UKC

Marillion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 21 Sep 2017
Just been listening to Misplaced Childhood and forgotten just how good Marillion were.

Favourites have to be Bitter Suite and Heart of Lothian.

youtube.com/watch?v=6tYFC7FS4xo&

So go on then, favourite Marillion or Fish track.
 More-On 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Fugazi

although frankly Market Square Heroes or anything off Script or Fugazi is right up there in my all time favourites list

Bellie 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Tough one. I still enjoy Script for a Jesters Tear, and Incubus, from the old stuff.

I once went to see them on tour in Sheffield(Clutching at Straws tour) and they cancelled when everyone was at the gig - due to Fish being ill. He came out on stage an apologised. "I cannae hit a f*ckin note!"

The upshot was that the gig was rescheduled and tagged on after the tour. They hadn't got to pack up and go anyway after, so we got a great concert and they played the whole of Misplaced Childhood at one stage. It turned out to be Fish's last gig, as a few months later he called it a day.
 toad 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Theyve turned into a bit a cult of late (as distinct from a cult band). Certainly the fans are , well, fanatical. I own quite a bit of modern marillion, but i dont get the obsessives

But the Fish vs H fight is always amusing

And for the record, Fish never did anything quite like Gaza, though i do like Script on a winter rainy afternoon
 DancingOnRock 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

18 studio albums. I kind of lost interest after Brave but those first few albums still stand the test of time.

Back in 1986 my Chemistry teacher said they were a Genesis rip-off. Certainly the early Genesis material before Phil Collins went a bit strange must have influenced them massively.
 pec 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

> So go on then, favourite Marillion or Fish track. >

Grendel, but ideally live when the song really came to life.
I have a recording of them performing it at Reading Rock in 1983 which I taped when it was broadcast on the Friday Rock Show which is superb. There is a live version on Youtube from the "Recital of the Script" video but its not as good as the Reading version.
They had just released Script, one of the best debut albums in rock for me and the world lay at their feet. Sadly it gradually went downhill from thereon.

Sl@te Head 21 Sep 2017
In reply to pec:
> Grendel, but ideally live when the song really came to life.

> I have a recording of them performing it at Reading Rock in 1983 which I taped when it was broadcast on the Friday Rock Show which is superb.

Were you there at Reading Rock 1983? I was, I Saw them a few times after that including Brixton Academy, awesome gigs, a band flying high but it soon came to an end, not the same without Fish...
Post edited at 21:32
 Bobling 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:
Sugar Mice in the Rain if I had to pick one track. Favourite album The Thieving Magpie, listened to over and over and over again whilst playing Ultima IV (or was it Martian Dreams?) in my early teens.
Post edited at 21:47
 More-On 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Me too and couldn't agree more - stuck with them until Cumbria Rock in 91 then drifted away.
As I said above Script and Fugazi are two of my all time favourite albums.
I also really enjoyed grendel on the MSH 12 inch and then live, but it's not my favourite...
 Tyler 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:
Coincidentally Misplaced Childhood has been on repeat play on my stereo this last week after an absence of many years. I'd be interested in other recommendations (by Marillion or similar) I liked Fugazi but never bothered with any of there other stuff.
Post edited at 22:22
 pec 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Were you there at Reading Rock 1983? >

Unfortunately not, I was too young but I've still got my recording from 34 years ago, now transferred to CD, after posting above I got it out and played it, still sounds great.
There was a real buzz of excitement about them for a year or two back then, like they were on the verge of something really big but sadly that was their high water mark.

aln 21 Sep 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> early Genesis material before Phil Collins went a bit strange

Isn't it the other way round? Genesis were good when they were a bit strange, then became rubbish when Collins got a bit normal?

Bulls Crack 22 Sep 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I'm afraid that's what I thought on first hearing them; ersatz Gabriel, and never really listened again. Maybe I should.
 toad 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:
Their most recent album, FEAR, garnered a lot of very good reviews, but I think you have to consider them to be a different band from the Fish fronted one.
 Bobling 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Walk to work lasted just long enough for Misplaced Childhood and Sugar Mice in the Rain. I wonder how many other UKCers are taking a trip down musical memory lane this morning : )

It's always pleased me that one of my favourite crags Wintour's Leap has so many Marillion route names.
In reply to Denni:

Misplaced Childhood was their early peak; fine album, great seeing them do it on your too.

However, the debt I owe to Marillion is not for the music they made but something else. Back in 1983 they played a student place (the Sugar House?) in Lancaster. A group of us were dragged along by a friend who was keen. The support act was Peter Hammill, on fine form too. I return to his music frequently still, years after Marillion had faded from recall.

T.
Bellie 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

The album cover for Misplaced Childhood was great too - another Mark Wilkinson gem. I recall reading that when they first told Mark that the new album was going to be a concept album he was horrified. Concept albums were out of fashion and Marillion were dogged at the time the 70s prog rock tag, so this was adding ammo to those who saw them as such.

But he said he was blown away when he first heard it and it became the album that brought them mainstream success. Kayleigh was a surprise hit. On the back of that they released Lavender - which was a bit wishy washy... brought home by the fact that I heard a young kid stood by the side of his mum and a pram singing 'Lavender blue dilly dilly' Not the greatest thing for a rock band's cred.... being popular in the playground!

First heard Bitter Suite prior to the album's release the next day, on Annie Nightingales sunday evening show. I still recall Fish's spoken poetic lyrics at the start captivating me . Needless to say the following morning I had the album. Oh the old days of having to catch the bus into town, buy the thing and bring it home to stick it on the record player.
 Big Ger 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Saw them on their first tour, touring Jester's Tear.

I only went as Peter Hammill was their support act, Peter Hammill SUPPORTING Marillion FFS!

Quite fond of Jester's Tear, in a sort of, "the best Album Genesis never made" sort of way, never bothered with anything else.
 kwoods 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Denni:

Loved Marillion for well over a decade (I'm 26 so wasn't about when Clutching was out! Or Seasons End...)

A lot of love for Clutching, particularly Hotel Hobbies - but I love the continuity of Misplaced Childhood, Blind Curve in particular is just staggering.

Until April of this year I also drummed with a Fish-era Marillion tribute. (Shameless ex-plug, sorry!!) youtube.com/watch?v=gCl5bGBnfFQ&

Six amazing years, until I uprooted and moved to Glen Coe...
 Big Ger 24 Sep 2017
In reply to kwoods:

Full marks for (almost) a classic line from Alpha Papa.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469021/trivia?item=tr1975593

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...