UKC

Drivers of motor vehicles (part 1 & 2 & 3)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Einriba 02 Oct 2017
It saddens me to write this (as a petrol head myself, a car driver and a fan of the internal combustion engine), but on this mornings drive (18 mile commute) I had 3 incidents that really were a shambolic display of driving, and endangering lives. I just thought you should all be made aware of them so that we can all work together to have safer roads.

Part 1.
I'm going through a roundabout (only 3 exits on it). I pass the junction for the left turn, and heading for the "straight ahead" exit. A car pulls out in front of me from the left. I hit the brakes to avoid a collision. My thanks for being alert, driving at an appropriate speed, and avoiding a crash?...."f**k you" shouted out the window. Charming. This woman had no idea what had just happened.

Part 2
Driving through a small village, the car in front - guy puts his phone up to his ear, hits a left, mounts the kerb and stops (half on half off the road). Added to that, he had stopped opposite a traffic island. There wasn't much of a gap at all. Enough for cars, anything bigger is going to struggle.

Part 3
A car behind me apparently forgot to dip their lights after being on some quiet roads. After about 6 miles of me hanging out the window, gesticulating that they were on full beam and dazzling me, they dipped their lights. It soon became apparent why they were on full beam - their dipped headlights were not working. Well, one wasn't, the other was.

I was hesitant about writing this after some of the responses to the two cycling threads.

I'll update after my commute home.
 Andrew Wilson 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

Just to be clear, you drove for 6 miles hanging out of the window waving your arms around looking at a vehicle behind you in a built up area, and you want the collective to join you in a critique of others' bad driving?
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

ok, not quite - and I assume you'd guessed that, but just wanted to be pedantic about it. So let me be clear.

For a distance of around 6 miles, when appropriate, I would indicate to the driver behind that they hadn't dipped their lights.

I'm not after a critique of driving. And on this forum, no, I don't expect anyone to join me in anything. I've found this climbing forum to be the most toxic, unfriendly community I've ever joined.
 graeme jackson 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'm not after a critique of driving.

So,what exactly are you after, having started a thread criticising bad driving?
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:
I'm just pointing out that there are bad car drivers on the road. Doing my part. There are 2 cycling threads, just making sure we capture all road issues, not just ones where people don't like cyclists.

Your question is relevant to those threads as well - just what was the point?
Post edited at 09:01
 Greasy Prusiks 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> And on this forum, no, I don't expect anyone to join me in anything. I've found this climbing forum to be the most toxic, unfriendly community I've ever joined.

That's a shame. If it's any help the actual climbing threads are normally very friendly. Completely different to some of the off belay stuff.
 MG 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

I'm not seeing a bunch of drivers immediately justifying what.you describe, unlike the inevitable cyclists justifying bad cycling. That's the difference.
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

You say this - I remember a thread about TR climbers having to give way to trad climbers. It got very heated, the base line being - TR climbers should move out the way for the superior trad climbers, even if you've just set up the TR for your family to climb. There's a hierarchy to be adhered to - and TR is at the bottom of the pile.

I'm sure there are decent people on here, there just seems to be a high % of keyboard warriors. I'll be closing my account soon, I've really had enough of it (I'm not wanting sympathy or calls of "please don't" - I'm out.). I've gained nothing from this forum other than arguments.
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

Who justified what the cyclists did in those threads?

People proposed alternatives other than "cyclists are nasty".

What they didn't like was the rest of that first post.
In reply to Einriba:

bye then.
 MG 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> Who justified what the cyclists did in those threads?

E.g. better to cycle without lights to "get to safety quicker" if you forget them.
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

lol, ok, you can have that one.
 Greasy Prusiks 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:
Not all of us think that but that's fair enough. Enjoy your climbing.
Post edited at 09:37
 jkarran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

If people behind you are bothering you let them past.

I saw a weasel this morning and there were some twigs blowing around. Also the lollipop man at the end of my road gave me a cheery wave. Can't wait for this evening's excitement, if it rains there might be puddles and if a potato wagon has spilled some spuds at the roundabout again I might pick a few up for dinner.

Try not to let the small stuff get to you and if it is when it wouldn't normally then perhaps it's time to have a think and a chat about why that might be.
jk
 jkarran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'm not after a critique of driving. And on this forum, no, I don't expect anyone to join me in anything. I've found this climbing forum to be the most toxic, unfriendly community I've ever joined.

That's a shame but it begs a question: why remain?
jk
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to jkarran:
I'm not - I've requested that my account is closed.

I get what you're saying in the previous reply. I only did this thread to try and highlight the pointlessness of the two cycling threads. These incidents didn't bother me really - that's just life, people make mistakes.
Post edited at 10:01
 nufkin 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> that's just life, people make mistakes.

