UKC

CBBC : Eiger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kipper 14 May 2018
 hbeevers 14 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

How "kiddy"was it? I fancy a watch but don't think there's a need to make an ascent of the ogre childish in order to make it entertaining. I'd have loved it as a kid just from the content.

Paz 14 May 2018

Climbing the Eiger is definitely worth a Blue Peter Badge.

Phil Murray 15 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Was definitely worth a watch...... Eiger then Dolomites, in pretty hardcore conditions, even Leo was clearly suffering there! 

summo 15 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

> How "kiddy"was it? I fancy a watch but don't think there's a need to make an ascent of the ogre childish in order to make it entertaining. I'd have loved it as a kid just from the content.

Well he is usually a kids tv show presenter / programme maker. Bear Grylls does the adult mountaineering programmes. 

Mark Collins 15 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Thought this was really good, thanks for sharing. Apart from the title it didn't seem very kiddy at all  

leon 1 15 May 2018
In reply to Kipper: Ive no idea where that CBBC bit on the title comes from ? It was completely  orientated towards adults (and me). I thought it was a well put together film made in difficult conditions.  I also thought his 'fitness coach' was an interesting insight

Post edited at 08:59
In reply to Kipper:

Best lines in the programme...

Leo: Do you know what's really funny?

Steve: None of this is funny!

Rob Parsons 15 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

What was the route they did in the Tre Cime area?

Phil79 15 May 2018
In reply to summo:

> Well he is usually a kids tv show presenter / programme maker. Bear Grylls does the adult mountaineering programmes. 

I'd far rather watch Steve Backshall than Bear k**head Grylls. It would seem to me that Steve is a more authentic climber too.

Post edited at 15:35
 d_b 15 May 2018
In reply to Phil79:

I thought they did a good job of showing that it was difficult and potentially dangerous without ridiculously hyping it up.

His avoidance of bad language while having a bad time (dropping ice screws etc.) either shows remarkable self control or excellent dubbing.  I would have been swearing like a trooper and probably crying at that point.

summo 15 May 2018
In reply to Phil79:

> I'd far rather watch Steve Backshall than Bear k**head Grylls. It would seem to me that Steve is a more authentic climber too.

Of course, I was being sarcastic. Besides no one on here would admit to willingly watching bear. 

john arran 15 May 2018
In reply to summo:

> Well he is usually a kids tv show presenter / programme maker. Bear Grylls does the adult mountaineering programmes. 

Having seen both, I rather think the result is the other way around!

Dogwatch 15 May 2018

> His avoidance of bad language while having a bad time (dropping ice screws etc.) either shows remarkable self control or excellent dubbing. 

There was at least one word that should have not made it onto CBBC. I guess both the sound editor and yourself missed it but it was there alright.

It didn't annoy me as much however as Leo Houlding's use of "exponentially" to mean "a lot".

More annoying still was the pointless presence of Helen Glover.

On the whole I preferred it when British climbers didn't emote all over the place. Nice camera-work though.

Post edited at 17:58
Kipper 15 May 2018
In reply to leon 1:

> Ive no idea where that CBBC bit on the title comes from ? 

I believe that's the channel it was on.

leon 1 15 May 2018
In reply to Kipper: Yes I got that I just didnt think that the programe was in any way aimed at kids

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What was the route they did in the Tre Cime area?

Looks alot like this http://www.bergsteigen.com/klettern/venetien/dolomiten/grosse-zinne-normalw...

If you click the tab where it says 'BILDER' there's a topo that matches nicely with the one on the BBC film at 41:30. Could this be the route... Normal Route (III+) ??

Rob Parsons 15 May 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Thanks - looks like the one.

In reply to Kipper:

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ - really enjoyed that. Steve Backshall is always good in these sort of things. 

hbeevers 16 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

Watched it last night, loved it.

Really good for a CBBC show though I picked up the no-no word when he dropped the ice screw. I think Steve gave a really good and honest account for himself. Really pleased they let him talk about his frustrations on the initial ice climbing and his fear of falling as it kept the thing grounded rather than being a big edited showpiece.

