UKC

UKC login problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can someone please help me with my extreme lack of technical know how?

Whenever I am logged in to UKC on my phone (iPhone 4 - yes I know - the shame! ) and then open another page on Safari (UKC is still open on another) I keep getting logged out of UKC. Apart from the annoyance, it makes it very difficult to post links.

Is there something in some kind of settings feature, either on my phone or on the UKC site that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, HJ.
Post edited at 14:19
 Blue Straggler 17 Aug 2017
In reply to Hugh J:
Can't help but I'll keep an eye on this thread. I've had the same problem since getting my first iPhone (a 6) 2.5 years ago. Updating iOS and upgrading to iPhone 7 didn't change it. Further, I always get an error on first login, either about cookies (mostly) or sometimes, instead, a claim that Username and/or Password were incorrect (unlikely - I have fairly good "thumb memory" and I tend to know when there's a typo even if the letters only show for 0.25sec). Been quietly tolerating it.
Post edited at 16:28
 alexm198 17 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Are you both in private browsing mode? If you close the window it won't save the information so it'll log you back out. Would make sense with the cookies too.
Jimbocz 17 Aug 2017
In reply to Hugh J: One solution might be to download Chrome. That should allow you to navigate to other pages and copy links without getting logged out in Safari.

In reply to Jimbocz:

Don't most people use Chrome as their default browser now?
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I did mention I was technically inept at this sort of thing.
In reply to alexm198:
Cheers alexm, I'll have a butcher's at that.
Post edited at 21:32
In reply to alexm198:

Sorted!

Cheers Alex, I told you I was technically inept, I even had to Google to find out how to turn the private browsing on and off.

Try this advice Blue Strangler, it may solve your problem too.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/KM205106?cid=acs::applesearch

Be warned, you will lose all open pages when you change the privacy setting.
 alexm198 17 Aug 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

Great! Glad I could help.

Also if I remember correctly, when you turn private browsing back on your old pages will still be there. I could be wrong though.
 Blue Straggler 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Don't most people use Chrome as their default browser now?

How is that a useful contribution to the thread?
Most people - for better or for worse, it's irrelevant - actually use whatever is the default browser on a given device. On an iPhone that would be Safari.

Personally I ditched Chrome on my Windows PC as it became full of issues on certain work related websites. I've found Opera to be vastly more stable
Had similar with my 6. Never figured out what was wrong, sorry, though it happened after I changed some settings.

My solution was a full erase and reset, set up as new phone, checked it worked, full erase and reset again followed by a restore from backup. Don't understand why this would work since settings would normally be stored in the backup, but it did, so maybe just a guess, was an OS problem that got corrected*. The reset to a new phone was definitely a different version of the OS since I had been putting up with the log in problem for over a year.

Appreciate that you upgraded to a 7 so you had a new OS thus really posting in case others have similar. That said would an erase and reset be worthwhile for you to try?

* Had read that there was some difference in the way the OS was overwritten if set up as a new phone first, but can't remember the details.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...