UKC

Help with jacket waist relief

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mountainjack 22 Oct 2017

Hey forum, I've been trying on jackets (non-insulated hardshells) for mountaineering and hiking for a while and realised I've got a pretty strange body size which makes the fit strange on some jackets, mainly around the waist.

Just for future reference, I wanted to know how much extra diameter does your jacket have from your waist (when stretched) in order for it to have a proper fit in your opinion?

(body waist)
|--------------------------------------------|--------| (jacket waist relief size)

You can let me know in inches of cm, I just wanted to have a suggestion on what exactly should I be looking for as I feel good on both small and big sized waist on the jackets.

Thanks!!
Post edited at 17:27
 girlymonkey 22 Oct 2017
In reply to mountainjack:

It depends on what conditions you plan on using it in and therefore how many layers you plan on wearing under it. If you want a down jacket under it then you need a lot more space than if you plan on wearing it with just a base layer!
 Andy Morley 22 Oct 2017

Do the clothes tend to be too large or too small around your waist?
mountainjack 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Andy Morley:

It depends. On an M its everything feels fine, but the waist looks a little but loose (although I can pull the waist elastic strings to straighten it up), however, the S usually feels a bit tighter, but still good.

I'm planning on using a layered approach, although after trying it with a medium thickness fleece on, that is the way I feel in them.

The problem here is that I feel good on both, but in order to make the best choice I would need some advice into how I should face a jacket purchase thinking about the future, something that is flexible in its size that lasts.
 Andy Morley 22 Oct 2017

Have you tried coats that are tailored for women, since they often have a smaller waist?
mountainjack 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Andy Morley:

I thought women's jackets were completely different in sizes than the men's. What is the main difference on the cut?
 Andy Morley 22 Oct 2017

They have panels let in to accommodate larger hips. Been here with cycling tops for a mixed-sex cycling club. Maybe try on some women's jackets and if one feels good, have it taken in around the hips? Might be easier than taking in a waist on a mens' cut... You have to try these things.
 Stew1803 23 Oct 2017

My advice would be, make sure the sleeves don't ride up with arms above your head, and that the jacket still covers your lower back at the same time.

I have a small waist and hips, but fairly broad shoulders. im about 5 foot 8/9 with a 28-29 in waist and find medium is a good fit, though baggy round the waist at times.
NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Stew1803:

I'm actually having the same issue as mountainjack!

What to you mean by "ride up with arms above your head"? Do you mean that when I stretch my arms above my head, the sleeves don't come down? Should I test this while fixing the strap on the wrists or without?

Don't you find any problems with the baggyness of the jackets?
 nniff 23 Oct 2017

I just size mine so that the arms are long enough that I can pull my hands inside if it's lashing down and so that I can put my arms above my head if I'm wearing a harness (not that I often wear it with a harness). Other than that, it has to fit (snugly) over my standard winter climbing clothing plus a belay jacket. Consequently it's a loose fit if I have to wear it on the walk in with only a baselayer underneath.

Hateful bloody things. Only wear them if it's properly raining or there's that minging all day drizzle. Most of mine have led a wasted life languishing at the bottom of a rucksack. However, the most wretched item of clothing is waterproof trousers. I hope that I have at least 30 years before I need waterproof pants again.
NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to nniff:

When you speak about "loose fit", how bit is that? As mountainjack was saying would be helpful just to have an idea of the actual "loose" size
 Stew1803 23 Oct 2017
In reply to NinoFabio:

you got it. with your arms above your head I try to find a jacket that the cuff of the sleeve still covers my wrist. not to nice when its snowing/raining and your climbing (especially with gloves) and the rain or snow gets down the sleeve.

and ive never found any problems with baggy clothing, im not a fan of tight clothes as it is, and usually buy tshirts a size up anyway. but everyone is different, and the current styles are that of close fitting contoured clothes.

I mean baggy Waxed cotton or wool parkas worked perfectly for many explorers of the world. as long as its comfortable then it doesn't really matter I suppose. all down to personal preference. my extremities run cold due to poor circulation so id rather have baggy clothes I could layer under than a restrictive tight fitting jacket.

I usually have a good few inches of "gap" between my waist and the jacket, gets held close by hip belt on rucksack or a harness anyway, so don't see why bagginess is an issue personally.
 nniff 23 Oct 2017
In reply to NinoFabio:

It's certainly not tailored. If you lay most waterproofs out flat with the zip done up, they're straight from armpit to hem. Take a 73kg, 6ft climber with a 32 inch waist who would wear a 38 Long suit. Then put him in a large waterproof - it fits like a sack, but the hem and the tops and ends of the sleeves are in the right places. If he puts the hood up, the jacket doesn't lift his arms up either.

If he puts on a baselayer and a couple of thin fleeces and and a thick softshell and a belay jacket, then he looks like a barrel but can still move his arms fairly normally (and can climb still the last few pitches like that if the weather has totally crapped out).

If you put him in a medium waterproof, his arms dangle out of the end of the sleeves and he can't raise his arms above his head without the whole thing riding up. If he tries to wear it over a belay jacket, he looks like an over-stuffed turkey with as much freedom of movement. If he puts the hood up, his arms may now point at the horizon.

The waist's not a concern - it's always the shoulders and arm length. There's always lots of spare fabric around the waist if I'm not wearing lots of layers. Now if I hung a 42 inch waist around my frame it would be a different story, but then maybe I wouldn't need a belay jacket.

NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Stew1803:

Thanks! This sounds like an obviously silly question, but do you usually do the arm sleeve testing with the wrist bands unstrapped? (a little obvious too I guess)
NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to nniff:

Thanks! That does make sense. Its usually around the chest and arms. I've been trying a couple of jackets and noticed, like mountainjack that they feel too large, but where it feels strange, even with a fleece is the amount of space around the chest.

Now, I don't know if this is normal, but with a thin fleece on, pulling the zipped chest of the jacket forward I can still fit about 6 to 7 inches of space. I feel comfortable, but don't want to buy something that doesn't that isn't right for a future endeavour.
 Stew1803 23 Oct 2017
In reply to NinoFabio:

with them tight, how id usually wear it
NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Stew1803:

But in that case they would never slide down once you lift your arm, right? They are strapped :/
 Stew1803 23 Oct 2017
In reply to NinoFabio:

I don't tighten them so they are really tight, loose enough I can slide my hand in and out no problem, so definitely loose enough to slide on my wrist, just make sure they are long enough that they still cover your wrist with arms vertical.
NinoFabio 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Stew1803:

Makes sense! Thanks for the help!

Hope mountainjack reads these, they should probably answer the main question on this post.
mountainjack 24 Oct 2017

Thanks for all the help! Really enlightening I'll definitely have a cleaner look at the jackets now!
In reply to NinoFabio:

> They are strapped

Not really. And, if they are, then the hem will rise.

A well-designed jacket, aimed at climbers, will have an armscye designed to minimise cuff and hem pull. Compare this with a tailored suit; try raising your arm above your head in a suit, and see what happens.

I check armscye design on all upper body clothing, by doing a full range of typical arm movement; above the head, behind the back, across the body, out to the side. Check cuff pull and hem rise.
NinoFabio 24 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

But if I lift my arms on any jacket, the waist level always goes up a little bit because I'm pulling the fabric up, right?
In reply to NinoFabio:

> But if I lift my arms on any jacket, the waist level always goes up a little bit because I'm pulling the fabric up, right?

It depends on the design of the armscye. A good design will minimise cuff pull and hem rise. Because it won't pull the fabric up.

Try the example I gave.
NinoFabio 24 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes, that makes sense, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...