UKC

Theresa May has her finger on the pulse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Apr 2017
Apparently the most important issue at the moment is whether Cadbury and the NT use the wordEaster in their Easter activities. While in Saudi Arabia doing who knows what. Straight out of the Putin play book.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Apparently the most important issue at the moment is whether Cadbury and the NT use the wordEaster in their Easter activities. While in Saudi Arabia doing who knows what. Straight out of the Putin play book.

She was asked a question. She answered. Isn't that what we want our politicians to do?
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
I think people are a bit miffed that she was like greased lightning condemning the national trust over an easter egg hunt but it took her days to say she didn't agree with trumps travel ban.
Post edited at 12:56
 wintertree 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I wish she'd gone a little bit further and called out the cry babies at the CofE, and reminded them that Easter predates them and their nasty little club. You don't see the bible talking about eggs and rabbits, do you?

Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> I think people are a bit miffed that she was like greased lightning condemning the national trust over an easter egg hunt but it took her days to say she didn't agree with trumps travel ban.

Are you seriously equating the two? Nuts.
 Trevers 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> She was asked a question. She answered. Isn't that what we want our politicians to do?

It would be nice if they answered the difficult questions about our country's future, not the easy ones about some anti-PC outrage.

It would also have been nice if she'd been as happy to criticise the Daily Mail for their 1930s Germany inspired headlines when pressed on that, but prime ministers must prioritise the important issues I suppose.
 jonfun21 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
She achieved her objective.

By responding she focused the media (and public due to the click bait it provides) on something totally inconsequential and diverted attention away from things that really matter/have a significant impact on people's lives.
Post edited at 13:21
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to jonfun21:

> She achieved her objective.By responding she focused the media (and public due to the click bait it provides) on something totally inconsequential and diverted attention away from things that really matter/have a significant impact on people's lives.

Do you really believe that? Nuts.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Trevers:

> It would be nice if they answered the difficult questions about our country's future, not the easy ones about some anti-PC outrage.It would also have been nice if she'd been as happy to criticise the Daily Mail for their 1930s Germany inspired headlines when pressed on that, but prime ministers must prioritise the important issues I suppose.
>
Top whataboutery. Why not just say "She's a Tory woman who reminds me of Thatcher so I hate her" . Much more straightforward.

Trevers 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Top whataboutery. Why not just say "She's a Tory woman who reminds me of Thatcher so I hate her" . Much more straightforward.

I was responding to you saying politicians never answer questions, which seems to be inverse whataboutery if that makes sense (i.e. defending her for not answering questions by saying she answered one here).

She doesn't remind me of Thatcher in the slightest. Thatcher was her own woman who had more balls than our current cabinet combined.
 jonfun21 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Do you really believe that everything she says is not carefully planned and considered by a team of spin/PR people?....that is and has been the reality of politics for the last 20 or so years at least.

Meanwhile the real game/items are impact are being played out in the 'background' ref. weapons to Saudi Arabia, f&cking over bereved families etc.

Blame also lies with the media for falling for these non-stories, not asking questions that are of actual importance.

However at its most basic level by clicking on the links (and associated advertising) to these non stories the public fuels the demand for them.....hence taken to an extreme news that has an actual impact on people's lives will eventually cease to exist.
 jkarran 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Busy flogging arms that will likely be used against civilians in Yemen while famine stalks... Wants talk Easter eggs with the press. Surprise surprise.

Contemptible but we'd better get used to it.
jk
Post edited at 13:44
 MG 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

She gives an immediate, full answer to a vital question about Easter eggs.

She ducks, dives and weaves on trivialities like invading Spain, Trump, EU citizens in the UK, whether we will crash out of the EU with no deal, the UK breaking up.

Yep, definitely a PM of stature and vision.
 seankenny 04 Apr 2017
In reply to MG:

> She gives an immediate, full answer to a vital question about Easter eggs.She ducks, dives and weaves on trivialities like invading Spain, Trump, EU citizens in the UK, whether we will crash out of the EU with no deal, the UK breaking up.Yep, definitely a PM of stature and vision.

Indeed. With some posters, never be too afraid to call Torybot.
 summo 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> I think people are a bit miffed that she was like greased lightning condemning the national trust over an easter egg hunt but it took her days to say she didn't agree with trumps travel ban.

