UKC

PRESS RELEASE: Parthian Climbing: a new 25,000 sq ft Climbing Centre for Southampton in 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Nov 2020
Parthian Climbing Southampton

Construction is underway in the city of Southampton for a new state-of-the-art indoor climbing centre offering 25,000 square feet of world-class climbing. As its centrepiece Parthian Climbing Southampton will house a carbon copy of the Olympic bouldering wall that will feature at the 2021 Tokyo Games. This will be the only wall of its kind in Europe ahead of next Summer's Olympics.

Read more
 Sean Kelly 10 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Wow, that looks nails with all those blank walls. The holds must be incredibly small as I just can't make them out!

TheGeneralist 10 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

AHA, at last.  I've been wondering for years when MCC were going to sort their shit out and get a brand.  Much as I despise marketing bullshit, it was so obvious that they needed to change from three seemingly unrelated brands into one decent brand that people might recognise. Like, to take the obvious examples "Awesome" and Depot.

And now indeed after years of losing ground to them, they have named it......

How beautifully apt.

Post edited at 20:04
In reply to UKC Gear:

The move towards standardisation is interesting. I am not sure how replicas of Olympic problems relate to the core customer base though. I fear this could become a pretty feature to state at and say "wow". 

Arms Cliff 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> The move towards standardisation is interesting. I am not sure how replicas of Olympic problems relate to the core customer base though. I fear this could become a pretty feature to state at and say "wow". 

There won’t be copies of the problems they will be climbing at the Olympics (that would sort of defy the point of the bouldering comp!), they will just have panels that are the same design as those appearing in the Olympics. Nothing to stop these being covered in easier problems alongside some comp style problems. 

mrmann007 11 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Having had a go on the speed wall at Warwick, I will pleased to have a speed wall closer to home. I was no way near to any sort of competition time, but it's surprisingly good fun!

john arran 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> There won’t be copies of the problems they will be climbing at the Olympics (that would sort of defy the point of the bouldering comp!), they will just have panels that are the same design as those appearing in the Olympics.

Weirdly, in about 1987 I wrote a fiction short story set in a future competition world, which was all onsight with no knowledge of particular holds or moves but the configuration of the wall was released some months in advance so that climbers could have their walls reconfigured the same way and train on the same angles and height.

In reply to UKC Gear:

What area is that in Jucharts? Or Marraba? Maybe we should start quoting in Oxgangs?

I presume it's going to be around 43.47 Girah's high, which seems reasonable.

Oceanrower 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Square feet is standard for commercial properties.

In reply to Oceanrower:

£10 per sq ft sounds so much cheaper than £107 per sq m

In reply to Oceanrower:

Great, I'm sure 0.2% of young climbers work in commercial property

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...