UKC

NEWS: Navi Mumbai - Gold and Overall Title for Shauna Coxsey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Jun 2017
24 year old Shauna Coxsey from Runcorn took home her 11th IFSC Boulder World Cup Gold this weekend, and clinched the overall 2017 World Cup title for the second year in a row - with one round to spare. In order to defend her 2016 title, Shauna had to return to fitness following a shoulder injury incurred during the final round of the IFSC Boulder World Cup last August, for which she required surgery. Shauna dominated each round in Mumbai, topping all four problems in the final and continuing her winning form from last weekend's round in Vail, USA.

Read more
In reply to Fiend:
With a British athlete defending her World Cup title with one round to spare, I decided that highlighting Shauna's success should take precedence over 'Mumbai World Cup Results' and 'hiding' the result from the few who haven't heard/read the results or watched the competition (It's on the BBC News site too). Unfortunately, concealing the results won't help the sport gain wider press coverage and interest in the UK.
Post edited at 12:47
 plyometrics 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

The right decision IMHO.

Curating news to ensure those that see it do so at a time and in a format that suits them is an impossibility.

Back on topic, well done to Shauna. Great news.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Fiend:

When I'm away and there's something on that I want to catch up on later, then I avoid visiting anywhere that's likely to give things away. You can hardly blame a website for devoting a big headline to something of direct relevance to that site, so best not take the risk.
In reply to plyometrics:

Maybe we will opt for clickbait style headlines in future: 'You'll never guess who won the IFSC BWC in Munich...'
 Greasy Prusiks 26 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Shauna that's a really well deserved win. Boulder 4 was absolutely unbelievable.

Natalie also deserves some sort of medal for most restrained response of the year.
 ericinbristol 26 Jun 2017

Aaargh no. Clickbaity headlines are really irritating
In reply to UKC News:

My problem is that as follow Shauna on Facebook. So if I'm avoiding the results I have to avoid that as well

UKClimbing just have to tell the news as it happens.

Oh and well done Shauna an amazing achievement

Does anyone know here plans. Does she plan to start speed and lead now for the olympics? Or is she going to let that one go...
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

Has anyone got Fiends response in their cache

Ps, correct decision Nat.
 ChrisBrooke 26 Jun 2017

"This 24 year old from Runcorn was never expected to be able to use her shoulder again. You won't believe what happened next!"
 ChrisBrooke 26 Jun 2017

"The gravity-defying secrets this world champion climber is trying to keep hidden...."
 ChrisBrooke 26 Jun 2017
"This 48 year old climber looks only 24. You won't believe her training regime and why all the other climbers can't keep up!"

[edit: if you want a hand writing rubbish clickbait headlines, drop me an email. You won't believe my secret technique that happened next and why doctors hate me]

p.s. Having watched the stream, massive congratulations to Shauna. Completely impressed and delighted for her. She makes it look easy!
Post edited at 16:23
mctrials23 26 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Another amazing year for Shauna. Staying at the top in these world cup competitions is so hard so to do it two years in a row is stunning. Such a strong climber!
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Chris, I'm a huge admirer of your work here - you've got talent. Those headlines have made my day
In reply to mctrials23:
It is quite surprising how often back to back titles happen in the female bouldering

Sandrinne Levet did it twice, including a hat trick
Akiyo has done it twice
Anna did it a hat trick

In the men's only Kili had back to back titles but he did get the hat trick

Post edited at 17:07
 ChrisBrooke 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks I could have kept going, for my own amusement, and evidently yours, but I don't want to waste too much space in a thread dedicated to Shauna's genuinely stunning achievement.
 ericinbristol 26 Jun 2017
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

"Climbing coaches hate her. Runcorn woman learns to climb V14 with this one weird trick!"
In reply to ericinbristol:

85 year old Shauna eliminated belly fat with this one simple dieting tip that experts dismissed

You've got your own thread now John

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=666622&new=8588504#x8588504
 stp 28 Jun 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I can't even see his first comment.

Was he rude and banned or summat?
 ericinbristol 28 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

A bit grumpy that he saw the result in the headline before he watched the video. He must have thought better of it and deleted the grump.
 planetmarshall 28 Jun 2017

> My problem is that as follow Shauna on Facebook. So if I'm avoiding the results I have to avoid that as well

Is that so hard? If I want to avoid knowing the outcome of Competitions, Game of Thrones etc then I avoid social media and things with 'News' in the title. Surely this is obvious?
 stp 28 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Also worth saying that it was a great effort by Billy Ridal to make semis. Making semis these days in the men's is no mean feat, especially when half the places are taken by the Japanese. A number of really good boulderers regularly fail to make it through and I don't think either Sean McColl or Rustam Gelmanov have made semis once this year.

Also great to see Jongwon Chon doing so well. He was so impressive at this year's CWIF (robbed of the title by slab climber Alex Megos). He seems in a pretty good spot for the overall now. Only Alexey, Keita Watabe and Tomoa can beat him. By my calculations if he makes the Munich finals only Alexey can take the title off him and only then if he wins.
 stp 28 Jun 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

It's going to depend on how you use the web. I get everything via RSS and when my newsreader opens it shows all new article headlines in a list. 8a announced the result of one comp in their headlines recently and I saw it before I'd watched which was annoying.

Since the comps are several hours long I sometimes don't watch them until quite a few days later but I don't want to shut myself off from everything else for that period just because the results might appear somewhere. I watched Mumbai live so no problem with this comp though.
 stp 28 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Actually looks like only Alexey or Keita can beat Jongwon Chon now and Keita would need to come first to do so. Alexey would need to podium to win. Even then Jongwon could still win. But if Alexey comes first then Jongwon would need a second place to take the overall. Hope they all make it into the final.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...