UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Sport Climbing in Thakhek – South East Asia's best sport climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Feb 2020

Matt Cooke on Relapse (8a) with the stunning backdrop of Pha Tam Kam valleySince the Democratic Republic of Laos opened its borders to tourism in the mid '90s, and first route development in 2010, Thakhek is a relatively new destination and is fast becoming one of the top sport climbing venues in South East Asia. The range and quality of lines, coupled with the warm climate, low cost, and the breathtaking scenery - it's easy to see why climbers come to Thakhek and find it hard to leave.

Read more

CliftonS1 12 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

This article is so fascinating, i am looking forward to have the best time in climbing sports!

Neston Climber 13 Feb 2020

We love Green Climbers Home (GCH), it's such a relaxed place to be, full of like minded people, great food and amazing climbing. We haven't been since the change of management but I'm sure it will continue to thrive, and many more routes will be put up.

sgiand 15 Feb 2020

Ever heard the phrases "global warming" or "climate emergency"?

Perhaps it might be better in the context of the above not to recommend destinations involving long haul flights just to go cragging?

Robert Durran 16 Feb 2020
In reply to sgiand:

> Perhaps it might be better in the context of the above not to recommend destinations involving long haul flights just to go cragging?

Are other types of climbing and mountaineering ok? 

James Oswald 20 Feb 2020

I went to ThakHek about 6 years ago. I was really impressed by the place. Lots of very Good climbing in a small area and very friendly. Good conditions too - hot but there was lots of shade and not as humid as Thailand.

Neston Climber 11 Mar 2020
In reply to sgiand:

You do make a very good point Sgiand - and I would not want to encourage people to fly there in a whim for a short cragging trip. I would recommend this venue if anyone is looking to climb as part of a longer trip, to experience the culture and food of this amazing part of the world. Unless you are in a rush I would certainly recommend taking the overnight bus to Nakhon Phanom (VIP business class seats almost lie flat) rather than the flight from Bangkok. You can also see that the local staff are paid a fair wage and are happy to work there and that tourist money is an important income stream for the town, enabling its facilities to improve. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...