UKC

Imperfections on the face of the earth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 02 Oct 2017
Just saw this on Twitter:

"If you scaled a snooker ball up to the size of the Earth, it would have mountains three times higher than anything on the planet."

Is our sport merely the scaling of tiny imperfections on the face of the earth?
 Billhook 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

yes. Or no. It depends on you're definition of an imperfection.
 DaveHK 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:
> Imperfections on the face of the earth

If anyone is looking for a really pretentious new route name...
Post edited at 07:00
 Yanis Nayu 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

Dunno, but it's an excuse for why I'm shit at snooker.
Andy Gamisou 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Just saw this on Twitter:

> "If you scaled a snooker ball up to the size of the Earth, it would have mountains three times higher than anything on the planet."

> Is our sport merely the scaling of tiny imperfections on the face of the earth?

Imagine our sport if you scaled up your own.... oh nevermind.

Wft 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

A nice concept
 spartacus 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:
What colour snooker ball?
 Shani 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

> "If you scaled a snooker ball up to the size of the Earth, it would have mountains three times higher than anything on the planet."

I recall from my geodesy module that the closest mathematical shape to that of the earth is an oblate spheroid. This is only the second time I have had cause to recall this factoid.

OP john arran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to spartacus:

> What colour snooker ball?

The twitter picture showed, Red, white and black balls, so presumably their surfaces are made of sandstone, limestone and basalt
Clauso 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

If you scaled up Three Pebble Slab to the size of El Cap, then would it still be HVS?
 Robert Durran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

I make Everest the equivalent of about 1/50 mm on a snooker ball. 3/50 mm seems rather big to me? Some exaggeration going on?

The Lemming 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

Where would bouldering fit in on this snooker ball?
OP john arran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Where would bouldering fit in on this snooker ball?

Well if Robert's figure is correct, by my reckoning that would make your average boulder problem about 1/100 of a micron high. Of course you could still make it longer by adding a sit start.
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

> The twitter picture showed, Red, white and black balls, so presumably their surfaces are made of sandstone, limestone and basalt

What about for those of us viewing on green-screen monitors?
 John2 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

I make it closer to 1/30 mm. According to Wikipedia the acceptable tolerance on a snooker ball is +/- 0.05mm, so roughly 1 1/2 Everests. Like the claim that Brexit would leave us with £350m extra per week for the NHS, John's original claim is an outrageous lie.
pasbury 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

Well I get a kick out of it.
 d_b 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Shani:

So you are saying that the earth is better suited to bowls than snooker? That's something of a relief I suppose.
 Jonathan Emett 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

"Even if it's only a dream, it's a pretty horrible idea," said Mella, ``"destroying a world just to make a bypass."
"``Oh, I've heard of worse," said Ford, "``I read of one planet off in the seventh dimension that got used as a ball in a game of intergalactic bar billiards. Got potted straight into a black hole. Killed ten billion people."
"``That's mad," said Mella.
"``Yes, only scored thirty points too."

- Douglas Adams
In reply to john arran:

The snooker ball doesn't have oceans. The earth would look a lot more lumpy if it wasn't for the water.
 Lemony 02 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

Interestingly, Europa - the smoothest moon in the solar system - only seems to vary by about 200-300m from "sea level". It's a pretty big moon so that's about equivalent to Snowden being the tallest mountain on earth. That, by my reckoning makes it vastly smoother than a snooker ball.
 John2 02 Oct 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

But the snooker ball has a +/- tolerance. The + corresponds to Everest while the - corresponds to the Mariana Trench.
 Mark Bull 02 Oct 2017
In reply to John2:

> According to Wikipedia the acceptable tolerance on a snooker ball is +/- 0.05mm, so roughly 1 1/2 Everests.

That's maybe a bit misleading - the tolerance is on the diameter, not the sphericity or surface roughness. See http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/balls.html#magnified

John2 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Mark Bull:

'Bottom line: New, polished pool balls are much rounder than the Earth and somewhat smoother than the "geologically interesting" areas of the Earth. Old, worn pool balls are still much rounder than the Earth but depending on damage may be rougher than the roughest spots on the surface of the Earth'

Interesting to know that the academics at Colorado State University have so much time to pursue their interests (I wonder if that's the same Colorado State University that John Gill was a professor at). Just shows that the original assertion was even more out of line than I claimed.
 Michael Gordon 02 Oct 2017
In reply to John2:

I guess there's nothing stopping them making pool balls Earth-shaped. May make the game more interesting...
 John2 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I note that the OP believes what he reads on Twitter. Let's hope he's not a fan of Donald Trump.
In reply to john arran:

I thought this was going to be another thread about Boris Johnson...
In reply to Dave Perry:

> yes. Or no. It depends on you're definition of an imperfection.

Your spelling of your is a definition of imperfection...

(Nearly 14 hours and no one has pointed this out! Ukc standards of grammar pedantry are clearly not what they were....)
 stp 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Clauso:

> If you scaled up Three Pebble Slab to the size of El Cap, then would it still be HVS?

It would be bloody run out though at least there'd be some holds.
 Shani 02 Oct 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> (Nearly 14 hours and no one has pointed this out! Ukc standards of grammar pedantry are clearly not what they were....)

Capital 'E' required in the title as well, no?
 Robert Durran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Mark Bull:

> That's maybe a bit misleading - the tolerance is on the diameter, not the sphericity or surface roughness. See http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/balls.html#magnified

So it seems like my suspicions were well founded! Despite the dislikers........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...