UKC

Geologically challenged

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 29 Jun 2017
AKA "how is that still standing?"

Might have been done before but let's get a list going...

Old Man of Hoy. Seeing daylight through the cracks on the finishing pitch in two directions at once is a particular highlight.

Most sea stacks, for that matter...

Lower Sharpnose. Quite possibly yhe most amazing crag in the country, just don't ask yourself how it's even possible...

The first pitch of Eroica on Pentire. Ever fancied playing giant jenga?

Mousetrap Zawn at Gogarth. Overhanging porridge par excellence.

The In Pinn. Allegedly now gone if a certain UKC news article is to be believed.

White Goods. This overhanging jumble of dominoes is held together mostly by good luck.

GO Wall, Wintour's Leap. Like White Goods but bigger.

All those Arches in Utah. Just... how...

The chalk cliffs down South. Geological time is now!

The Alps, with a few exceptions.
 Tigger 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

I was expecting a story about a climber from Norwich.
 planetmarshall 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

> White Goods. This overhanging jumble of dominoes is held together mostly by good luck.

I think its luck started to run out last year. I have serious doubts about returning to the place.

In reply to Misha:

Cerro Torre

I know granite is hard (it is granite, isn't it...?), but how does something that pointy not just fall down...!
 d_b 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

Bloodrush fin at Shining Clough, though not in the same league as anything on the Culm coast!
 French Erick 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

Kilnsey... looks wrong!
abseil 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

> "how is that still standing?" .... Old Man of Hoy....

You're giving me nightmares The thought of being on top of the Old Man when suddenly a violent swaying and shaking starts won't go away... oh well there are many worse ways to go...
 d_b 29 Jun 2017
In reply to abseil:

Just surf it down to the sea and swim away. I'm sure it would work in the movies.
In reply to Tigger:

> I was expecting a story about a climber from Norwich.

I was expecting a story about my wifes map reading !
abseil 29 Jun 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Just surf it down to the sea and swim away. I'm sure it would work in the movies.

OK, thanks! I'll bring a wetsuit and goggles next time plus maybe a few treats for the seals
 rocksol 29 Jun 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

C.T It's the most solid granite I've ever climbed on The danger is falling ice from the unique and weird overhanging formations
OP Misha 29 Jun 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
Wow, might be a winner!
OP Misha 29 Jun 2017
In reply to French Erick:
That's a good one, though it's pretty solid.
 d_b 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:
I attempted it a couple of months ago. Ended up backing off after pulling off almost every hold I touched.

The route description specifies the LH arete rather than bridging, but the rock on it is so dodgy I can see why all the photos of successful ascents have people using both.
Post edited at 22:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...