UKC

Hemp or responsibly sourced chalk bag/bucket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm trying to find out where I can buy either a hemp or a upcycled chalk bag or bucket, preferably hemp though.

I'm trying to be a bit more responsible (environmentally) in my approach to climbing and I know Prana used to do a hemp chalk bag, but it's been discontinued. So any help with this or any gear that can be responsibly sourced would be hugely appreciated.

Jeremy

Sean_J 27 Jul 2018
In reply to stonemonkeylives:

Rather than manufacture a trendy new one from hemp (or any other material), not to mention transportation and retail considerations, it would be far more environmentally conscious and energy efficient to make one from some old material. Most climbers seem to own some scuzzy old clothes full of holes, why not put some effort in and make one from some of those? Plus, making stuff is fun!

ashtond6 27 Jul 2018

Also, id imagine a chalk bag that lasts 3/4 years isn't your worst footprint, by some way

Andypeak 27 Jul 2018

Or you could just get a second hand one on ebay 

marsbar 27 Jul 2018

Mine is made from the leg of an old pair of jeans and lined with the arm of an old fleece top.  

Apparently it's called upcycling these days.  It was just making what you need from what you've got.  

<insert Monty Python 3 Yorkshire men sketch here>

Jon Greengrass 27 Jul 2018

be environmentally responsible and don't use chalk.

Jim 1003 27 Jul 2018

> Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm trying to find out where I can buy either a hemp or a upcycled chalk bag or bucket, preferably hemp though.

> I'm trying to be a bit more responsible (environmentally) in my approach to climbing and I know Prana used to do a hemp chalk bag, but it's been discontinued. So any help with this or any gear that can be responsibly sourced would be hugely appreciated.

> Jeremy

Using chalk is definitely not environmentally responsible.

galpinos 27 Jul 2018

Organic chalk bags are made from of cuts of their bouldering pads. However:

• They're shipped from the states (carbon footprint)
  • Chalk is very environmentally unfriendly
  • My chalk bags are all over 10 years old and are only replaced when they get lost, it's not as if they wear out, so not exactly a large footprint item
  • If you want to be responsible, just make one?
 galpinos 27 Jul 2018
In reply to ashtond6:

3/4 years? What do you do to them? Mine last until they get lost, so generally a minimum of 10 years.

mark s 27 Jul 2018

driving to the crag and putting white dust all over the rock maybe somewhere to start your campaign

Rigid Raider 27 Jul 2018

I view chalk as something like flouro jackets and lanyards - a "badge" of authenticity and a modern juju against harm.

net 27 Jul 2018

Here you go; these are all made from recycled rope https://dirtbagsclimbing.co.uk/shop and hand made in the Lake District.

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to galpinos:

> Chalk is very environmentally unfriendly

On a scale of actual environmental unfriendliness (e.g. actual harm), I very much doubt it!

galpinos 27 Jul 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Magnesite mines are pretty grim places and it's all shipped over from China, processed (probably in the states) then shipped here. So, for a pretty small item it probably has a higher enviromental footprint, more so than a DMM chalkbag that'll last 20 off years, whatever it's made of.

I agree, in the grand scheme of things it's small beer, but it's has a lot more impact than the chalkbag the OP is fretting about.

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to galpinos:

Everything has impact, as does you using the internet to reply to this post.

https://climatecare.org/infographic-the-carbon-footprint-of-the-internet/

It's all about priorities.

GrahamD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Its a first post from a new poster.  I suspect (and apologies if I'm wrong) that this post is a bit of marketing.

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to galpinos:

But nice article here:

https://www.climbing.com/gear/the-hidden-environmental-cost-of-climbing-cha...

My comment was mainly focused on end use, not production.

GridNorth 27 Jul 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

The cynical side of me says this is more to do with "Virtue signalling" than saving the environment but then I feel a pang of guilt and think if everyone did this it would help, then I go back to thinking if every climber in the world did this it would not make an iota of difference so I'm leaving it at that 

Al

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Registered Oct 2017, so not that new. 

J1234 27 Jul 2018

Fly to India, and go to Hampi, I bet you can get one there.

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

Exactly.

