UKC

Running windproof recommendation needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 01 Feb 2021

As I lost some weight, I am in the market of a new wind shell for hill and trail running. I think my ideal jacket would be a hybrid between Arcteryx Squamish (too baggy sleeves) and Montane Featherlite (no hood). 

Must haves would be:

• Lightweight, but made out of fabric rather than plastic (so no Pertex type). No more then 150g, let’s say. 
  • Must have a hood that can be cinched down. 
  • Packs to its own pocket. 
  • Slim sleeves with elastic rather than velcro. Not too bothered about thumb loops but a running watch hole would be great (not many around...).
  • Chest pocket would be nice. 
  • Bright and cheerful. 

Any recommendations? 

LucaC 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I've done all my winter running this year in a Patagonia Houdini and it does the job for me.

Marek 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

> Lightweight, but made out of fabric rather than plastic (so no Pertex type)...

Not sure what you mean by this. Unless you go for cotton or wool, most fabrics are plastic of one sort or another. What is it about Pertex that you object to?

steelbru 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

Not sure there's any in this list that meets all of your criteria, but may give you some ideas if you've not seen it already :-

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-superlight-sh...

kathrync 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Marek:

> Not sure what you mean by this. Unless you go for cotton or wool, most fabrics are plastic of one sort or another. What is it about Pertex that you object to?

That's what I was wondering too.

I have done most of my winter running in an OMM Kamleika. I also have a Montane Featherlite, which will get more use as it warms up again.

r0b 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

Mountain Equipment Aerofoil sounds like it meets most of your criteria. Light, bit stretchy, fairly soft feel fabric, has a hood. I've got the half zip version but that doesn't seem available any more

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/aerofoil-full-zip-jacket

OP PPP 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Marek:

Sorry, I wasn’t sure what it’s called exactly. I’m after stretchy woven fabric rather than that shiny, sticky-feeling plastic. 

A lot of wind shells have that plasticky backing that sticks to the skin, feels colder and does not breathe as well. 

Perhaps two photos will help. 

wbo2 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP: Adidas Agravic 3L.  I'm not altogether convinced by a lot of the super light jackets for everyday running. I want something that can take regular washing, and I also like them a little bit longer in the backside - some of the multipurpose mountain lightweight jackets are too short i.m.o,

neuromancer 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

So all of the superlight windproofs - i.e. that are actually wind proof, are some form of similar-to-pertex fabric. Some are more breathable than others - e.g. the Houdini Air is about 4 times as CFM breathable as the normal Houdini. Montane featherlites and the like are all 'windproof'.

What you seem to want is a thin softshell. Which are more 'wind resistant' than 'windproof'.

Good options include the ME Aerofoil, Rab Borealis, Arcteryx Squamish etc. If you want close-fitting sleeves, then I can say my Borealis (I had the pull on), is ideal for this. The hoods are all lycra bound so good when on if you zip the jacket up - and neither according to the website does the ME jacket. They're for mixed, windy but not very wet weather. Which, frankly, if you're running, is fine. You're gonna get damp anyway, because sweat. Mine doesn't actually have a DWR, but the modern ones seem to. Which is fine except that you're gonna strip the dwr washing the sweat out of it a few times a week.

Post edited at 10:25
 Marek 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

Ah OK - woven rather than membrane. Funnily, simple Pertex *is* just a woven fabric with no membrane (so not particularly 'sticky') but some manufacturer seem to think adding a membrane to boost it's waterproofness is a good idea. I beg to differ. Simple uncoated Pertex is great for a running outer layer (done plenty of foul weather mountain marathons and ultras with just that). The only issue I have with it is that it's so light it flaps in wind, so it need to be well-fitted (particularly round the arms/shoulder) to avoid that annoyance. 

timjones 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

> Sorry, I wasn’t sure what it’s called exactly. I’m after stretchy woven fabric rather than that shiny, sticky-feeling plastic. 

