UKC

Climbing harness for 2 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ruthonbike 05 Aug 2019

I'm trying to find a climbing harness that will fit my 2 year old. Waist of 48cm, torso 29cm, legs 26cm. Best I can find is Black diamond momentum full body harness but still not small enough.

Was hoping to do a bit of abseilling off trees etc, nothing major. Has anyone got a diagram for making a safe full-body harness out of slings if I can't get hold of harness?

HeMa 05 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

I wouldn't rig a kids fullbody harness out of slings... separate upper harnesses have been known to suffocate even adults, so riggin' one for kids is a no-go.

That said, we have managed to sort of get you 2 year old (and also the 3.5 year old, but small kid) on the Salewa full body harness: https://www.salewa.com/rookie-full-body-harness-00-0000001748?c=516677

krikoman 05 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

> Was hoping to do a bit of abseilling off trees etc, nothing major.

Why?

krikoman 05 Aug 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> That said, we have managed to sort of get you 2 year old (and also the 3.5 year old, but small kid) on the Salewa full body harness: https://www.salewa.com/rookie-full-body-harness-00-0000001748?c=516677

With Ice screw and chalk bag attachment

HeMa 05 Aug 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Yup. 

Or bad copy-paste mistake

cb294 05 Aug 2019
In reply to HeMa:

I was always happy with rigging a full body harness for my children. Just make sure the slings cannot slide under load.

After all, you are not normally trying to stop a lead fall! I was usually "belaying" them up stuff I had just soloed, and then lowered them again.

Once the children were a bit older we switched to proper seat harnesses, initially also with a shoulder loop rigged from a sling to prevent them from toppling backwards, as otherwise the harness would have to be pulled uncomfortably tight.

CB

climbwhenready 05 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

Edelrid Fraggle XXS. Ours loves his! He's 3 now but we got it when he was 2; it was the smallest we could find so we could get one he would fit. Waist 45-55 so should be OK for you.

OP ruthonbike 05 Aug 2019
In reply to krikoman:

for fun!

In reply to climbwhenready:

I checked that one out but it was officially too big:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-685/Fraggle-II-Harness

In question and answer section:

XXS Chest: 30-40 cm Leg loop max: 36 cm

XS Chest: 40-55 cm Leg loop max: 50 cm

...though what the chest measurement means is also confusing.

He's a dinky 2 as well.

I think we are going to have to try that harness on in the flesh to make sure of the fit.

In reply to HeMa:

Hi there, thanks for the advice. 

Nice harness but the torso on that is 38-52 cm -- 9cm out.

PaulJepson 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

Petzl Ouistiti are good.

HeMa 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

The harness can go a tad smaller than the specs indicate... but that being said testing the harness is adviced.

graeme jackson 06 Aug 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Petzl Ouistiti are good.

We used an Ouistiti for our kids when they were very young. Think my youngest was 2 3/4 at the time.  Fit great and felt really secure.

krikoman 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

> for fun!

For who?  Because at 2 a simple raspberry on the belly is fun for them, and you don't need a harness for that

Gavin 07 Aug 2019
In reply to climbwhenready:

The Edelrid Fraggle is the smallest small body harness I have had experience of using (based on experience of Edelrid, Petzl and DMM kids body harnesses).

OP ruthonbike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Not when your 4 year old sister has just had a go and you are seen longingly looking up in the tree. He accepted he wasn't going up in the end but it was a sad face.  This 2 year old can already jump well on a trampoline and off a step unaided and is a very motivated climber on a climbing wall for as long as his attention span lasts.

OP ruthonbike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Gavin:

Cool, thanks for that summary

OP ruthonbike 30 Aug 2019

Well, thought you might like to know... I purchased an Elredid XXs after recommendations on this thread, and it fits perfectly! He is only just 2 -- and a small 2 at that -- I am thoroughly pleased. Thank you all!

LastBoyScout 30 Aug 2019
In reply to ruthonbike:

Good stuff.

Have just seen this thread, but the Singing Rock Kid full body harness also goes smaller (within reason) than it's 110-140cm height range suggests. Think my daughter was in that at about 3, and she's a small 3 - also up a tree in the garden (I'd been lopping some branches).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...