UKC

Hong Kong climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trish1968 19 Jul 2019

I'm working in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks in september. I would love a days climbing whilst I'm there. Can anyone recommend a instructor I could hire? or a club or group who wouldn't mind me spending the day with them tying in on the end of their ropes.

Also where would you recommend to go if you just had 1 days climbing there? I only climb easyish routes but do love mountain climbs as well as cragging.

Cheers

Trish

ClimberEd 19 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

With google all will be revealed.....  

https://hongkongclimbing.com/

(I used to live there and can vouch for this site)

OP trish1968 19 Jul 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

Thanks yep I've been googling it. Is there anywhere you'd recommend as I only have 1 day and don't want to be stuck in a crappy quarry I want the full experience

Jon Read 19 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

Lion Rock would be the choice pick (never managed it myself), but a day trip out to Tung Lung with boats and breakfast on the island was very memorable for me (despite my camera lens packing up in the heat). You'll need partners though.

rpc 22 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

We were in a similar boat - had an 18 hour layover in HK & went for Lion Rock (Gweilo to Wards Grooves; fully bolted BTW).  Nice position high above the city with monkey encounters on the descent hike.  Pretty good climbing on some greasy granite.  Don't miss the dim sum - that was to die for.

toad 22 Jul 2019
In reply to rpc:

Don't miss the dim sum - that was to die for.

As currently is democracy

apache 29 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

Hi Trish,

There are a bunch of bouldering/ climbing walls in HK, probably busy if KL and Singapore are anything to go by - if you're looking for an afternoon's activity then one of the walls might suit you

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/5-indoor-climbing-walls-monkey-around-thr....

Gordon.

p.s. I'm up in HK at the start of each month so if you're still around and want to boulder/climb indoors then drop me a message.

OP trish1968 29 Jul 2019
In reply to apache:

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the reply I was after climbing outside but I've decided to just go site seeing after talking to people I think it will be too crowded for me.

Cheers

Trish

mbh 29 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

You could take the metro then bus out to Sai Kung Country Park, walk up Sharp Peak, then down to Ham Tin beach and speed boat back to Sai Kung.

mbh 29 Jul 2019
In reply to trish1968:

If that walk appeals, if you're not going climbing, more detail: We caught the MTR to Hang Hau, then bus to Sai Kung, then another bus to Pak Tam Au in Sai Kung Country Park East. From there it was a 5.8 mile sweaty hike via Sharp Peak to the beaches at Ham Tin, where there were welcome cafes, shade and cold drinks. The speed boat ride back to Sai Kung was terrific fun, and very scenic, and Sai Kung itself was very interesting, with lots of local fishermen selling their catches along the pier.

The buses and trains are frequent and cheap.

I did it in April and could barely walk another step when I got to the beaches. Which of the heat, the humidity or the jet lag contributed most to that I don't know, but I guess it is even hotter now! Take loads of water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...