UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Avon Gorge: Britain's Unique City Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 03 Mar 2017
Avon Gorge Sample Page, 4 kb'Avon Gorge supplies the ultimate urban adventure climbing experience, all within Bristol's city boundary. Here, dramatic limestone cliffs rise to 70 metres above the River Avon only four kilometres west of Bristol's city centre. Long time a crucible for adventure and innovation on the rock, Avon Gorge is one of Britain's most historic climbing sites, posturing at times at the cutting edge of limestone climbing development.'

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

For those interested there's also an in-depth discussion of the guide here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=657738

I'm currently writing a review of the guide, which should be published within the next couple of weeks.
 Richard Hall 03 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Who is that handsom chap in he red t-shirt?
In reply to Richard Hall:

One of the best pics in the that Dick, hero shot if ever there was one.

What's it the route (not fame) like btw? Despite the fact theres bolts I gather it's some reasonable distance short from a sport route
 BALD EAGLE 03 Mar 2017

> Who is that handsom chap in he red t-shirt?

What the one with a face like a bag of chisels...
 Richard Hall 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Enough with the flattery, it's not going to sell advertising for you

The route is absolutely awesome.

That picture is of the crux, I fell off shortly afterwards and ended up at the belay.

In my opinion this route is best attempted as a F7b/+ onsighter, as I was at the time. This will allow you to get to the very run out crux, but will mean you will probably fail. This route is all about the air time, if you onsight 7c or above you are cheating the route!
 Richard Hall 03 Mar 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Not as young as I used to be
Post edited at 12:51
 BALD EAGLE 03 Mar 2017

> Not as young as I used to be

Ha ha welcome to my world!

Shit, might have to get on it then - sounds like I'm in prime condition (i.e. likely to fall).
 Richard Hall 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yeah do, it's an absolutely stonking route.

See you next week.
 stp 04 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Intrigued as to why the Ramp Challenge doesn't include the E4 Big Wednesday. Surely worth a star or two. Perhaps the dyno is too hard maybe?
 Mick Ward 04 Mar 2017
In reply to stp:

Isn't Big Wednesday supposed to be a total sandbag at E4? I remember listening to an account by one (very highly talented) ascentionist and muttering, "Sounds more like E6 to me." He mused a little. "You might be right..." And that's as close as I'm getting to it!

Mick
 Richard Hall 04 Mar 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:
Big Wednesday is hard, but only for one move and it's safe.

It would be the easiest E6 at Avon. As it stands it is the hardest E4 at Avon!
 Ian Parsons 05 Mar 2017

How about...oh, I don't know - E5?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 05 Mar 2017

Harder than Tunnel Vision (E4 6c)?! Surely not!! Every year I go back (having consistently climbed much harder than E4) and every year Im shut down!
 stp 13 Mar 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

As Richard says.

The problem is that it's a big dyno and for lots of climbers (including me) that's a weakness. There just aren't that many dyno routes around so we don't get much practice. But for those who are good at dynos it's not such a big deal. One 6b jump move to a good hold with good pro adds up to E4. I imagine it might be height/reach dependent too. The smaller one is the bigger the jump.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...