UKC

Clues to getting old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 07 May 2017
Well, not so much a clue, but telling me straight:

http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/Work-due-to-start-on-Greenbank-Pension...

Rob Parsons 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

F*ck me: that Paula Ratcliffe could give Rosie the Riveter a run for her money by the looks of things! And I hear she can run marathons, too. Good lass!
abseil 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

1. Go upstairs to get something. On arrival, can't remember what it was.
2. Go back downstairs. Wonder why you came downstairs.

I'm talking personally here
 Rob Parsons 07 May 2017
In reply to abseil:

Yes. And it's even worse when you finally realize that you live in a bungalow.
abseil 07 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Yes. And it's even worse when you finally realize that you live in a bungalow.

You really made me laugh Rob.....
abseil 07 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Yes. And it's even worse when you finally realize that you live in a bungalow.

You really made me laugh Rob...

WAIT A MINUTE?? Did I already reply to your post?!?!
 Timmd 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
At a still pretty young 37 (and 2 months) it's the way my knees are more creaky and the flab around my midriff seems to like lingering more than it did. It's a sign to hurry up and do what I can't do when I'm in worse shape when I'm older, if they're vaguely creaky now, That's no bad thing.

Post edited at 21:55
 JEF 07 May 2017
In reply to abseil:

> 1. Go upstairs to get something. On arrival, can't remember what it was.2. Go back downstairs. Wonder why you came downstairs.I'm talking personally here

You missed;
'Might as well have a pee now I'm here'
 Brass Nipples 07 May 2017
In reply to JEF:

> You missed;'Might as well have a pee now I'm here'

Bugger was that a flower pot?
 Si_G 07 May 2017
In reply to JEF:

There's a rule in our house that if you're even considering getting out of bed for a pee, you should go and do it immediately.
Only way to get any sleep.

As for age - my eyes have gone, my mind has gone, everything aches, and I take forever to recover from exercise... and I'm only early 40's.
 Albert Tatlock 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Does wind come in lumps ?
 The Lemming 07 May 2017
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Only if they are strong and stable
 BigBrother 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I have recently found myself choosing rich tea biscuits instead of chocolate ones
 Timmd 07 May 2017
In reply to Si_G:
Are you eating properly and sleeping well and getting exercise outside in green spaces & all that jazz? That seems to keep my mind feeling better. It seems like nothing makes it feel worse than life pressures combined with not doing a mixture of those.

My Dad appeared to run on coffee and determination while growing and running his company, well into his 60's, but I need to make sure I include the above more than he did.

Oh, a dislike. Hello mean spirited person. It's bad for your health - which may shorten your life.

Post edited at 22:55
 Brass Nipples 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

What was the question?
OP Greenbanks 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Getting old is establishing base-camp at the foot of Tryfan Bach, ready for the summit push the next day
 Big Ger 07 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

The older I get, the further away anything I drop on the floor gets, and the noises I make when bending to pick it up get longer and louder.
Moley 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'm very happy driving along and never exceeding 55mph.
 summo 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
When most of your friends go on cruises. Had one announce today he is off on his first cruise, madness, he's only 45. It's just not right.
Post edited at 17:58
 Nick Alcock 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I was told that you know you are getting on a bit when 'you sit on the lavatory and your balls are touching the water'.

Not me, obviously.
 RX-78 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

You get dragged to a night club and notice that everyone else not in your group is about the same age as your son!
 johncook 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

You know you are getting old when it takes you all night to do what you used to try to make last all night and failed!
In reply to Greenbanks:

Chalfonts.
OP Greenbanks 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

On a more pleasurable note, when you start handing over the sharp end to one of your kids...a nice (though strangely nervous) feeling
Deadeye 08 May 2017
In reply to abseil:

Are you my son? Is it cabbage for tea?
Deadeye 08 May 2017
In reply to Moley:

> I'm very happy driving along and never exceeding 55mph.

I hope you checked the oil and tyre pressures before setting out. And packed a snack and thermos.
Deadeye 08 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> On a more pleasurable note, when you start handing over the sharp end to one of your kids...a nice (though strangely nervous) feeling

Belayed my lad up Suspense a couple of weeks ago. Nervous pride is an odd sensation.
abseil 08 May 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Are you my son? Is it cabbage for tea?

Bubble & Squeak for tea today.
 Brass Nipples 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Getting old is establishing base-camp at the foot of Tryfan Bach, ready for the summit push the next day

But getting overtaken by darkness during your summit push and needing to spend a night belayed halfway up the wall.
Rigid Raider 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I must be unusual; I'm 61 and last week I rode a hilly windy 10 mile TT in 30.02. Going back tomorrow to try to beat 30 minutes. Then I'm stopping. Or so said the drug addict/alcoholic/gambler.....

My recipe for good health involves a really thorough oral hygiene routine; floss the front teeth, clean with an Oral B reciprocating brush then finish off with an inter-dental brush between the molars. I'm pretty sure that good oral hygiene and avoidance of gingivitis keeps you healthy and my cycling pal, a gastroenterologist, agrees that there's plenty of evidence to support that claim.
 dunc56 09 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> At a still pretty young 37 (and 2 months) it's the way my knees are more creaky and the flab around my midriff seems to like lingering more than it did. It's a sign to hurry up and do what I can't do when I'm in worse shape when I'm older, if they're vaguely creaky now, That's no bad thing.

We'll be the ones to decide if you are pretty.
 Heike 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

If you spot a former student of yours and you think: "Oh, my, he looks old."
 chris bedford 09 May 2017
In reply to Heike:

When you start teaching children of your former students (not happened yet - only a matter of time.....)
In reply to Greenbanks:
I know I'm getting to a certain middling stage in my life because I get excited about good drying conditions for the laundry and a genuine feeling of satisfaction when I get two loads washed, dried and put away in a day.

Edit: I also put a load in at night ready to set off in the morning, and that makes me feel like a real badass
Post edited at 15:27
 defaid 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Funny how things come full circle isn't it. We go out as we came in -- bald, toothless, incontinent and with the attention span of

TMM 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Involuntary grunts on accessing or exiting an armchair or sofa.
 Bob Kemp 09 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Yes - as in the line attributed to George Burns: "You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there."
Lusk 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Moaning about UKC forum Dislikes
 wercat 09 May 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> But getting overtaken by darkness during your summit push and needing to spend a night belayed halfway up the wall.

Rubbish!

Plenty of more comfortable places if night falls on the way up Cat Bells ...
 Big Ger 09 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Getting your first SAGA holiday catalogue in the post.
OP Greenbanks 09 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

...and rick your back retrieving it off the mat
 Billhook 10 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

You hair starts going grey. Including the bits the public don't normally see. Hairs start sprouting from your nose and ears and your eyebrows start to get bushy.
 RX-78 10 May 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

On the way to getting old. The change from saying goodnight to your children as they go to bed, to saying goodnight to your children as you go to bed.

Shock when hearing a graduate new hire's date of birth.
 Wainers44 10 May 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

> You hair starts going grey. Including the bits the public don't normally see. Hairs start sprouting from your nose and ears and your eyebrows start to get bushy.

Hmm I think I have cocked it all up then, as I went grey at 18 and ran my first ultra at 50....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...