UKC

Wild Country Helium Friend Trigger repair kit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 16 Aug 2018

Hmmm, it seems WC no longer sell trigger repair kits for their older models of cam. I've got a WC Helium Friend 3.5 and wondered if anybody knows of an alternative trigger repair kit that will fit it?

In reply to Mr. Lee:

I couldn't source BD trigger kits for Camalots, at the time. Retrofitted WC trigger kits, no problems.

Could you try the opposite or do BD no longer supply them?

Is it the trigger or wire that's broken?

Stuart

OP Mr. Lee 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Thanks, sounds worth a try. Sorry yes I should have said it's just one of the cables. The BD cables look a similar design, so imagine they should be fine providing the total cable length isn't too short. I can probably 'make' the pins fit through the cam heads if they are too tight. Think I'll pop down my local shop with a tape measure to measure some cables.

Andy Manthorpe 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I've just repaired a cam with plastic strimmer cable as shown here

http://www.kakibusok.plus.com/Equipment/RewireCams1/Rewire1.htm

It seem to work fine.

Andy

In reply to Mr. Lee:

I've done cable replacements with strimmer cable ( 2 different thicknesses - orange, pale blue) & others with heavy Ethibond (suture material used for tendon repairs & in hip replacement). Easily done, & all still functioning over a year later

OP Mr. Lee 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

For anybody else in the same position the BD cables don't fit old WCs. The WC cam heads are wider meaning there's not enough surplice wire to bend at the cam heads to hold the wires in place. Also, the link between the cable and wire interferes with the cam head function. Looks like I either have to bodge it but a new cam.

On a separate note it seems a pity that WC no longer supply parts for a four year old cam and don't offer any sort of maintenance service grumble grumble.

Martin Bennett 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I just use "piano"wire. B&Q sell it very cheaply. Buy the correct gauge to just fit the holes in the cams and it lasts for ever. Only downside is it can become a bit distorted whilst rattling about in your rucksack but it's the matter of a moment to straighten it again.

Edit - just noticed you have Helium Friends. mine are the older Technical Friends so I can't say for sure simple replacement with wire is appropriate as I've never seen 'em up close.

Post edited at 18:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...