Other people make mistakes, the useless bastards. Bollocks to the lot of 'em
Deadeye 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'll update after my commute home.

Yes! Keep us posted!
Deadeye 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'm sure there are decent people on here, there just seems to be a high % of keyboard warriors. I'll be closing my account soon, I've really had enough of it (I'm not wanting sympathy or calls of "please don't" - I'm out.). I've gained nothing from this forum other than arguments.

I'm a decent person.... but I sure as hell will take the piss out of anyone as self-inflated as this.
OP Einriba 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

"self-inflated as this."

Do you even know what that means and what context to put it in? I'll help you - not the way you've used it
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I've gained nothing from this forum other than arguments.

Nobody will agree with that!

Dax H 02 Oct 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> I saw a weasel this morning and there were some twigs blowing around. Also the lollipop man at the end of my road gave me a cheery wave. Can't wait for this evening's excitement.

Any day you see a Weasel (even if you think it might be a stoat still class it as a Weasel) is a good day.
The drive home certainly won't be as good unless you see him again.

Deadeye 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'll help you

Oh good. Do stay in touch.
 john arran 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Dax H:

> Any day you see a Weasel (even if you think it might be a stoat still class it as a Weasel) is a good day.

What's the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

One's weasily recognisable; the other's stotally different.

profitofdoom 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I'll be closing my account soon, I've really had enough of it (I'm not wanting sympathy or calls of "please don't" - I'm out.).

Please do not go we have a wonderful long flounce-free period
 1poundSOCKS 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

> I've gained nothing from this forum other than arguments.

You learned this, if nowt else...

> TR is at the bottom of the pile.

But seriously, if you stay away from the serious tribal stuff, like Brexit and cylists vs motorists, you might have a better experience.
 Brass Nipples 02 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

Oh I don't know.

Lots of posters on here defending park where you like and speeding. With the it is only a few mph above the speed limit I.e justifying bad driving

MG 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Oh I don't know.

> Lots of posters on here defending park where you like and

Loads? Find 2
In reply to MG:

Don't be so lazy like the parking feckers...

In reply to john arran:

> What's the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

> One's weasily recognisable; the other's stotally different.

That was weasily goat
 MG 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Don't be so lazy like the parking feckers...

So there aren't any, let alone loads, as I suspected.
In reply to MG:

Come on, you after all, were named after a car. Sure you can find the parking threads and add up if you tried. Naming individuals, for what purpose, other than to stir. Put your wooden spoon away you might enjoy life more.

Dave the Rave 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

Mmmm.
Part one.
Are you saying that at the roundabout there were exits at 9 o'clock 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock?
I thought you could be in the left lane to exit at 12 which would exonerate the other driver if they were in front of you?
 Timmd 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Mmmm.
> Part one.
> Are you saying that at the roundabout there were exits at 9 o'clock 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock?
> I thought you could be in the left lane to exit at 12 which would exonerate the other driver if they were in front of you?

''I'm going through a roundabout (only 3 exits on it). I pass the junction for the left turn, and heading for the "straight ahead" exit. A car pulls out in front of me from the left.''

It could seem like the person who was turning left (for them) tried to go for it when the OP was past her exit already?
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Sounds like a motorist gunned it onto the roundabout as the OP was passing the first exit. So the other motorist was doing the roundabout equivalent of red light jumping.
 Dave the Rave 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Sounds like a motorist gunned it onto the roundabout as the OP was passing the first exit. So the other motorist was doing the roundabout equivalent of red light jumping.

I see, ta
 wintertree 02 Oct 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> If people behind you are bothering you let them past.

I did exactly this with an angry man in a Focous RS an hour ago. I nearly regretted doing so, I reckon he was that close to loosing it as he sped off angrily round the bends. Would have delayed my journey home as I stoped to call the fire brigade/ambulance....
In reply to wintertree:

Indeed, and the number of motorists who try overtaking on blind bends is frightening. If you stopped to let every bad driver past you would never get home. Best just to flup the rear view mirror to stop the blinding effect.
 Big Ger 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

It's why I have a dash-cam. There's a small joy to be had in posting compilations of shite driving clips on youtube. Number plates included of course.
 martinturner 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Einriba:

Part 2:

Damn people stopping to talk on the phone.... buy an automatic and just get on with your conversation! You may slightly block a road if you stop, while being responsible!
Hate conscientious people.
 profitofdoom 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Sounds like a motorist gunned it onto the roundabout as the OP was passing the first exit. So the other motorist was doing the roundabout equivalent of red light jumping.

I just drive straight across all roundabouts. It's far safer. No traffic at all on there
 Brass Nipples 03 Oct 2017
In reply to martinturner:

Driving illegally on the pavement is hardly responsible
 GrahamD 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Driving illegally on the pavement is hardly responsible

You might hit a cyclist for a start

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...