UKC

Pyrenees winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jandwilson 25 Jan 2017
I'm going to the Pyrenees (Arrens-marsous) for most of February and March. I'm taking winter climbing gear with me and was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of a guide book for the area or recommend any routes to me?
The closest mountain is Pic de Bazes which certainly looks like it would have routes on it but I can't find any guide book that mentions it.
Thanks for any help!
 Jamie Hageman 26 Jan 2017
In reply to TheBigFactHunt:

Not sure on the mountain you mention, but you're quite close to Gourette, Estaing and Cauterets - the big mountains all around there make great winter mountaineering objectives, and many of the high faces and steeper ridges have technical routes. The book I refer to for technical winter stuff is 'Pyrenees Courses Mixtes, Neige et Glace' by Francis Mousel. Hard to find in the UK but you might be in luck if you visit Pau/Lourdes/Cauterets/Gavarnie.
I've also seen a new book 'Mountaineering In The Pyrenees' written in English, but it's an overview of the whole range.
OP Jandwilson 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I'll keep a eye out for it! Thanks
 Doug 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Do you mean this
https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/climbing/mountaineering-in-... ?

Pity it doesn't say which 25 routes, have you seen it ?
 L.A. 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug: Here you go.......

Introduction & practical information; Pic du Canigou - Quazemi Ridge; Pedraforca - Traverse of the Three Peaks; Mont Valier - Faustin Couloir; Pico de Aneto - Salenques-Tempestades Ridge; Pico de la Maladeta - North-South Traverse; Pic du Maupas - West Ridge; CIRQUE DU PORTILLON; Pic des Crabioules & Pic Lezat - Crabioules-Lezat Ridge; Pic des Spijeoles - South-East Ridge; Pic des Spijeoles - Grand Diedre; Pic des Gourgs Blancs via Pic Jean Arlaud; Pic des Posets - Espadas Ridge; Pic du Neouvielle - Trois Conseillers Ridge; Pic de la Munia - Troumouse Ridge; Grand Astazou - Oublie Couloir; Petit Astazou - North-west Ridge; Pic du Marbore - Passet Ridge; Monte Perdido and Ordesa Valley - Normal Route and Tour of the Valley; Monte Perdido - Esparrets Spur and East Ridge; THE VIGNEMALE; Vignemale - Petit Vignemale-Pique Longue Ridge; Vignemale - North Spur; Vignemale - Classic North Face Route; THE BALAITOUS; Balaitous - North-west Ridge; Pene Sarriere - South Ridge; Pic d'Amoulat - West Ridge; Pic du Midi d'Ossau - Traverse of the Four Peaks; Huts and information.
 galpinos 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:
On the link you posted, if you click on the "look inside with Issu" link, it will take you to the Issu page in which you can look at the contents page, listing all 25 routes and the mountains on which they are located, as well as a handy little map.

https://issuu.com/vertebratepublishing/docs/mountaineering_in_the_pyrenees_...
Post edited at 10:20
 Doug 26 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks, I didn't see that link at first (its a very pale grey on my screen & not very obvious)

I'm also surprised I didn't see it mentioned here when published, maybe it was during a period when I was away from the PC, maybe even in the mountains.
 galpinos 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

No problem. More websites are using it and it's a great feature. I've always fancied the Pyrenees but never been, might have to pick this book up for a nosey and to get some ideas.....
 Doug 26 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

This looks more photogenic & climbing orientated but the book by Kev Reynolds might be a better overview, see http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/420/title/the-pyrenees

But regardless of book, its a great place to visit with many contrasts
 galpinos 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug, the Cicerone guide has the added draw of ski tours too....... and I'm a sucker for guidebooks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...