UKC

Snowdon Railway in Winter Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 20 Feb 2017
Hi, haven't posted in a lonnnng time, but thought if anyone knows the answer, they'll be on this forum!

So thinking of going up snowdon in winter conditions (for walking), in the near future.
I have been on winter skills courses in the past and have a fair few days Winter walking under my belt. I'd say I'm confident.
However, a friend has asked me to go, who doesn't have any Winter equipment.

I personally just throw the crampons and axe in as a matter of course, however, for him to go out and buy the stuff for one day out seems abit of a waste.

Now, inside, I obviously know the answer.
But we are planning on walking the railway up and down Snowdon, which I can't imagine to be too needy for full winter equipment?

Has anyone done this route in the snow? And should I just stick with the gut feeling of, just get him to get the right equipment first?

Thanks!
mysterion 20 Feb 2017
In reply to martinturner:
Don't walk up the railway, there is a winter accident blackspot near the top. If you stay strictly on the Llanberis path it should be ok bar the odd slip onto his arse. That means not leaving the track of footprints at all.
Post edited at 17:04
 mrphilipoldham 20 Feb 2017

You'll be lucky to encounter any snow any time soon!
OP martinturner 20 Feb 2017
Happy days.... cheers for the advice!

We'll give the llanberis path ago instead

Babika 20 Feb 2017
I descended the railway at the top, then the Llanberis path yesterday and although I carried an axe and crampons in my sack, sadly there's no snow so its hardly winter conditions at the moment.

I saw folk on the summit in shorts, trainers, jeans, cotton tracksuit trousers and, amazingly, some black suede shoes with a high heel. Honest.

Have a good trip and if the weather stays the same you will be fine in standard walking gear.
Post edited at 18:01
 richprideaux 20 Feb 2017

I'm curious as to why you think the railway will be less wintery than the footpath or slopes right next to it?
 Billhook 20 Feb 2017

Will there be any snow?
 Dave the Rave 20 Feb 2017
In reply to richprideaux:

> I'm curious as to why you think the railway will be less wintery than the footpath or slopes right next to it?

It's because of the electricity in the track melting the snow.
llechwedd 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> It's because of the electricity in the track melting the snow.

That's your o pinion..
 Glyno 20 Feb 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

> That's your o pinion..

he's just letting off steam
In reply to richprideaux:

So, my main logic wasn't there would be less snow, just the fact it would be a more gradual gradient? So less chance of slipping?

Sorry if the logic doesn't seem correct, I may need a little more train-ing?
llechwedd 20 Feb 2017

as long as you've learned the eryri of your ways...
In reply to llechwedd:

Alright alright.... back on track
 richprideaux 20 Feb 2017

Fair enough. The railway runs along the top of some fairly nasty drops though, so the fall will probably be more consequential.

The weather up there can always turntable on you, but it's good that you've come on here to tender for advice. I don't want to rail you into a decision, maybe you should just sleeper on it?
 static266 20 Feb 2017

Plas y Brenin will hire out winter boots, axe & crampons for a fee of around £5-10 per item per day if not needed for courses. Best to hire it than risk it, unless like other have said and there are no winter ground conditions.
 Dave the Rave 20 Feb 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

> That's your o pinion..

I will sleeper on it
OP martinturner 21 Feb 2017
In reply to static266:

Cheers for the info, even if we don't need them this time, it's good to know!
 HTPumlumon 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I will sleeper on it

Take care - all to easily things can go to rack and ruin!
rackandruin 23 Feb 2017
In reply to HTPumlumon:
Hey !! Leave me out of it !
Post edited at 10:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...