UKC

Anglesey for Kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 09 Aug 2017
Well it's time for my annual summer holiday info thread!

Can anyone give me any suggestions for good locations for taking kids climbing on Anglesey? Somewhere with easy access to the top, good anchors for top roping, short easy routes and a lack of other dangers e.g. sea cliffs to fall off of. First one to suggest Gogarth wins a prize!

Also any other thoughts on Anglesey as a holiday destination for a family with small kids (9/6/4) welcome. I'm planning to take the surfboards so any good beaches for body boarding around? Yes, we will be going to Beaumaris!
In reply to Bobling:
Holyhead mountain is the obvious top-ropable easy climbing area. Ramp E, the pillar and the 'Sub slab' are the most suitable.
Otherwise the majority of climbing on Anglesey is sea cliffs, though some areas like Porth y garan might still be suitable when the tide is right.

For beaches check out Porth dafarch and Cable bay.
Post edited at 09:33
 deepsoup 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:
For beach type fun - Malltraeth Bay could be a good bet, and you could explore Llanddwyn Island while you're there (it's lovely). It costs a couple of quid to park, there's a little toll booth as you drive in to Newborough Forest.
 stubbed 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Anglesey is great for kids. Beaumaris Castle sometimes have medieval displays and things on. The beaches (east coast especially in my view) are perfect, have little streams and stones and stuff for building & exploring. The coastal path, if you can get them to walk, is good too. For days when it is completely chucking it down there's some kind of butterfly farm but it's a bit lame and yours are probably too old for it.
 john spence 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Wet weather alternative is the Indy wall in Menai Bridge.
In reply to stubbed:

> For days when it is completely chucking it down there's some kind of butterfly farm but it's a bit lame and yours are probably too old for it.

That'll be:
http://www.pilipalas.co.uk/

There's also https://www.angleseyseazoo.co.uk/ and various museums and stately homes: https://www.angleseyattractions.co.uk/

wynaptomos 09 Aug 2017
In reply to stubbed:

> Anglesey is great for kids. Beaumaris Castle sometimes have medieval displays and things on. The beaches (east coast especially in my view) are perfect, have little streams and stones and stuff for building & exploring. The coastal path, if you can get them to walk, is good too. For days when it is completely chucking it down there's some kind of butterfly farm but it's a bit lame and yours are probably too old for it.

Agree that the east coast beaches are friendly for children but the west coast beaches are more likely to have any waves for surfing although you might want to check the surf conditions online before taking the kids out! The Rhosneigr area beaches in particular are very popular for surfing.
 Shapeshifter 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Rhosneigr and the next door beach at Aberffraw are good for body boarding. Personally I prefer Aberffraw with kids as it's a bit quieter and more sand duney.
Check out http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Aberffraw/forecasts/latest/six_day for wave heights.

Climbing wise Holyhead Mountain and the Indy climbing wall if wet as others have said.
 dilatory 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Rhosneigr is the surf mecca of Anglesey, always heaving with people regardless of weather. Holyhead mountain best for your top roping, easily approachable to build anchor. There's a bunch of beach bouldering around the island, nothing terribly exciting but good for some fun, have a look on crag list. The new bouldering guide has some cracking stuff in Anglesey if you're looking for something more serious but not really a family friendly venue.

Failing that there's loads to do. Have a good time!
 ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Always enjoyed exploring the coastline on Anglesey with the kids (northern coast is overlooked). Little bays & beaches to explore. Though never been to Anglesey in high season !

Paris Mountain (old mine area) is also worth a trip if your kids like that sort of thing.

And Newborough (can be quieter away from busy car park. Plus there are some biking trails) and walk out to Twr Mawr LHouse.

Rock pooling at N End of Trearddur (can be busy) and kids body boarding/beach at Porth Dafarch (little bay/beach to N of Trearddur).

Back over on mainland, also Penrhyn Castle and Caernarfon Castle give further wet weather options.
 Otis 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Red Boat Ice Cream Parlour in Beaumaris. That's all you need to know
OP Bobling 09 Aug 2017
In reply to thread:

Thanks All! UKC does it again : )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...