UKC

California/bears&campervans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Jan 2017
Planning a trip to tuloumne meadows, lake tahoe in August & September. Struggling to find a decent self catering accommodation at an affordable price that hasn't featured in an American police drama scene. Thought about hiring a campervan. Would park at official car parks in the valley during the day for climbing/walking......is this a no no because of the bears? Advice appreciated from people who been and know better. Thanks
 David Coley 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

been
lots of people do this
so one assume ok
 d_b 29 Jan 2017

Bears have not yet learned to use tin openers outside Far Side cartoons. You should be fine.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Bears have not yet learned to use tin openers outside Far Side cartoons. You should be fine.

The can and do break into vehicle with food in, the usual scenario is to bend the top half of the door down and climb in - I've seen it!

Chris
 d_b 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I misremembered this one (it was coathangers): https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ec/fb/e4/ecfbe44b83ab70134ea7d19f...

For the record I have no relevant information but lots of vague memories of past far side comics involving bears
 Jim Lancs 29 Jan 2017
<<I've seen it!>>

So have I!

I saw a VW camper beside the road in the North Cascades which had been ripped apart by bears. They were hungry, they could smell food, the VW was history.
 GridNorth 29 Jan 2017

Do they still have the metal containers and the advice to put food in there?

Al
 hang_about 29 Jan 2017
Been years since I've been there but Lee Vining was a good Base. Up over the Tioga pass to Tuolome, Mono Lake in the background. Much nicer than going up interstate 5.
Has been a while though....
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2017

Shouldn't be any different from car camping. Just don't leave any food or food containers visible. Use bear proof boxes at canpsites.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Shouldn't be any different from car camping. Just don't leave any food or food containers visible. Use bear proof boxes at canpsites.

I assume you mean don't leave 'any food sniffable' - bears have poor eyesight but a great sense of smell,

Chris
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> I assume you mean don't leave 'any food sniffable' - bears have poor eyesight but a great sense of smell,

Yes, but I heard that some have learnt to recognise cool boxes and so on!
Removed User 29 Jan 2017
Ok so campervan out. Any suggestions for accommodation. We don't want to camp for a month
 dunnyg 29 Jan 2017

You can stay in vans, you just have to use bear boxes. Ie stash your stuff in the containers provided at campsites. Hiking parking also has these. There are campsites in tuolomne but they are quite expensive. They charge per site so the more you can fit on it the cheaper. I just camped so cant help with hotels etc..
 cat22 30 Jan 2017

There'll be loads of campervans in the parks all summer. You can't sleep in vehicles outside official campgrounds in Yosemite national park, so you may want to book campgrounds in advance - booking opens 5 months beforehand on the 15th of the month, and weekends will sell out immediately. Camping is very nice around there though - most sites have picnic tables and firepits.

There is no problem leaving food in vehicles during the day in car parks in Yosemite NP. In all the campgrounds in Yosemite, you have to take all food out of your vehicle. There's no regulations around Tahoe as far as I know. Here's some more info from the NPS: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/storingfood.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...