Maybe one is more complex and mired in details, the other lives in the land of trolls & fairies, thus requiring only about 5 secs of thought?
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

It was actually intended as a bit of a light hearted comment.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to MG:

> She gives an immediate, full answer to a vital question about Easter eggs.
>
Sheesh. If someone bowls you a donkey drop you hit it to the boundary. If somebody bowls you a googly you block it.
It's not the politician who chooses the question.
 Trevers 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Sheesh. If someone bowls you a donkey drop you hit it to the boundary. If somebody bowls you a googly you block it. It's not the politician who chooses the question.

But politics is just not cricket!
 alastairmac 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

There is nothing incidental about it. The Easter nonsense is simple distraction politics. While May actively courts a medieval dictatorship responsible for causing a humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen..... with the express purpose of selling them more weapons and finding new ways to support an indefensible war. And as her government introduces new legislation that will cause another 250,000 children to be forced into poverty. Under Theresa May the UK has deserted any moral high ground it once held.
 Bob Kemp 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

That's a disingenuous reply. As you know perfectly well the politician chooses which questions to answer, and how, which is what matters here.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> That's a disingenuous reply. As you know perfectly well the politician chooses which questions to answer, and how, which is what matters here.

Exactly the point I made. She got bowled a donkey drop so she gave it a good smack. If she gets a hard one she's more circumspect. Are under the impression that this approach is unique to Mrs.May, or the Tory scum?

Mr.Howard very foolishly mistook an outswinger for a long hop and dished up an easy catch
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to MG:

> She ducks, dives and weaves on trivialities like invading Spain,
>
I call fake news....

MG 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> >I call fake news....

Well it took her 18hrs to say she wouldn't. But it is only a triviality.

Just think if it had been something important that took her that long, like Easter eggs. Horrible to contemplate. As I say, a women and vision and stature.
 GrahamD 04 Apr 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

When did the UK actually hold the moral high ground by not courting arms sales to Saudi Arabia ? This isn't a Theresa May thing, this is business as usual made all the more important for us because of the will of the people.
 mrphilipoldham 04 Apr 2017
In reply to jkarran:

We've been selling arms to the Saudis for years haven't we? I'm pretty used to it already.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to MG:

>
Her office put out a statement and she followed uo whilst en route to the Gulf.

What next, demanding an instant tweet whilst she's taking a dump?

Ask yourself, honestly, would you be demanding the same from say, Ed Miliband?
 alastairmac 04 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

I think the arms sales to Saudi Arabia take on added significance when they are responsible for widespread famine and thousands of civilian deaths in Yemen. All happening right now. And I hope I don't have to meet many of the people whose "will" Mrs May claims to represent.
 jkarran 04 Apr 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> We've been selling arms to the Saudis for years haven't we? I'm pretty used to it already.

Of course. Still, I don't suppose it's the image May particularly wants to promote especially in light of the recent Saudi war crimes allegations brushed under the carpet by Johnson and the possibility we'll need to do a lot more cuddling up to repressive regimes with our blind eye turned to tide us over outside Europe in the years to come.
jk
 summo 04 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> When did the UK actually hold the moral high ground by not courting arms sales to Saudi Arabia ? This isn't a Theresa May thing, this is business as usual made all the more important for us because of the will of the people.

Boris said it as it was a few weeks ago and he got hounded for it, by many of the same people who are now complaining about May. Blair's track record of cosying upto dictators is dire and Corbyn has invited all sorts of despicable folk to tea.
 Duncan Bourne 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Ask yourself, honestly, would you be demanding the same from say, Ed Miliband?

Hm ask yourself would you be so quick to defend Corbyn if he was answering the same issue?

I am not slagging May off just noting that is just the way it goes. Right slags left and defends right and Left slags right and defends left.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Hm ask yourself would you be so quick to defend Corbyn if he was answering the same issue?
>
This Corbyn of whom you speak. Who is he

But seriiusly, no, but i doubt I'd waste time slagging him off for a straightforward answer to a trivila question either. There are much more important thungs to slag them Both off for.

The New NickB 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
> She was asked a question. She answered. Isn't that what we want our politicians to do?

The stupidity of the answer didn't help. As any vicar's daughter should know, Easter Eggs have got nothing to do with the Christian Easter story. That said, the Archbishop's Canterbury and York, were being equally moronic. I expect better from Welsby, Sentamu obviously not.

