UKC

Best wall in Bristol for lead climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pumbaa1987 31 Jan 2017
Hi all. I will be passing through Bristol Friday and I'm going to stop of for a climb. Just wondered where the best wall was to spend my time?
 springfall2008 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Personally I prefer Undercover Rock (Minor Rd) but Redpoint is also good - that's your two choices.
 rocksol 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Main wall!!
 Ian Parsons 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

With the new guide just out I was, like Phil, going to suggest one of the walls in that big gorge. Sadly, the weather forecast indicates otherwise.

[Mea culpa; shameless plug!]
 Fakey Rocks 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Pumbaa1987:
Which way and what time are you passing through?

Ucr, (mina rd) is really close to the m32 just before you hit the centre. (lead + boulder)
So is Bloc (literally adjacent) if u just want to boulder. (bouldering only)
Tca (bouldering only) is only 5 mins more drive from there, or maybe 15 mins, 4pm onwards on friday rush hour.

Redpoint, (lead, boulder, alt training area) is more of a pain to get to if you are just passing through.
For redpoint, If you are going in the afternoon, or after rush hour 6.30 pm on, its not too bad, maybe 15 to 20 mins drive + parking, but if you catch rush hour 30 mins from where the m32 ends.
If not rush hr, coming down the m5 to avonmouth exit then up the portway (avon gorge), daytime you could view some of the crags there, and its an easier drive that way to redpoint, but misses the city "sights". Looks longer, bit quicker though, so long as not rush hr, then long queue but still more straightforward route.

If you are alone, Redpoint has the gps (guaranteed partner scheme) from 6pm ish, just ask to have yr name put on the list, and you will have a partner to share belays with.
Visiting i think u still have to do sign up forms. Some also make you pay £5 on top as membership, even for 1 off visit.
Redpoint also has 2 ( or more yet?) autobelays. (+2 more new boulder walls ar rp.)
Ucr has 1 autobelay, or perhaps more now? . Ucr can be harder to park at?

Bouldering at Bloc is higher, some people find problem setting a bit dodgy there with crux top moves...?

Redpoint will b a pain to park at too in the evening, but sainsbury car park is only 5 mins away.

Haven't been to any for 4 months.
Post edited at 19:26
 springfall2008 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

> Ucr has 1 autobelay, or perhaps more now? . Ucr can be harder to park at?

Sadly the autobelay has gone.

Parking is generally okay, you might have to drive around or park under the tunnel.
In reply to springfall2008:

On an evening you can now park in the Better Food Campaign car park on Sevier Street after 6.00pm . It's a 5 min walk from there.
 springfall2008 03 Feb 2017
In reply to The Climbing Academy:

Yes true, although I must admit I don't really see the point as it's further than just parking on the roads nearby?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...