UKC

NEWS: Rainshadow (9a) for Ryan Pasquill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 May 2018
Malham Cove, 4 kbRyan Pasquill has climbed Rainshadow (9a) at Malham Cove, ending a protracted battle. He has been trying the route for several years now and came very close in 2015 after climbing through the crux and onto the headwall. Unfortunately for Ryan, he broke his ribs on a drunken escapade the same evening, putting a stop to that seasons' attempts.

Read more
 Tyler 02 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort.

> It has since had a number of ascents from the likes of Stu Littlefair, Ben Moon and Will Bosi.

....and Jordan Buys.
 Al Onsight 02 May 2018

Never even heard of him. I’m impressed that an unknown climbing climber can send a route that hard!

webbo 02 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

He is not unknown to anyone who knows anything about recent British climbing. Did you not look at the related posts at the bottom of the page. You will probably say you never heard of Hank Pasquill as well.

Post edited at 16:57
 Mark Collins 02 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Well Sleaford is a long way from Lancashire.

Michael Gordon 02 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

You could say he's been one of the 'leading lights' of hard grit in the last decade (mainly repeats in exceptional style), together with some impressive hard sport ascents.

flaneur 02 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Son of Hank Pasquil. And now you’re going to say you’ve not heard of him!

Mick Ward 02 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> Never even heard of him.

Well, that'll be his loss.

> I’m impressed that an unknown climbing climber can send a route that hard!

It's not about being known or unknown. It's about what you can do. And, even before this, he's done an awful lot.

Mick

john morrissey 02 May 2018
In reply to flaneur:

> Son of Hank Pasquil. And now you’re going to say you’ve not heard of him!

Hank.  Legend.

JackPalmieri 02 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Not unknown to most in the know and in those circles an absolute hero! Great effort Ryan!

beverooni 03 May 2018
In reply to JackPalmieri:

Yeah but what’s he done on grit?

MischaHY 03 May 2018

Better, what's he done Parisellas?  

Blake 03 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

That was a red rag to a bull Al... as is saying pretty much anything in UKC forums

Ramon Marin 03 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I wonder how 5.10 feels now for dropping him from the pro team Bloody good effort for a party animal haha I'm sure he's got 9b in him for sure

remus Global Crag Moderator 03 May 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> I'm sure he's got 9b in him for sure

Just gotta try and keep him away from too many drunk cycling escapades

JackPalmieri 03 May 2018
In reply to MischaHY:

> Better, what's he done Parisellas?  

Good question. You'd think not much as he likes climbing in nice places haha, but I've seen him dragged along to the cave by Maddie (Usually after a party the night before). They'll climb all day and he will do well as you'd expect, but then the bit that amazes me is after a full days climbing when everyone is basically finished, he can have these crazy redpoint attempts where he just doesn't let go, they almost don't make sense. 

bensilvestre 03 May 2018

Id like to counter the nice places part of your post with the many seasons he spent at raven tor

Post edited at 13:16
 simes303 03 May 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> Never even heard of him. I’m impressed that an unknown climbing climber can send a route that hard!

Unknown? I can't believe I just read that. 

Ryan has been around for years. He did the first ascent of "the hardest route on grit" according to John Dunne, amongst many, many other super impressive ascents.

sbc23 03 May 2018
 stp 03 May 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

> It's not about being known or unknown. It's about what you can do. And, even before this, he's done an awful lot.

True but usually if 'what you can do' is high standard and impressive then you'll usually make the news for at least some of it. I seem to remember that he was close to doing Steve Mac's unrepeated route, Mutation, at Raven Tor a few years back which is really impressive. But of course you don't make headlines for 'almost doing' something so unless you happen to be connected to the right grapevine most people won't hear of such things.

Don Jebus 04 May 2018
In reply to stp:

I don't think that's true, there are a fair few people who climb at a really high level who most people will never have heard of. For example Toby Saxton who's bouldered 8C/+(Monkey wedding and the Finnish line in Rocklands) and Connor Herson (who's 14) climbed 8c+ second go this year (Southern Smoke). There's plenty of underground crushers who get things done which we don't hear about. It just depends if they (or their mates) court the media about their climbs or not.

UKB Shark 04 May 2018
In reply to bensilvestre:

> Id like to counter the nice places part of your post with the many seasons he spent at raven tor

Eh? The setting is beautiful at the tor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...