Edit to give Sentamu a special mention. He has said that the decision to drop "Easter" from the name of the Cadbury's Egg Hunt is akin to spitting on John Cadbury's grave, with him famously being a Christian. More specifically, Cadbury was a Quaker. Quaker's don't actually celebrate Easter, as they consider every day a holly day.
Post edited at 17:14
 Bob Hughes 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Right slags left and defends right and Left slags right and defends left.

right slags, the lot of 'em

Chris the Tall 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> > Sheesh. If someone bowls you a donkey drop you hit it to the boundary. If somebody bowls you a googly you block it. It's not the politician who chooses the question.

I think she's come dancing down the wicket to a slower ball and tried to slog it over deep midwicket but has miscued it and it's ballooned up to mid-off, only for the fielder to drop it because he's not up to the job. So they've scurried through for a quick single and left Boris dangling his stick of rhubarb in the corridor of uncertainty !
 GrahamD 04 Apr 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

> I think the arms sales to Saudi Arabia take on added significance when they are responsible for widespread famine and thousands of civilian deaths in Yemen.

Yes, the ones we have already sold them through various regimes. Not the ones we are talking about now. All I'm saying is there is no moral high ground for us and there probably never was.
 summo 04 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:
> The stupidity of the answer didn't help. As any vicar's daughter should know, Easter Eggs have got nothing to do with the Christian Easter story. That said, the Archbishop's Canterbury and York, were being equally moronic. ...

Or the fact it is another hijacked pagan festival. The spring God, Eastra. That and celebrating the spring equinox, growth and birth of life. Absolutely nothing to do with a bloke being nailed to a cross. At least pagan stuff were real events in the calendar, tied to the seasons.
Post edited at 17:24
OP Yanis Nayu 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

I heard her on the radio after I posted this. Not only did she say it twice, she said it with some level of aggression.

A brief examination of things she's refused to condemn versus this goes a long way to dispelling the myth of her as a serious politician. She simply does what the Daily Mail tell her to.
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> I heard her on the radio after I posted this. Not only did she say it twice, she said it with some level of aggression. A brief examination of things she's refused to condemn versus this goes a long way to dispelling the myth of her as a serious politician. She simply does what the Daily Mail tell her to.

Yawn....are you playing "Tory scum bingo"? You could have sneaked in reference to the Express and "warmongers" surely?

Anyway, good to see Jezzer is still with us and focusing on the big issue of the day:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/theresa-may-backs-church-england-con...

Sorry, couldn't resist mentioning that.....
Post edited at 22:28
OP Yanis Nayu 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Corbyn is an irrelevance
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Corbyn is an irrelevance

Yup, but I was beginning to wonder if he was still alive or had retired to a monastery. Happy days. He's back!!
 The New NickB 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

This thread is really not your finest hour!
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

> This thread is really not your finest hour!

I agree. Should have stayed away. Have a like. But really, what a load of bollocks the premise is. Can't people focus on some substantive issues instead of scraping around in the undergrowth to find something to bash her with? Or even worse, do they actually believe what they say??
 Big Ger 05 Apr 2017
In reply to seankenny:

> Indeed. With some posters, never be too afraid to call Torybot.

It saves a lot of thinking about the issue if you can just automatically come up with a personal attack cliche.
 Big Ger 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Tony Bliar; "Our relationship with Saudi Arabia is vitally important for our country in terms of counter-terrorism, in terms of the broader Middle East, in terms of helping in respect of Israel and Palestine. That strategic interest comes first."
 krikoman 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Tony Bliar; "Our relationship with Saudi Arabia is vitally important for our country in terms of counter-terrorism, in terms of the broader Middle East, in terms of helping in respect of Israel and Palestine. That strategic interest comes first."

Well it must be true, if Tony said it.
 john arran 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I can't help thinking the responses from our leaders are not telling the whole truth.

The event now called the "Cadbury's Great British Egg Hunt" in previous years was known as the "Easter Egg Trail".

May is aghast that the word Easter has been taken out even though few of those enjoying the Easter holiday are Christian, and Easter wasn't originally a Christian festival anyway.

Corbyn is aghast over the explicit commercial sponsorship, even though the like has been part of modern society for many years now.

