UKC

Lee Quarry, Bacup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Grist 02 Mar 2018

Does anybody know if there is any ice climbing at Lee Quarry near Bacup? I have been mountain biking there a bit in the summer but never been up there in winter. 

A friend reckons it is worth a look tomorrow eve. I am thinking it is a waste of time and best to play it safe and go up kinder. 

Many thanks for local knowledge. 

TheGeneralist 02 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

It's absolutely awesome and your friend is a god for inviting your sorry arse along.

HTH

Post edited at 20:55
 The New NickB 02 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

I run through Lee Quarry quite a bit, ice definately forms, nothing more than 3 or 4 metres in my experience.

OP The Grist 02 Mar 2018
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Ha ha.....I want to go now just to prove you wrong! 

Dan Arkle 03 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

I've also looked at this while biking, its damp, high up and north facing so has potential - maybe a bit of light engineering  is needed to turn in into the  Ouray of the Pennines! 

Rigid Raider 03 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

From the days when I used to drive my Landy around the quarry I know it's at the end of a pretty big bog so there must be lots of water draining into it at various places.

TheGeneralist 03 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

Righto.  There are about 4 icefalls on the main quarry which look to be WI3-WI5 I guess.  I'm a shit ice climber and have only done 1 route in 12 years so don't really have a clue.  There were also two nice fat shortish falls on the upper tier (and another easier one that I soloed)

I self belay shunt top roped the right hand line in the lower quarry.  It was absolutely lovely ice.  Amazinly strong and plasticky even on the weird umbrella overhang at the top.

Check out the photos on STW:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-the-icefall-in-lee-quarry-in-co...

OP The Grist 03 Mar 2018
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Got to admit the photos make it look surprisingly good and well worth a visit. I will wait for the next cold snap like this (in another 25 years).....and make sure I have a day free. 

BusyLizzie 03 Mar 2018
In reply to The Grist:

Bacup???!!! Omg I spent the first 6 years of my life there.  I thought almost no-one else had heard of it. My grandma lived in Lee Wood, round the corner from Lee Mill - is that near Lee Quarry? Memories flooding back, mill chimneys, Grandad Albert in his flat cap ...

OP The Grist 04 Mar 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Most mountain bikers have hear of Lee Quarry. They then get bored doing loops of it! Good training though. 

It has never before been renowned for its ice climbing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...