UKC

Hit me with your rhythm stick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 13 Apr 2017

The newly-appointed NSW police commissioner has lambasted a view propagated among some Muslim Australians that Muslim husbands are permitted to hit their wives.

In a video discussion posted on the Women of Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia's Facebook page on April 8, two women from the hardline fringe group said that the permission to strike a disobedient wife was "a beautiful blessing" but it should only be soft and "symbolic".

The women, western Sydney primary school teacher Reem Allouche and Indian-born scholar Atika Latifi, also said that Muslim men have slower reaction times and no ability to multi-task but are physically stronger and obliged to be the leader in a marriage.

On Thursday, federal minister for women, Michaelia Cash, said the video was an "abhorrent" attempt to teach the next generation of young Australian Muslims that violence against women was acceptable.

Ms Latifi said that men should exercise their three options in that order.

First, he should advise the disobedient wife of the rule of Allah. If that doesn't work, he should refuse to share the bed with her. If that doesn't work he is permitted to hit her.

Citing two scholars, she said the strike should not cause pain and should be done with an item like a sivaak (a small stick used for cleaning) or a coiled scarf or folded handkerchief.

"It is merely a symbolic act," she said. "What a beautiful blessing from Allah, that he said not to take all the steps at one time. It is one after the other."

She said examples of disobedience are acts considered a sin rather than something like forgetting to cook dinner.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/muslim-men-permitted-to-hit-wives-in-a-soft-and-s...

Strange that a primary school teacher would be promoting this, even if it is only a small tap with a tiny stick.
Post edited at 05:38
 phja 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

>Strange that a primary school teacher would be promoting this, even if it is only a small tap with a tiny stick.

It's religion, what do you expect?
 ThunderCat 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Mate, if a magical invisible sky god says's it's allowed, then it's allowed, ok?
 The New NickB 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

The Bible is quite clear on the matter of wife beating.
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I've heard that some religions promote eating bread that has magically turned into flesh, and drinking wine that has been turned into blood; and that if you don't believe that's happening, you'll go to hell forever!

How bonkers is that?!
 Rampikino 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I've heard that some religions promote eating bread that has magically turned into flesh, and drinking wine that has been turned into blood; and that if you don't believe that's happening, you'll go to hell forever!How bonkers is that?!

Very bonkers. But it's not "some religions" but elements of a branch of a religion. The concept is not universally accepted - many parts of Christianity do not take it literally but symbolically.
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

Isn't belief in transubstantiation a defining tenet of Roman Catholicism?

Still, I regret my post now: pointing out the sheer idiocy of one religion doesn't justify the atavistic, primitive and backward principles of another.
OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

> The Bible is quite clear on the matter of wife beating.

Is it still actively promoted by Christians?
OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017

> Still, I regret my post now: pointing out the sheer idiocy of one religion doesn't justify the atavistic, primitive and backward principles of another.

But it does give the Islam apologists a "get out of jail free" card.
In reply to Big Ger:

> Is it still actively promoted by Christians?

The Bible, yes I believe so!
In reply to Big Ger:
> Is it still actively promoted by Christians?

A more serious answer to your question. Yes, plenty of examples if you Google.

Edited to add a random example.

http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.net/phone/index.html
Post edited at 10:13
OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017

> The Bible, yes I believe so!

The part/chapter/verses, (unnamed,) which you claim to be "clear on the matter of wife beating."
OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017

> A more serious answer to your question. Yes, plenty of examples if you Google.

Cross posted.

OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017

Got me!

I'm falling into the same trap as Rob Exile Ward, there's no need for me to justify what the nutters from other religions think.

Post edited at 10:04
 Timmd 13 Apr 2017

> Isn't belief in transubstantiation a defining tenet of Roman Catholicism?

As an ex Catholic, - yes it is,
 Chris_Mellor 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Your quoted article had one person saying said "What a beautiful blessing from Allah, that he said not to take all the steps at one time. It is one after the other."

I find it literally incredible that people can be so unremittingly stupid over religious matters. It's like a Stockholm Syndrome; utterly bizarre that someone looking at a 1-2-3 progression could think it a beautiful blessing. As for what she is referring to, the husband tapping the wife, this is just idiocy.
 Chris Harris 13 Apr 2017

Didn't know they had Stella back then.
 Andy Hardy 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
Is there any difference between religious belief and a fairly serious mental illness?

Edited to remove the effect of fat thumbs
Post edited at 13:10
 Wainers44 13 Apr 2017

Read it from cover to cover since your post, couldn't find that bit?

Learnt loads about Begotting though
 wilkie14c 13 Apr 2017
 Thrudge 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

You're a very naughty boy. Now repeat after me: "This has nothing to do with Islam, this has nothing to do with Islam, this has nothing to do with Islam". Keep repeating it until you believe it.

tony 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Thrudge:

Meanwhile, in other news from Australia, certified Queensland nutjob Senator Pauline Hanson has called on Australians to boycott Cadbury's Easter Eggs on the grounds that they're halal-certified, and anything halal-certified is contributing to the Islamisation of Australia.
OP Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Is there any difference between religious belief and a fairly serious mental illness?Edited to remove the effect of fat thumbs

I would say so, you can get away with FAR much more stupidity if you are religious.
OP Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> if you think that's mad, read this

Dear god, that's rough....
OP Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Thrudge:

> You're a very naughty boy. Now repeat after me: "This has nothing to do with Islam, this has nothing to do with Islam, this has nothing to do with Islam,. Look over there, Christians do things, look over there Christians support wife beating, look over there Christians are mad too".

> Keep repeating it until you believe it.

FTFY.

Lusk 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Just woken up have we? (It's he by the way)

As this seems to an anti-religion thread ( ), I picked up Dawkins' Magic of Reality book from Oxfam the other day, got home, read the intro, it's aimed at teenagers, OK carry on, I'm about 30 or 40 pages in and you can tell from every other sentence, and between the lines, his contempt for religion.

Love it!
OP Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

I'm at work, Good Friday here, I'm on the emergency desk, praying the phone doesn't go off....
 The Lemming 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

You're lucky, I'm driving the big yellow NHS taxi.
Lusk 14 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Full of Blackpool piss artists, can't you just dump them off the end of the pier?
 Andy Hardy 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Not until the tide's out. Wouldn't want them drowning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...