UKC

End of the World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sanjeev Nanda 18 Nov 2017
Read a news on DailyMail and as usual it is about the end of the world on Sunday. Can't understand why these news are published every now and then? Just to grab attention? Or is there some other agenda?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5093449/Conspiracy-theorists...
 The Lemming 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Sanjeev Nanda:
Is it worth tidying up the house because if we are all alive on Monday I will suffer the wrath of She who must be obayed?
Post edited at 08:15
 Trangia 18 Nov 2017

Remember Hale-Bopp?

http://home.bt.com/news/on-this-day/march-26-1997-comet-hale-bopp-claims-th...

39 deluded folk actually believed it.

There are people out there who will believe anything.
Lusk 18 Nov 2017

Is Nibiru where Trump thinks Nambia is?
 profitofdoom 18 Nov 2017

I am not surprised that people endlessly forecast the end of the world. They might believe it or they might have many arguably unhealthy motives for example attention-seeking, increasing their fame or becoming famous, selling their book, reestablishing their position among their followers if any, or making money in other ways --

what surprises me is that people believe these charlatans
 Andy Hardy 18 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

No, just tell her the mess was caused by the plasmatic energy particles from nibiro disrupting the (very) local core flows.

You'll get off Scot free
 Big Ger 18 Nov 2017

I feel fine.
 Bulls Crack 19 Nov 2017

A s far as I'm concerned if, because of Brexit, my Beaujolais Nouveau goes up in price by 25% it is the fekin' end of the World.
 Skipinder 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I don't know what you're worrying about - I've got a few bottles of Vosne-Romanee that are yet to mature!
 Wainers44 19 Nov 2017

Ends today huh?

Wonder if there's enough time left for breakfast ?
 mypyrex 19 Nov 2017

What time's it happening?
 Billhook 19 Nov 2017

Have I got time to have breakfast?
aultguish 19 Nov 2017

Bl@@dy hell. I've just filled the van up to the brim with diesel!! I could've saved myself a fortune if I'd known about this
Moley 19 Nov 2017

My last day on earth and I have a hangover, typical bad timing by me.
 profitofdoom 19 Nov 2017
In reply to aultguish:

> Bl@@dy hell. I've just filled the van up to the brim with diesel!! I could've saved myself a fortune if I'd known about this

Yes 10 litres would have been enough or even 5

What amazed me was those people in the USA a few years ago who spent loads of money to advertise the end of the world as announced by Harold Camping
Post edited at 09:37
 Ridge 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> A s far as I'm concerned if, because of Brexit, my Beaujolais Nouveau goes up in price by 25% it is the fekin' end of the World.

But it'll be replaced by British turnip wine in red, white and blue bottles. What's not to like about that?
 cander 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

So crap Saturday night then?
 Big Ger 19 Nov 2017
In reply to cander:

My REM was affected.
Moley 19 Nov 2017

Not long to go now, or Perhaps they are wrong?
We shall know in the next 50 minutes.
 Wainers44 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Moley:

> Not long to go now, or Perhaps they are wrong?

> We shall know in the next 50 minutes.

Don't want to worry you, but it's gone really dark here?

My brother actually believes that the earth is flat (seriously).

Some people are naturally gullible.

TWS
 Ben_Climber 20 Nov 2017

Just to grab attention...

Similar to your post title

Moley 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> Don't want to worry you, but it's gone really dark here?

It's light here!
Jim C 20 Nov 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

> I am not surprised that people endlessly forecast the end of the world. They might believe it or they might have many arguably unhealthy motives for example attention-seeking, increasing their fame or becoming famous, selling their book, reestablishing their position among their followers if any, or making money in other ways --

> what surprises me is that people believe these charlatans

IF they are right , then there will be no one left to acknowledge that they were right( not even them)
Best then, just to keep that info to themselves.
 deepsoup 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> IF they are right , then there will be no one left to acknowledge that they were right( not even them)

I'm not up to speed with this latest one, but don't religious types predicting the end of the world tend to believe that they're going to survive it in some way? The rapture or some such, whether that means some kind of life-after-death or even being physically rescued by God.
Lusk 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> My brother actually believes that the earth is flat (seriously).

And you believe in UFOs ...
Just an observation, like
In reply to Lusk:

> And you believe in UFOs ...

> Just an observation, like

Oh yeah I forgot we are the only sentient beings in the whole universe as well as the most advanced.

Small minded springs to mind here.

Knock yourself out.

Lord_ash2000 20 Nov 2017

> Oh yeah I forgot we are the only sentient beings in the whole universe as well as the most advanced.

> Small minded springs to mind here.

> Knock yourself out.

Actually believing in the possibility of advanced alien life existing in the universe at the same time as us is just a matter of odds and is totally reasonable. Believing said aliens have come to the planet based on nothing more than hearsay and sketchy photos is a totally different matter.
 Wainers44 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Moley:

> It's light here!

Oh no. That cant be good. Its a sign...a sign I tell you.
Rigid Raider 20 Nov 2017

I'm quite happy with the idea that aliens exist on other planets but where I'm a bit doubtful is that for any of them to have visited us here on Earth they would need to be very considerably more technically advanced, enough to have overcome the laws of physics and found a way to travel much faster than the speed of light. This assumes that we all started to develop at roughly the same time a few million years after the big bang and developed our technologies at the same rate.
Jim C 22 Nov 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> I'm not up to speed with this latest one, but don't religious types predicting the end of the world tend to believe that they're going to survive it in some way? The rapture or some such, whether that means some kind of life-after-death or even being physically rescued by God.

That is no doubt true, but all the more reason for them to keep quiet about it and sit smugly waiting for all the unbelievers to be wiped out and then only they will be left to inherit the earth ( or whatever/ wherever it is they will inherit)
 profitofdoom 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> Actually believing in the possibility of advanced alien life existing in the universe at the same time as us is just a matter of odds and is totally reasonable

I liked the comment by someone (Asimov? Carl Sagan?) that
- it would be amazing if aliens exist
- it would be equally amazing if they do not exist and we are alone in the universe
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Nov 2017

There's always the slightly unpleasant possibility that one of the phenomena that we can reasonably assume is universal, i.e. evolution, inevitably results in life forms whose intelligence and development of technology always outstrips their evolved capacity to deal with it.

In our own case we have developed the ability to have access to as much food as we want - in the West at least - so now we're all obese. We have evolved the ability to work communally - then 'elect' seriously dangerous individuals like Trump, or are swayed by idiots like Farrage who divide and antagonise.

In short, maybe all intelligent life forms develop so far then self destruct...

Tam O'Bam 24 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

You should definitely tidy the house. Why risk it with SWMBO?

On the other hand, If the world DOES end, you're going to feel a bit silly having put all the effort in. Um..........
 Tam O'Bam 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Absolutely! As the Good Book says "The sleek shall inherit the dearth". I think that was it anyway.......
 GrahamD 24 Nov 2017

My step daughter works at the Daily Mail. Apparently she is expected at work as usual on Monday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...