Nobody seems to have cottoned on to the new jingoism. Somehow now it's become Great British, and not only that it's become a Hunt instead of a Trail. In our age of national isolationism this looks to be the most telling change of all.
 Stichtplate 05 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Nobody seems to have cottoned on to the new jingoism. Somehow now it's become Great British, and not only that it's become a Hunt instead of a Trail. In our age of national isolationism this looks to be the most telling change of all.

Maybe over thinking it a bit? Would imagine that the branding wonks at Cadburys are reflecting on multi/no faith Britain and riffing on the hugely popular " Great British Bake Off"?
 Andy Hardy 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Maybe over thinking it a bit? Would imagine that the branding wonks at Cadburys are reflecting on multi/no faith Britain and riffing on the hugely popular " Great British Bake Off"?

Just the latter part I would think, following on from bake off, pottery throw down, sewing bee and painting by numbers.
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
or the "Great" Repeal Bill. Glad that name was scotched as it seems too much like a value fudgement (keeping the confection theme)!
Post edited at 09:32
 Stichtplate 05 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

> or the "Great" Repeal Bill. Glad that name was scotched as it seems too much like a value fudgement (keeping the confection theme)!

This topic could yield a whole galaxy of snickering.
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

yes, it could be a real Marathon, post Brexit
In reply to wercat:

One thing's for sure: it's a fruit and nut case.
 summo 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> One thing's for sure: it's a fruit and nut case.

This thread is drifting off topic. Always complaining, you guys are on another planet with your Brexit opinions, Mars probably. I'm sure you'll find the ease of the Brexit negotiations a bit of a revel-ation.
Post edited at 10:35
 toad 05 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

Stop snickering at the back. Best be on your (milky)way, now
 summo 05 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

Sorry smarty pants, thought the thread needed a boost. I'm as good as gone.
In reply to summo:

They're just dismal teasers!
 john arran 05 Apr 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

After eight or more replies I have the munchies. All bar one have been funny but it's come to the crunch and the wispa is that the brownie points for the best answer go to ...

Stichtplate 05 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

> After eight or more replies I have the munchies. All bar one have been funny but it's come to the crunch and the wispa is that the brownie points for the best answer go to ...

Hold it there... you can't give us the answer until we've had PM&M's questions!
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

would it help if we put a bounty on Nigel Farage's head?
 Pete Pozman 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
Totally believe it. Distract and deflect. Succeeds Spin as mainstream political currency. Trump's gift to the world.
Post edited at 13:18
 Postmanpat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

So, whilst visiting Jordan and Saudi Arabia she does press conferences and interviews and issues high profile press releases. She addresses questions on, amongst other things, the security relationship with Jordan, the relationship with Saudi, trade, human rights, ISIS, the likelihood of military conflict with Spain, the gas attack in Syria, (I think) the tube bombing in Russia, and a possible extension of free movement of people in Europe.
How exactly is this "deflection"?

One of the problems for a major politician making an overseas trip is that they have to do press conferences but cannot always control the questions. For their domestic press it is a relatively rare opportunity to get direct interface, so they are going to try and raise issues "relevant" to their domestic readership. Hence May and Easter eggs and Osborne and "pig gate" (whilst in japan if I remember correctly). They are expected to answer such questions.

I think you are looking at this through some very warped lenses.

Pete Pozman 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

What does the Express say?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm sure that our illustrious and compassionate Prime Minister has her finger pressed firmly on the nation's pulse and shall only remove it in order to tear the nation's still-beating heart from its chest and tell us that this is what we voted for, before squeezing it until it bursts and then casually tossing it aside.

Compassionate conservatism at its best, our PM.

T.
 Postmanpat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> What does the Express say?

I've no idea. Why?

Which of my post do you think are inaccurate?
Post edited at 18:20
 summo 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Sometimes the strongest messages are visual, no head scarf etc... bet the king there hated that. They might have photoshopped one in for their state tv though!
 Postmanpat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> Sometimes the strongest messages are visual, no head scarf etc... bet the king there hated that. They might have photoshopped one in for their state tv though!

