UKC

The Azure window on Gozo is gone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Alden 08 Mar 2017
Very sad to say that the Azure window on Gozo collapsed completely during the storm we had here last night. It seems that it's not only the arch itself which fell into the sea but the whole structure. A very very sad loss of an iconic rock formation which was expected to remain standing for decades longer despite recent sections crumbling.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170308/local/the-azure-window-l...

d_b 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:

It's my fault. I had one of the routes there on my list for my visit later this month
OP Simon Alden 08 Mar 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

You bastard!
 Chris the Tall 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:

Wow - when I first saw the headline I checked the date, just to make sure it wasn't a April fools hoax.

Even more incredible is that the stack has gone as well.

One thing I noticed when we were on Gozo was the triple layer nature to the cliffs - solid limestone at the top and bottom, but a very soft sandy layer in the middle. A bit like a custard cream ! Wonder if the stack went first - the middle layer collapsing or slipping, and that took down the arch

Pleased to see Wied -al-mediah (sorry for the spelling!) is still standing
OP Simon Alden 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Hey Chris yes thank god Wied Mielah is still standing. We're hoping that the tourist circus doesn't now move there though. It's still relatively quiet due to the more difficult access. A geologist did confirm that its the pillar that went down first and brought down the arch with it. Sad ...people here are in a state of shock!
 DerwentDiluted 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:
Gozo Gozo Gone (3c)....
Post edited at 16:54
 chris m fisher 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:

Its crazy to think it's gone, such a shame.... fortunately though there's still so many other reasons to visit Gozo
 Red Rover 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:

Is this the arch where chris sharma did the route with the big dyno?
 dunnyg 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

Try googling chris sharma sea arch dyno and find out!
 Fraser 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

No, that's on Mallorca ("Es Pontas")
 Chris the Tall 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden:

Hi simon. On the subject of Wied il Meliah, could you move this route The Light at the End of the Tunnel (VS 5a) to its correct position between 30 seconds to sunset and little nobbles.

I doubt it will get repeated now there are bolted routes on either side, but we have very fond memories of it, so it would be nice if it's recorded correctly
OP Simon Alden 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Done!
 Chris the Tall 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Alden: Thanks
 Chris the Tall 15 Mar 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...