/ Outdoor Instructor Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
edward thatcher - on 14 Jul 2017
So, I'm an outdoor instructor delivering SPA, ML, Mountain Bike Leader, Archery and related work and have spent all day looking for good public liability cover. After a lot of searching I've discovered 2 possible insurers both of whom were about half the price of other providers - these being John Ansell and Partners Ltd and Park Insurance Services. Just thought I'd put these names out there as they seem really good and competitive and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them

Also, was advised by one of these insurers that many Public liability policies do not cover for injury that occurs as a result of wrongful advice (i.e you say to one pair of climbers "ok, you can let go now" which a different pair overhears and in consequence someone is dropped). This was news to me. Check your policies.
Stuart (aka brt) - on 14 Jul 2017
edward thatcher - on 14 Jul 2017
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Yeah - I read that. it's interesting isn't it. Basically, I've got insurance mainly because some people ask for it - and without it you won't get work - but also because of the following:

As I understand it, if you're working for a centre following their procedures and guidelines to the letter and someone is injured then the centre is liable. If, however, you (accidentally) step outside those procedures and someone is injured as a result then you will be liable and the centre's insurance will attempt to recoup any claim from you and/or your insurer.

Also, i hope to do some pure sole trader work at some point.
Stuart (aka brt) - on 14 Jul 2017
In reply to edward thatcher:


> Yeah - I read that. it's interesting isn't it. Basically, I've got insurance mainly because some people ask for it - and without it you won't get work - but also because of the following:

There's is a trend of one man band type outfits (albeit with a large web presence) who I know have only insured themselves and not employees. So yes, if you want that work, then I guess you need it. Worth checking on claims made and claims occurring (though you seem clued up on stuff already).

> As I understand it, if you're working for a centre following their procedures and guidelines to the letter and someone is injured then the centre is liable. If, however, you (accidentally) step outside those procedures and someone is injured as a result then you will be liable and the centre's insurance will attempt to recoup any claim from you and/or your insurer.

Interesting dilemma. If you're outside of there (so presumably your) SOP, why would an insurance company cough up? AIM also have another interesting document on this counter claim potential. The other often cited example is about faultless claims. A centre's policy might pay out, but would yours? It's not their job to give out money unless they have to.

> Also, i hope to do some pure sole trader work at some point.

Fair point. Certainly opens up avenues.

Stuart (aka brt) - on 14 Jul 2017
In reply to edward thatcher:

Ed Thatcher - ex Endeavour?
Paul at work - on 14 Jul 2017
In reply to edward thatcher:

> So, I'm an outdoor instructor delivering SPA, ML, Mountain Bike Leader, Archery and related work and have spent all day looking for good public liability cover.

If you are delivering SPA and ML courses, you should already have insurance in place. It's a requirement of being a provider for Mountain Training.

Tomtom - on 15 Jul 2017
In reply to Paul at work:

> If you are delivering SPA and ML courses, you should already have insurance in place. It's a requirement of being a provider for Mountain Training.

Delivering SPA training courses on behalf of mountain trg, or delivering courses under SPA remit (I.e. Outdoor experience days)? I understood the OP meant the latter.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Paul at work - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to Tomtom:
But that isn't what he wrote.
>"I'm an outdoor instructor delivering SPA, ML, Mountain Bike Leader....."
Post edited at 10:40
Ron Rees Davies - on 16 Jul 2017
In reply to Paul at work:
> But that isn't what he wrote.
> >"I'm an outdoor instructor delivering SPA, ML, Mountain Bike Leader....."

Not exactly. Finish the whole sentence.
He wrote "...outdoor instructor delivering SPA........work".

To me too that implied work within the SPA remit, work as an SPA. He didn't write "....delivering SPA ....... courses"

This partly comes down to the "Oxford comma" issue - see https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/16/oxford-comma-helps-drivers-win-dispute-about-overtime-...
and the original post could have been worded more clearly to avoid the confusion.
Post edited at 11:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.