/ Red Rocks, Las Vegas

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
petegunn on 15 Nov 2017
Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is a bus service to Red Rocks from Vegas or would it be better hiring a car for a couple of days?
As you have to leave in the evening anyway it may work out ok to catch the last bus back into town.
Cheers
Pete
snoop6060 - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

You need a car, defo. Just got back 2 days ago if you want a annual pass to the loop road and some beta
Offwidth - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:
You absolutely need a car or to get someone with a car through Mountain Project/Supertop who needs a partner. You need to be careful on some of the unpaved approach tracks to parking south of the main loop road: they are often 'excitimg' drivng and if you prang you usually won't be insured (even a 4x4!)
Post edited at 13:56
Robert Durran - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> You need to be careful on some of the unpaved approach tracks to parking south of the main loop road: they are often 'excitimg' drivng and if you prang you usually won't be insured (even a 4x4!)

I wouldn't advise the Black Velvet road without high clearance, but you can always park at the start of the road and walk it.

Francescaparratt - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Are you there now, or planning a trip? I’m going to be there in April and will be looking for partners (will also have a big ass truck).
snoop6060 - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:
We got down it fine loads of time in car with normal clearence but it did take an absolute battering. Defo get damage insurance anyway as even getting too close to those desert plants results in mighty fine scratches on the car.
Post edited at 16:54
petegunn on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks all, off in a few weeks for a wedding but was gonna pop the climbing gear in as well.

Do you need to pay for a permit for the loop road? Is it better to get a week's pass rather than individual day(s)?

Also any good route recommendations, especially cracks: fingers/hands/fist/offwidths?
Many thanks
jimtitt - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

You pay for the loop road but some of the areas are outside.
planetmarshall on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

As a Peak resident and pedant I feel the need to point out that it's "Red Rock" and not "Red Rocks", but maybe the Americans are more laid back about these things.
cem on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

It's not so clear cut. For example, Jerry Handren's guide book is called 'Red Rocks: A Climber's Guide'
planetmarshall on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to cem:

> It's not so clear cut. For example, Jerry Handren's guide book is called 'Red Rocks: A Climber's Guide'

As a Brit, Handren should be ashamed of himself. It's this lax attitude to grammar that lost us the Colonies.

Anyway, on the subject of cracks, The Fox (5.10d) is the only one I've done, and is a king line. "Tooth Decay", nearby (Couldn't find in in the logbooks) is a fun offwidth roof if a bit sandy.

"Desert Gold" (Couldn't find that either on UKC) is the classic roof crack.

See also Out of control (5.10c) and The Nightcrawler (5.10c)

snoop6060 - on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

The Cloud Tower (5.12a)

As cracks go, this is meant to be ace. It certainly looks the part. Big day I expect.
rpc on 17 Nov 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Check out Triassic Sands. Nightcrawler is great but it's mostly some delicate dihedral stemming vs. crack. If you want more crack options, go to Zion.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.