UKC

picos de europa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickmurph 06 Jun 2017
Hi,

I'm off to the Picos this summer and was after a recommendations for campsites and/or places to base ourselves?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
 KA 06 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

There are two main bases for the Picos. Arenas de Cabrales in the north, and Potes in the south. Both places have campsites, so you shouldn't go far wrong in either spot. I've stayed at Camping La Viorna In Potes, which was nice enough.

The Picos is an amazing place, enjoy yourself.
 RR 06 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

From the south on the way from Potes to Fuente Dé there are a lot of campings. La Viorna is ok, but relative far away from the mountains. I would stay overnight in the hut, when go climbing.
 orejas 06 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

My vote would be for Arenas if youwant to camp. Hotel Torrecerredo in Arenas should also be a good option, english speakers.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

We initially stayed in one in Potes, I forget the name but it was OK (though a fair drive from the mountains). Later in the trip we stayed at Fuente De campsite instead, which was much better and more convenient - however, this was late season (September) and we were lucky to find a space, I imagine it fills up (and could get noisy) in the summer.
 John Workman 07 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

Nick

We based ourselves in Potes last summer. [The missus and me]. Going back again this summer. Visited most of the centres. Thought Potes was the 'nicest'. One downside is a rather tortuous [but spectacular] road up / down from the coast.
Cragging Crags were quite busy. Popular Mountain and Gorge walks similar but Mountain Rock Climbers were few and far between [which would have been nice if I'd had a mate for a route or two].
 heleno 07 Jun 2017
In reply to KA:

We stayed at La Viorna (Potes) and Camping Picos de Europa (Arenas). They were both very pleasant. We were there in September so they may feel rather more crowded in high season, but I think the Picos site had quite a lot of overspill space on the far side of the stteam.

You could consider moving between two sites gives you access to different areas of the mountains.
 RX-78 07 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

we are heading there for 8 days in June, have booked a hut at Camping El Cares Picos des Europa near Santa Marina de Valdeon on the southern side and then 4 more nights camping at La Viorna (Potes) as it has a swimming pool to keep our daughter happy. Have also booked one night in one of the mountain huts. From El Cares you can easily hike directly into the Picos.
 brianjcooper 07 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:
The amphitheatre of cliffs at Fuente De is breath taking, as is most of the Picos. During our stay we used the telepherique or the ball aching zig zag path, up into the mountains . That got me fit!
Bivvied a night in an old shack in the lovely valley of Vega de Liordes. There are several managed huts in the mountains, but I'm not sure of the booking system.

Have a great time. As others have said, it's an amazing place.
Post edited at 17:55
Bellie 07 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

We were based in Potes (just outside). We did RyanAir into Santander, just in time for the Euro final when Spain beat Italy. We caught a bus the next day which took us all the way to Potes, and it was really cheap too. Not sure if they still run - with all the cuts.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> We initially stayed in one in Potes, I forget the name but it was OK (though a fair drive from the mountains). Later in the trip we stayed at Fuente De campsite instead, which was much better and more convenient - however, this was late season (September) and we were lucky to find a space, I imagine it fills up (and could get noisy) in the summer.

We camped there in August a few years back and to honest it was bloody horrible, hot, very crowded and noisy. We stuck for a while them pushed off the the Pyrenees - the Spanish side was similarly frenetic but French side was altogether more genteel!

Chris
 Elsier 08 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

Does anyone know if the Fuente De campsite (Camping El Redondo) is likely to already be very busy in the first week of July?

We're hoping to spend most of the trip up in the mountains, but need a campsite to base ourselves, this one would make sense from a logistical point of view, but we might go elsewhere if it's going to be very busy and noisy.

nickmurph 11 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

Thanks for all the advice

Hoping first two weeks of July will beat the rush
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jun 2017
In reply to nickmurph:

> Thanks for all the advice Hoping first two weeks of July will beat the rush

Spanish school summer holidays are 20th June to 19th September so maybe not?

Chris

Simon Caldwell 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Spanish school summer holidays are 20th June to 19th September so maybe not?Chris

We were there the first two weeks in September and it was very quiet. Apart from the middle Monday which turned out to be a local holiday - even then it was fairly quiet apart from queues for the normal south face route up the Naranjo de Bulnes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...