Worries/frets what chalk bag is made of, then gets in car and drives to climbing venue.

slab_happy 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

> Plus, making stuff is fun!

Got zero opinion on the environmental issues here, but I can second this bit.

Given some basic sewing skills, chalkbags are a fairly easy project, and since they're small, it's easy to make them out of bits of fabric (and velcro, webbing, etc.) salvaged from worn out clothes. Or if you're feeling really flush, you could splash out on some remnants from a fabric shop -- one of my better expenditures was a fiver on a discontinued sample book from an upholstery shop, which I'm still working my way through.

One chalkbag started as a moth-eaten sweater -- I boiled it in the washing-machine until it turned into felt, then used that.

Like any other pastime, it's not going to be everyone's idea of fun, but if you like the idea of upcycling things or making your own, it's very do-able.

ChrisJD 27 Jul 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

And to be fair to the OP.

1st paragraph, great, thumbs up.

2nd paragraph, defo a bit of unnecessary virtue signalling.

Rigid Raider 27 Jul 2018

Bring back hemp ropes and waistlines, I say. 

krikoman 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Bring back hemp ropes and waistlines, I say. 

You can stick you're hemp rope, I wouldn't mind waistlines coming back though.

krikoman 27 Jul 2018
In reply to slab_happy:

> Got zero opinion on the environmental issues here, but I can second this bit.

Except don't use chalk in the first place, then there's no need for a bag

"aid on every move", I believe someone once said.

Post edited at 16:20
 Sean_J 27 Jul 2018

In reply to abbykingsley26:

> Before, I was also often interested where can I find top equipment for outdoor activities ( https://gearexpertguides.com/ was very informative). I used to surf the internet a lot. Very helpful were some reviews and videos.  I found tourist equipment online shops links under of them.

Hello bot

toad 27 Jul 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> You can stick you're hemp rope, I wouldn't mind waistlines coming back though.

Mine already has

Removed User 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

There's always colophane; or'pof' as the Bleausards call it........

Ignore the nay sayers on here......

cragtyke 28 Jul 2018

I used to go to the wall at rothwell with a guy who made one out of a Cadbury's Marvel tin, he was known as Mad Nige though.

In reply to Sean_J:

Firstly, this isn't a marketing post and I am not a bot. I do however want to be a little more environmentally conscious about my approach to climbing. Do I think what I do will singlehandedly save the world? No, of course not but I can make little changes in my approach to climbing that can help lessen the impact, even by a small amount. 

I know use of chalk isn't great for rocks, that's why I try my best to clean off as much chalk as I can. I know chalk bags can last an age, but I have lost mine and I trying to replace it with something a little more eco-friendly than a nylon chalk bag.

So to those who made constructive comments about looking to upcycle old materials into a new chalk bag, thank you, I will look into it. 

For those who made pointless comments, be proud of yourselves. At least you know that in your tiny lives, you can make a half decent attempt at trolling.

Good day to you all,

Jeremy

d_b 28 Jul 2018

Bless!

In reply to d_b:

Thanks. 

Post edited at 11:06
 Siward 29 Jul 2018

Why not just surreptitiously dip your fingers into somebody else's chalkbag while they're not looking? 

Timmd 30 Jul 2018

I know (of) the lady who makes these, and she makes everything from old climbing gear handed in at climbing walls on her sewing machine. They're very expensive for chalkbags, but they're wholly made from old climbing gear.

https://madebyscavenger.com/collections/vert-chalk-bag

I'd probably just buy a second hand one from ebay if it was me, they are stylish though.  

Edit: 10 out of 10 for wanting to do the right thing. 

Post edited at 02:07
 Timmd 30 Jul 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

> The cynical side of me says this is more to do with "Virtue signalling" than saving the environment but then I feel a pang of guilt and think if everyone did this it would help, then I go back to thinking if every climber in the world did this it would not make an iota of difference so I'm leaving it at that 

> Al

One person's 'virtue signalling' can be another person's positive action (by intention) it sometimes seems to me.

Timmd 30 Jul 2018

https://madebyscavenger.com/collections/all-products

You can see all products here.

In reply to Timmd:

Thank you, I will have a look.

Jeremy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...