UKC

Quebec Mosque attack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 30 Jan 2017
Another appalling shooting, sadly with several deaths.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38793071

Is there any news yet on who did this and their motives?
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Well if only they had enforced a similar travel ban as the USA and this surely wouldn't have happened.

Disclaimer: I'm being sarcastic

TWS
OP Coel Hellier 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Disclaimer: I'm being sarcastic

Well, we really don't know yet. That's why I'm asking if we know the identities of the attackers and their motives.
 RockAngel 30 Jan 2017

Not sure but the pm is calling it a terrorist attack. Whether that is home grown or from further afield remains to be seen.

My son just rang me to ask if any of our family live in quebec as he just heard it on the news. They all live in ontario.
In reply to RockAngel:

Names of two attackers now confirmed by police: Alexandre Bissonnette (Canadian?) and Mohamed el Khadir (Morroccan). Both students at a local university apparently.

Hmm, there seems to be some doubt as to whether the second name is a suspect or not, he may not be part of it.
 winhill 30 Jan 2017

> Hmm, there seems to be some doubt as to whether the second name is a suspect or not, he may not be part of it.

Yes, a few sites saying el Khadir is a witness.

The suspect is a French Canadian called Alexandre Bissonette and appartently "Liked" Trump and Le Pen on Facebook, which might give a clue as to the possible motive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38805163
In reply to Hugh J:

> The suspect is a French Canadian called Alexandre Bissonette and appartently "Liked" Trump and Le Pen on Facebook, which might give a clue as to the possible motive.

And this is one of the issues which Trump seems to have overlooked. With the rather notable exception of some planes flying into concrete, most killings (note that I used the word killings here and not specifically terrorist killings) are committed by home grown nut jobs whether they are gang/drug related, revenge attacks, faux terrorism, racial, religious or politically motivated.

Whats more saddening about this is that Canada, a country I admire, now as a blot on its history. I cant recall any other Canadian incidents of a similar nature - someone will fill in the blanks though I'm sure.

But what can be done to stop these attacks, I just dont know? You could argue that limiting gun access is a sure way of reducing murders or the severity of these incidents as, say, a knife attacker, as the knife attacker would probably not get as far without intervention by onlookers. That doesnt seem to stop people seemingly hijacking the nearest ten tonne truck and driving it into a group of happy Christmas market customers who are simply enjoying the festivities.

I really do despair sometimes.
 RockAngel 31 Jan 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
2 years ago, on the same day as an American terrorist attack, a police officer was shot. A soldier standing guard in Ottawa was shot as was his job at the memoral. Gunman got into the houses of parliament where several gunshots were heard. He was eventually killed by the head honcho of security/parliament. He was given a standing ovation in parliament the following day. It was October 18th I think. It was over shadowed because there was another attack in America

Edit: October 22, 2014
Happened at parliament hill

Post edited at 14:59
 The New NickB 31 Jan 2017
In reply to RockAngel:

I'm not sure it was overshadowed, it certainly made international news. What was the incident in the US?
 Chris Harris 31 Jan 2017

"The president of the mosque, Mohamed Yangui - who was not inside at the time - said the shooting had happened in the men's section of the mosque.
"Why is this happening here? This is barbaric," he said."

I'm not seeking to trivialise this act, but I can't help but feel that there is a hint of unintended irony here. He seems to be astounded by the concept of someone entering a blameless place of worship & attacking the defenceless occupants.

RockAngel 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

I think it's more in reference to it happening in Canada, rather than in the mosque.
 wbo 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris Harris: the irony is?

Chris Harris 01 Feb 2017
In reply to wbo:

> the irony is?

Ask Jacques Hamel.

Second thoughts, you can't. Because two people entered a blameless place of worship & slit the throat of one of the defenceless occupants. And filmed it.

lummox 01 Feb 2017

Pathetic.
 GrahamD 01 Feb 2017

> Ask Jacques Hamel.

What has Jacques Hamel to do with Mohamed Yangui ? unless, of course, you are implying that all muslims are the same ?
 Thrudge 01 Feb 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> With the rather notable exception of some planes flying into concrete

With the rather notable exception of 2996 murders and 6000 woundings on 9/11

FTFY.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...