UKC

Superclip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 22 Feb 2017
Does anyone know who stocks these in the UK? I've Googled in vain

http://www.gearexpress.com/superclip-stick-clip.html

Al
 Jenny C 22 Feb 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

CragX at The Foundry used to stock them.
OP GridNorth 22 Feb 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks Jenny but they are not showing up now.

Al
 Scott K 22 Feb 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

What about a trango squid. They are available at Rock and run.
 Pete O'Donovan 22 Feb 2017
In reply to GridNorth:
Why don't you just buy one direct from gearexpress.com? It doesn't look that expensive..?

After seeing an advert in the U.S. 'Climbing' magazine I bought a couple of these about 10 years ago (direct from Superclip) and they are, with certain limitations, the best stick-clips I've used.

The device is pretty foolproof: it securly holds just about any krab/quickdraw ever made and what's more, can also be used to remove quickdraws from below in case of a failed attempt.

On the downside, they can only be attached to 'standard' poles (the sort of thing decorators use with rollers) so you're looking at something far less portable than, say, a BetaStick. Also, the spring-steel screw-on design means that once you've attached it to the end of the pole it's virtually impossible to remove — the spring just tightens up on itself as you unscrew it.

These days I tend to carry a Betastick 'Technical', mainly because it's so compact, but I still love the simplicity of the Superclip.

Pete.
OP GridNorth 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Scott K:

> What about a trango squid. They are available at Rock and run.

Overly complicatad and flimsy. I know a couple of guys who had one and they broke.

I may have to stick with my homemade one after reading Pete O'Donovan's comments. At least it portable enough to take abroad as it's made with tent poles and a krab that has a lever to hold the gate open.

Al
 Pete O'Donovan 23 Feb 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

Just a quick update: after my comments yesterday regarding the difficulty of removing the Superclip head from the pole I decided to fire off the question to Superclip themselves. I received a quick response from a guy named Russ who told me that the easiest way to do it was to use two pairs of pliers to apply opposing forces to the thread on the Superclip device, which 'opens' it up a little, and then get a second person to unscrew the pole. That certainly beats my previous method of using a blowtorch to melt the (plastic) head of the pole!

Agree about the Squid — rubbish.

Pete.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...