Can u photoshop a moving picture?
 summo 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

More likely they'll just show a still image and Photoshop something. Or show her walking off the plane, but not in the kings presence without head dress.
 Pete Pozman 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Just had a look at the Mail front page image of a plucky British rowing boat chasing a Spanish corvette (whatever that is) out of Gibraltese territorial waters. My British heart swelled to near bursting with pride. Time to get out Drake's Drum.
 Bob Kemp 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Can u photoshop a moving picture?

Yes. Not strictly Photoshop, but manipulation of motion video with other software. Have a look at this article:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2110131/we-live-world-video-manipulation-and-...
Post edited at 23:53
 Postmanpat 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Just had a look at the Mail front page image of a plucky British rowing boat chasing a Spanish corvette (whatever that is) out of Gibraltese territorial waters. My British heart swelled to near bursting with pride. Time to get out Drake's Drum.

So what? Why you're obsession with tabloid newspapers? It's a bit weird.
 Pete Pozman 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
The right wing Tabloids have driven the debate. The Brexiters rely on them for validation and affirmation. I am suggesting May has finally realised that she can use them to secure popular and Tory back bench support for her negotiating position re Eu exit. Ignorant jingoism secured the referendum for Farage et al, so why not ride the bus all the way to the terminus.
Post edited at 09:11
 Postmanpat 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> The right wing Tabloids have driven the debate. The Brexiters rely on them for validation and affirmation. I am suggesting May has finally realised that she can use them to secure popular and Tory back bench support for her negotiating position re Eu exit. Ignorant jingoism secured the referendum for Farage et al, so why not ride the bus all the way to the terminus.
>
I understand that you and many others are angry and frustrated by brexit. You do yourself no favours by claiming the intellectual (and moral) high ground and then undermining your claims by falling for the media led misinformation about the rationale for brexit (jingoism, racism, tabloids etc) and speculative scenarios about the results of brexit thus denying or ignoring the complex causes of and motivations for it.

From where I'm standing it simply looks like you've taken refuge in a cartoon version of the issues and of brexiters and in a lot of shouting..

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of May. Amongst other things she seems to have a weird obsession with immigration, which isn't even really satisfactorily explained by it being an appeal to the right wing of the voters (not that I think a politician appealing to her voters is necessarily a bad thing. Maybe Corbyn should try it) . Nor am I in favour of "hard brexit" whatever that is supposed to mean. But caricaturing her as "Cruella" etc etc, really doesn't help the remainers' case.
Post edited at 09:43
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

' thus denying or ignoring the complex causes of and motivations for it.'

This I don't get. I have yet to speak personally to a brexiteer whose motivations were anything other than incoherent ('we need to take back control' - from whom? for what? of what?) or even simpler ('we're full up, no room for anyone else, we need to keep jobs for us.') Gisela Stuart I suppose makes a left wing case for it, which we've been hearing about for 30+ years; she failed to convince me.

Have you heard Gove, Fox, May, Davies, Johnson (oops sorry, strike him out, he made the opposite case didn't he) give a clear rationale of what this total omnishambles is worth paying 60 billion euros for?
 Postmanpat 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
I think you mean "i have yet to hear any explanations for brext by which I am persuaded". You may, for example, think that Hannan is wrong but "incoherent" is a stretch. Vafourakis, was a remainer but only because he hoped The UK could get reforms to save Greece. His criticsm is totally coherent
Even if they are "incoherent" that does not make them racist or evil as they are commonly portrayed.
Post edited at 11:29
baron 06 Apr 2017
The people who voted for brexit did so for a multitude of reasons.
Neither Gove nor Johnson spoke for the leavers, they did 'lead' the leave campaign but who decided they should do so I have no idea.
May, Fox and Davis are the ones saddled with the job of obtaining the best deal possible given the hand dealt by the unexpected (by the government) referendum result.
Without rerunning the brexit debate, the reasons why some voted leave are, incoherently or not, stated on many previous threads on this forum.
Just because politicians can't articulate a case for Brexit doesn't mean that those who voted leave have no idea why they did so.
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2017
In reply to baron:

'May, Fox and Davis are the ones saddled with the job of obtaining the best deal possible ...' I think you'll find they all volunteered. And anyone who accuses the likes of May or Fox as being some sort of altruistic, reluctant public servants solely working for the common good is clearly deluded.
baron 06 Apr 2017
Yes, sorry, I wasn't trying to make excuses for them as individuals, more as politicians who have a job to do. If not them then somebody else would be doing it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...