UKC

Rjukan: Abseils and Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MarkRoe 06 Feb 2017
First time in Rjukan this winter! We're jetting off in 12 days. Two quick questions to the guru's out there:

Does anyone know anywhere i'd be able to pick up a terrain map of the area? I've been keeping my eyes open for a month or so, but the popular Stanford 1:50 one seems to be permanently sold out.

What proportion of the routes require abseil descent,? Abolokov or otherwise.

Thanks,

Mark
 Drew52 06 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

Abseiling through the trees is great cause the anchors are solid, although you then realise that its infuriating pulling the rope out and it catching in all the trees! Ha!
 pec 07 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

If you've got the Rockfax guide you're unlikely to need a map unless you're heading to one of the more remote areas. I'd imagine you could get a map there if you really need one.

Most of the descents are walk offs or abseils from trees, perhaps 50/50? but depends on which crags you go to! Not many would need an ablokov but its always wise to carry the wherewithall to set one up unless you know you definitely won't need it.
 GarethSL 07 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

You can buy a topo map when you are there. Either in the sports shop or tourist information (also selling the guide book).

Until then you can play here: http://www.norgeskart.no

Most of the long routes you can walk off. As its busy there, it isn't smart to abseil back down the routes. There are plenty of trees, many with tat around them. V-threads you can use if you want but are largely unnecessary.
OP MarkRoe 07 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:
Some great responses guys. Thank you for the information.

Another question: Does anyone know what the magnetic variation from Grid North is in Rjukan?
Post edited at 17:30
 SturlaS 07 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

2017-02-07: 2° 36' E ± 0° 26' changing by 0° 10' E per year

Source: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination
 Pay Attention 07 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

The first time I completed Tjonsstadtbergfossen in Rjukan Centre I tried following the others who found the path ...
2 hours later after stumbling past trees and bushes in the dark, ripping my jacket and a gear loop off my rucksack, I realised there is a better way. The second time I abseiled from the tree. 2 rope lengths I believe.
OP MarkRoe 08 Feb 2017
Thank you again for the replies. Hopefully this ends up being useful to other people too.

Seeing as this is going so well...
Does anyone know the best way of getting a forecast out there?

Mr Messy 11 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkRoe:

I would not worry. The car parks are by the routes I most of the places in the valley. The abseils are obvious. The only problem we have had is navigating back to the correct bleedin' airport. A sat nav or road atlas is useful. As others have said the rockfax guide is all you need. Enjoy!! Think of Stanage but with ice. Ho take some super big slings so you can top rope the harder single pitch routes like the Spanish, French and Norwegians do. You will never climb so much ice in a day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...