UKC

Help finding a guide!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DJMowle 14 Dec 2019

I'm off to Germany with work in a new year and have found a crag just over an hour away. I've found the guide book needed for the area but it only seems to be in German, can anyone help me out here?

The book is called "Hoch im Norden"

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/books/hoch_im_norden-1834

Luërdisser klippen#guidebooks

Thanks

Post edited at 11:57
 EwanR 14 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

What do you need help with? 

Unsurprisingly climbing guides for Germany are written in German and not even the keenest UK shop is going to stock them.

Panico deliver worldwide and according to https://www.panico.de/lieferung it'll cost 8€ to the UK as the book weighs 845g. 

oldie 14 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

One topo of a few climbs here:   https://ig-klettern-niedersachsen.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ith-lue-03-...

A little general info (which you probably have) on the Climbing Away website.

I find natives climbers are often able to speak the tongue of the English master race and are very helpful.  

OP DJMowle 14 Dec 2019
In reply to EwanR:

Thanks for the help mate!

Ive climbed in Southern Germany last year and the guide book i had was written in both English and German but the guide book i've found for the area i want to climb in is only written in German.

craig h 14 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

Sounds like you need to hire a translator, or purchase a German phrase book as well. Plenty of translation Apps too.

OP DJMowle 14 Dec 2019
In reply to craig h:

Just tried some photo translation Apps which work alright . Whats the worst that can happen haha.

McHeath 14 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

You'll be fine with that guide, you'll soon learn the important words; Keile = wires and Löcher = pockets for a start . And you've picked a good base; the Ith isn't "a crag", it's 112 of them in a beautiful setting with 1400 routes!

Post edited at 20:14
 TheGeneralist 14 Dec 2019
In reply to EwanR:

> Unsurprisingly climbing guides for Germany are written in German and not even the keenest UK shop is going to stock them.

Popycock

John Ww 14 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

I’ve got some awful news for you - it’s probably the worst guidebook in the world! Rockfax it is not Despite the fact that my g/f is born, bred, and lives in the area, with the exception of the Ith and Brunkinsen, the rest are either utter shite, unfindable, fluorescent or suicidal. Speaking of which, unless you climb at least in the 7’s, take a clipstick and an enormous pair of bollocks - you’ll need them!

Post edited at 22:00
 nniff 16 Dec 2019
In reply to John Ww:

But, the Ith etc is lovely and it's not exactly hard to find your way around.  Not sure how long the OP is going to be in the area - it's a bit nippy in the winter

MischaHY 16 Dec 2019
In reply to DJMowle:

Wow. All I can say is good effort finding crags that far north! Thankfully I live in the gently sloping Swabian Alb where there are decent crags. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...