UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Mina Leslie-Wujastyk TEDx Talk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Jun 2018
Mina Leslie-Wujastyk TEDx, 4 kbThis week's Friday Night Video is a TEDx talk featuring none other than Mina Leslie-Wujastyk. Using climbing as her narrative, Mina explores the ideas of determination, dealing with adversity and achieving big goals. Mina has been attempting Rainshadow (9a) at Malham for the past couple of years and whilst she has invested a huge amount of time and energy in trying her project, it hasn't been plain sailing. 

Read more
 Andy Hardy 15 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

"!You need to accept marketing cookies to view this content - Change Consent"

Or go to youtube. Which is what I'll do from now on

GravitySucks 15 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Looking forward to 'Sharks' follow up Ted Talk

stp 16 Jun 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

That's hilarious. One of the funniest comments I've read in a while.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Do you realise by going to YouTube you are accepting the same thing? They just don't tell you about it.

In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Indeed, I expect YouTube are attempting to glean even more data by less obvious means

Andy Gamisou 21 Jun 2018

> Do you realise by going to YouTube you are accepting the same thing? They just don't tell you about it.

There you go - always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Andy Hardy 21 Jun 2018

Why do you need to collect marketing data from me, via content that is labelled news? Or flip that round, why label something as news when it's not? Funnily enough I can watch videos in gear reviews, which are broadly speaking marketing, without accepting marketing cookies.

Whilst your at it, what marketing data do your advertisers really need? I'm registered on here so I am interested in all sorts of outdoor kit. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Why do you need to collect marketing data from me, via content that is labelled news? Or flip that round, why label something as news when it's not? Funnily enough I can watch videos in gear reviews, which are broadly speaking marketing, without accepting marketing cookies.

> Whilst your at it, what marketing data do your advertisers really need? I'm registered on here so I am interested in all sorts of outdoor kit. 

This is all connected to GDPR. Basically we aren't doing anything different from what we were doing before and UKC Limited is not really collecting any marketing data from you. 

If you watch videos on YouTube through our site then we think we are obliged to let you know that YouTube will be collecting marketing data through cookies. These are YouTube cookies which will be placed if you watch the video directly on YouTube anyway. I agree that it is odd that YouTube don't seem to think they need to tell you this although who knows what  you may have agreed to when you registered with your Google account.

What we do is explained here - https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2018/05/gdpr_-_what_have_we_done-71596

Alan

UKB Shark 21 Jun 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

> Looking forward to 'Sharks' follow up Ted Talk

You bugger. I thought that meant I’d been name checked. That’s 17 minutes of my life I won’t get back 

(Just kidding Mina)

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> There you go - always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Is that a Zuckerberg quote?

GravitySucks 21 Jun 2018
In reply to UKB and BMC Shark:

Hey Simon,

When you eventually 'slay the dragon', it will make a brilliant Ted Talk / Article / Book / Film (franchise).

The stats alone will make interesting reading, I hope you are recording everything !

Fingers crossed.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Why do you need to collect marketing data from me, via content that is labelled news? Or flip that round, why label something as news when it's not? Funnily enough I can watch videos in gear reviews, which are broadly speaking marketing, without accepting marketing cookies.

As Alan has already mentioned. It's not UKC collecting it. It's YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. whenever we embed some of their content. After GDPR came into force we need to let you know that these companies will be tracking that you've viewed the content via cookies.

Can you send me a link to the video in gear review not showing the warning please?

> Whilst your at it, what marketing data do your advertisers really need? I'm registered on here so I am interested in all sorts of outdoor kit.

As above, it really has nothing to do with our advertisers. With the exception of some Cotswold ads (usually only ran over Xmas) none of them use tracking cookies. We use our own ads management system that just tracks impressions and clicks, not where people have been or are going to go.

Post edited at 10:15
 afx22 21 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Superb, engaging presenting skills from Mina.  Well worth watching.

Anyway, carry on...

Michael Gordon 21 Jun 2018
In reply to afx22:

Yes, a very well executed talk! She could have a future career in motivational speaking...

HP 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Michael Gordon:

No talk of fear of failure- I wonder if this is part of the inner ego that can’t be revealed. 

Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2018

> Is that a Zuckerberg quote?

More a Zuckerberg philosophy, I suspect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...