UKC

SAIS App

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 20 Dec 2017

Just came across this yesterday. Seems like it has promise for new winter hill goers and the more experienced alike.

https://www.sais.gov.uk/mobile-app/

I think i'll be using the slope angle tool to work out just how steep of an approach my climbing partner has suggested for 'an alright walk-in'. Knees are bruised from the yomping in last week.
Post edited at 11:00
 gali 21 Dec 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Great app. The rose only works on a map if you are in the map area apparently , contacted SAIS after i couldn't get it to work in Wales!
 inboard 21 Dec 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Yep its a good app. Great to see OS maps on there, and would be amazing if they can integrate digital terrain model data in order to overlay slope steepness categories (eg >30, >35, >40 degrees) - as the Swiss (eg Swisstopo online and printed ski maps), Austrians (eg bergfex online and app), and others do.

Would also like to see an option for switching off the startup sequence of top tips - which are good and important but a pain every time you start the app.
 99ster 21 Dec 2017
In reply to gali:

> Great app. The rose only works on a map if you are in the map area apparently , contacted SAIS after i couldn't get it to work in Wales!

That might be because...the SAIS service doesn't cover Wales...
 gali 21 Dec 2017
In reply to 99ster:

I know that, i just wanted to try it out and see the rose on the ben nevis map
 jonnie3430 30 Dec 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Anyone having dramas with this? I can't get it to update the avalanche forecasts, it shows the hazard, but when I click on the forecasting, get one from 20 Dec. Anyone else having this? Am I doing something wrong?
 AlH 30 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Are you on an Adroid device? Sounds like a few people are having to clear their cache to get an updated forecast? If this is the case worth dropping SAIS a msg to let them know although I believe they are aware of the issue and working on it. Seems Android is tougher to get a bug free App written on because of the number of platforms it operates on compared to IOS?
 jonnie3430 30 Dec 2017
In reply to AlH:

Aye, am on android, deleting my cache didn't fix anything, have sent email to developers and you can see that others are having the same issue in the reviews. Cheers for the help.
 StuDoig 30 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

yea, I'm having the same problems. Shame as for me quick access to the reports was the most useful part of the app.

Hopefully resolved soon!
James Jackson 30 Dec 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

A very useful app, but it would be nice if it didn't nag me to turn on location services all the time!
Removed User 05 Jan 2018
In reply to James Jackson:

For info

The iOS Be Avalanche Aware app is functioning fine -
Initially the Android version was too , but it was not pulling in data for the latest avalanche reports, so we made it inactiv at the end of December.
The developers are working on it and we hope to have a functioning Android app launched early next week.
Apologies for the hassle but we felt it was important that we were providing accurate and up to date information.
 rj_townsend 05 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed Userish Avalanche Info Service:

> For info

> The iOS Be Avalanche Aware app is functioning fine -

> Initially the Android version was too , but it was not pulling in data for the latest avalanche reports, so we made it inactiv at the end of December.

> The developers are working on it and we hope to have a functioning Android app launched early next week.

> Apologies for the hassle but we felt it was important that we were providing accurate and up to date information.

Fantastic app - well done!
 rj_townsend 05 Jan 2018
In reply to James Jackson:

> A very useful app, but it would be nice if it didn't nag me to turn on location services all the time!

This can be solved by going into settings/privacy/location services and changing from "only when using the app" to "always".
James Jackson 06 Jan 2018
In reply to rj_townsend:

That's on the assumption that I want location services turned on...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...