1964 I recall

Dr.S at work 23 Jan 2017

> Yes it really isn't that obscure or old a film.

> I think I'll refer to Donald as Dr Strange glove (with tiny little hands) from now on .

piss off, thats my name.
 DerwentDiluted 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> piss off, thats my name.

You cant fight in here,

This is the war room.

> 1964 I recall

Practically yesterday then

Rob Exile Ward 23 Jan 2017

If somebody had made a film in 1964 about what has happened over the last 3 months, it wouldn't have been funny because it would have been too far fetched.
 Michael Hood 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: I still think it's so funny that The Simpsons predicted a Trump presidency back in 2000. Maybe we should look at more old episodes to see what else is going to happen in this post-truth (wtf does that mean?) world.

In reply to Michael Hood:

> I still think it's so funny that The Simpsons predicted a Trump presidency back in 2000. Maybe we should look at more old episodes to see what else is going to happen in this post-truth (wtf does that mean?) world.

I think it refers to a world where many people like to believe lies over obvious and provable truths, unfortunately.

zebidee 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I still think it's so funny that The Simpsons predicted a Trump presidency back in 2000. Maybe we should look at more old episodes to see what else is going to happen in this post-truth (wtf does that mean?) world.

Check out the Doonesbury cartoon predictions ... terrifying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/06/23/how-doonesbur...
http://boingboing.net/2016/09/29/the-doonesbury-trump-retrospec.html
mike bailey 23 Jan 2017

I'm definitely old enough to recall the film, having seen it at the local cinema soon after its release, and many times since. 'Black comedy' doesn't really do it full justice; it's a brilliant satire on the craziness of cold war politics, coming as it did a couple of years after the Cuba missile crisis, and a timely reminder of how we could so easily have been incinerated in a nuclear exchange. Undoubtedly Kubrick's best work, with so many terrific lines... my own favourite being where General Turgidson says to the President in the war room "... if we launch an all-out co-ordinated attack now, we've got a damned good chance of catching 'em with their pants down!" Great stuff.

Loads of people have already been making images relating Trump to Major "King" Kong in DS. E.g.:

http://files2.coloribus.com/files/adsarchive/part_2242/22425160/file/trump-...
Andy Gamisou 23 Jan 2017

Thanks you doctor Strangelove for going dolally, and leaving us the heritage of damnation alley.
 The New NickB 23 Jan 2017

It's one of the greatest films ever made. This is one of the funniest scenes.

youtube.com/watch?v=vuP6KbIsNK4&

Funnily enough I was thinking about the film earlier today, but in reference to this thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=657177

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...