UKC

Wayne Marques

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 29 Jun 2017
Just thought the man deserved to be named in a thread title, rather than labelled "Police Officer" or "Hero"

I heard what I guess was the second half of an interview on Radio 4 yesterday evening. His "don't get dropped to the floor" was inspirational.
In reply to mypyrex:

That was rather my point, which you seem to have ENTIRELY missed, unless you are merely directing traffic to a "real" thread....
 mypyrex 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No, I was trying to point out a means by which we could make efforts to ensure official recognition of his actions. I'll not get into an argument about this but I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my motives.
In reply to mypyrex:

That's fine, I had had some form of "thanks" to you in my first reply but couldn't make it read clearly.

I am just bemused at people here praising the man but not doing him the courtesy of naming him in their thread titles or at least in their posts. I find it strange.
 French Erick 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks Wayne for being an outstandingly professional and dedicated Policeman. I hate the "hero" branding. However the man is highly deserving of praise indeed.
 Ciro 29 Jun 2017
In reply to French Erick:

> Thanks Wayne for being an outstandingly professional and dedicated Policeman. I hate the "hero" branding. However the man is highly deserving of praise indeed.

hero
noun
a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities

I'm really at a loss as to how in this case, "hero" could be construed as anything other than a simple statement of fact.

The New NickB 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Ciro:

He is certainly a hero, that definition also shows that there can be more than one type of hero. For example it is perfectly acceptable to call an outstanding sportsperson a hero, without making a comparison to an act of outstanding bravery such as this.
 Ciro 29 Jun 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

Indeed.... there are many admirable qualities one may possess.

I met a young climber on her first van trip in spain last winter and the inside of her van was plastered with pictures of strong female climbers, one of those being Rannveig Aamodt. When another friend bumped into Rannvieg in the cafe and got her to sign a napkin, Saskia didn't stop smiling for a week. Being so dedicated to the rather pointless pursuit of getting from the bottom to the top the hard way may not fill everyone's criteria of a hero, but she certainly was in this girls' eyes.

It's easy to get cynical about highly paid sports stars, but there's no doubt they can give a lot of inspiration to kids to follow their dreams.
 French Erick 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Ciro:

I did not say it was irrelevant, I just stated I did not like its use. Feel free to praise this man, who absolutely deserves it, your own way in your own words. I would rather call him what in my eyes is a more accurate description of what he is that is "an outstandingly professional and dedicated Policeman".

It seems that we are in agreement on the theme though. We're lucky we have such people about the place! Quite a few of them too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...