Not sure why his wife got so much airtime... I thought she was climbing too for the first half of it.

WaterMonkey 16 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

> Not sure why his wife got so much airtime... I thought she was climbing too for the first half of it.

What a strange thing to say

XXXX 16 May 2018
In reply to all:

Is this suitable for a 5 year old?

d_b 16 May 2018
In reply to XXXX:

Apart from one naughty word which I missed when I watched it I can't think of anything.  I'm not sure it is suitable for an average 5 year olds attention span though.

ChrisBrooke 16 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

I reckon he says 'shoot' anyway.... 

hbeevers 16 May 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey:

They focused on her as much as Steve for the first half of the programme, I'd assumed they were both doing the climb...

If that's strange then I guess I'm strange.

smithaldo 16 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

cbeebies is for the 5 year olds. CBBC is aimed at older kids.

d_b 16 May 2018
In reply to smithaldo:

I know that.  I assumed that "suitable" in this case means "can I watch it with a 5 year old in the room?" and I reckon the answer to that is yes.

smithaldo 16 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

ha, you must be a parent then

WaterMonkey 16 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

> They focused on her as much as Steve for the first half of the programme, I'd assumed they were both doing the climb...

> If that's strange then I guess I'm strange.

Except they didn't, they explained she was his wife, an Olympic athlete and was helping him train. I don't see why she shouldn't be part of the documentary.

XXXX 16 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

That was exactly what I meant, thank you!

hbeevers 16 May 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey

You're right, she was just helping him train. Nothing wrong with her being part of the doc. She didn't need to go along on the trip with them either but it's fine that she did.

I thought it odd how much airtime she was given, as much as Leo. You have a different opinion and that's cool too.

d_b 16 May 2018
In reply to smithaldo:

Yep.  2 year old with a fascination with baking and whos favourite video in the world is "shaun the sheep black forest cake".  I know every last detail.

WaterMonkey 16 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

She's better looking than Leo so I wasn't complaining

nufkin 16 May 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey:

>  She's better looking than Leo so I wasn't complaining

I dunno, Leo has his own charms. 

As does Steve, actually, if it comes to it. The shots of him training topless probably justified paying the licence fee for a certain demographic

leon 1 27 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:   Its showing again on grown up telly - BBC 2 tonight at 8pm

Dr.S at work 30 May 2018
In reply to leon 1:

I really enjoyed that, seemed pretty honest and good to show sensible decision making.

Martin W 30 May 2018
In reply to leon 1:

It was also shown on BBC2 on Sunday night at 8pm.

I haven't watched it yet but it sounds like an extended version of one of Noakes' adventures for Blue Peter/Go With Noakes.  If that's the case then it sounds like perfectly good CBBC material.    (And any content that allows that channel to be be more than just wall-to-wall "down wiv da kids"/celebrity pop culture - which is what the channels from other broadcasters aimed at the same demographic seem to be - can only be good thing IMO.)

Post edited at 09:09
 The New NickB 30 May 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

> In reply to WaterMonkey

> You're right, she was just helping him train. Nothing wrong with her being part of the doc. She didn't need to go along on the trip with them either but it's fine that she did.

> I thought it odd how much airtime she was given, as much as Leo. You have a different opinion and that's cool too.

I've just watched it. It's nearly an hour long, she was in it quite a lot in the first 15 minutes before the climbing started, then a little bit after that. Leo wasn't in the first 10 minutes, but was in it a lot for the remainder of the show. If I had the opportunity to do this and share some of it with my other half, I would. I thought the balance was fine.

Ed Saint 30 May 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Thanks for posting - I thought the show was excellent. A great story, well told by all and with excellent visuals. Good to have H Glover in it too, I thought. She added a different perspective that you don't often get in these shows, and she's more than qualified to talk about modern fitness and conditioning.

I wonder what Scottish winter grade the standard route on Cima Grande goes at in those conditions??

nicodemus3d 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Enjoyed it a lot.

Jim 1003 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it very good, It was the normal route on the Cima Grande which I've done, so it was nice to see the film.

swifty 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Great watch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...