UKC

Triglav via Tominsek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shivy88 22 Jun 2017
Hi all,

My partner and I are heading out to Slovenia in August and looking at doing Triglav via the Tominsek route and coming back on the Prag route.
Has anyone done this and could give me an idea of the exposure?
We'll be taking via ferrata kit with us, and I'm not worried about those sections so much as the unprotected bits. If you've had any experience of this it'd be great to hear about it!

We're hoping to stay in the Kredarica hut, given it'll be in August and busy, any one got advice on how far in advance we should book?
 proandras 22 Jun 2017
In reply to shivy88:

On Tominskove you find a via ferrata in grade A if you are familiar with the German scale (sorry only this I know). So, nothing serious, easy, staircase-like path, occasional needs for hands but falling is near fatal. The unprotected parts are OK. Most difficulties might come if the cables are still under snow, which is not a problem in August. The Prag is just a steep footpath, except a 5-6 m high climbing on iron spikes. Since it is above a wide ledge I worried more about the spikes might impale me than the falling itself.

However, I think the Prag is boring, if you have a few hours more time and strength, cross the main peak to the Dolic hut and come back through the Luknja pass. It is one of the most beautiful place where I have ever been.

Main tourist spot in high season? Book right now!

pec 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shivy88:

I did the itinerary you describe in 2004, quite a while ago so I can't recall exact details but what I remember is this:
Going up the Tominsek and down the Prag is the best direction, the Prag had a lot of scree which would have been tedious in ascent but is easier on the legs in descent.
There are via ferrata cables etc on the harder bits but as via ferrata go, it was all very easy to the extent that I didn't actually bother clipping in to anything at any point. I'm neither wreckless nor very good so it must have been quite easy and not too exposed. That said, a young man who tagged along with us did clip in but he didn't have much actual climbing experience so I suppose it depends where you're coming from but its definitely at the easiest end of the via ferrata spectrum. If you're an adventurous walker it might seem hard but if you've done VF's in the Dolomites or elsewhere it should be no problem.
I seem to recall that the final summit ridge (above the hut) looked a bit intimidating but turned out to be a lot easier that it looked.
It was very quiet the day we did it despite being August but it could well be busy so wear a helmet if there's anyone above you.
Its a long day out, 14 hour round trip I think, so stopping at the hut would split it up into shorter days but as we didn't use it I've no idea about booking it.

There's some more info about it here
http://www.summitpost.org/tominsek-route/953278
 Lucy Wallace 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shivy88:

We ascended via the Plemenice which was brilliant fun if quite exposed at times and descended the Prag. We had some good beta about a detour in descent that avoids a crappy section near the top of the Prag which was useful. Kredarica hut was busy even in Sept so recommend booking. I wrote a bit about it at the time: http://wildonarran.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/triglav.html?m=1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...