> A lot of wind shells have that plasticky backing that sticks to the skin, feels colder and does not breathe as well. 

> Perhaps two photos will help. 

I'm still using an original Buffalo windshirt which is pertex with no plastic backing.

Once you start looking for stetchy fabrics I suspect that the weight is likely to be significantly higher if you want it to last.

If you want the ultimate in lightweight windproofs parachute silk seems to take some beating.

cousin nick 01 Feb 2021
In reply to timjones:

I was going to mention a Buffalo windshirt too - mine is now 26 years old!

I have an OMM Kamleika for when its moist.

N

Tom Briggs 01 Feb 2021
In reply to r0b:

> Mountain Equipment Aerofoil sounds like it meets most of your criteria. Light, bit stretchy, fairly soft feel fabric, has a hood. I've got the half zip version but that doesn't seem available any more

I've not got that one but if ME made a simple windproof from the Helium AP outer fabric on their Kenesis jacket it would be amazing. It's incredibly breathable and absolutely not the plastic bag feel of some lightweight wind shells. Not 100% windproof, but I really rate the Kenesis jacket and have run in it when it's been -0C or colder.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-jackets/products/kine...  

Pipecleaner 01 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

What LucaC said...Patagonia Houdini is great for running in. 

I had an ME aerofoil that I managed to loose. Loved the smock style as no zip to engage when your hands are frozen.  The hood on it was rubbish in the wind unless you have a helmet on tho.

The Houdini is super light and small. Protective and the hood is great on a helmet or a head.   

​​​​​Patagonia nano air hybrid for really horrible runs...Houdini on top of it's worse.  

That said I rarely seem to need more than a long sleeve top plus a t-shirt and windproof gilet on top for winter running.  

I've got an ME kinesis but for running it's not as breathable as a nano air light but also not as warm as a nano air light plus Houdini.

Hope this helps...and I have no affiliation to Patagonia...they just make some great bits of kit. 

alexm198 01 Feb 2021
In reply to LucaC:

Second this, the Houdini is really versatile. Ticks all OP's boxes, too.

Jim Lancs 01 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

I've got one of these.

The right material and breathability, but might be less compact than you want.

But superb if you think you're going to need it on all day.

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-wind-shells/products/mens-hiking...?

johnt 01 Feb 2021
In reply to LucaC: What is the sizing and fit like on the Houdini jacket ?

99ster 05 Feb 2021
In reply to johnt:

Arcteryx Incendo.

neuromancer 05 Feb 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Interestingly, I happened to google the outdoorgearlab reviews and realise that they're a bunch of shysters.

In the 'Running Jackets' review, the Arcteryx Norvan SL (a shakedry jacket), was more breathable (9/10) than a Patagonia Houdini (5/10) (a breathable windproof. In the 'Windproof Jackets' review, the same Houdini is 9/10, simply because it wasn't competing against anyone paying them a fat referral fee.

Wankers.

LucaC 05 Feb 2021
In reply to johnt:

Pretty standard Patagonia fit. I take small in most things, including this. 

afx22 05 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I have quite a few windproof jackets for running, hiking and mountain biking.  My favourite is the Squamish.  I also have an Incendo Hoody.  It’s even more breathable but the fit it too tight around the chest.  I’m barrel chested though.  If they fit, then they’re brilliant.

I’ve tried on the Houdini but seem to be halfway between a small and a medium.

I have a variety of other ones that are disappointing - either not so breathable, clammy or over complex.

I have a Rab Zephyr (like a Borealis) that is superb for climbing in but it’s too heavy and baggy for running.

In reply to PPP:

I have been using the Rab Momentum for the last year, I think it's great as it keeps the wind off but I don't overheat like I used to in a standard windproof. 

I also have the Borealis pull on which sounds like it matches more of your criteria, I find I use the momentum more often for running though as it has more venting and I don't miss the hood because I usually have a buff with me when it's cold/windy.

cathsullivan 06 Feb 2021
In reply to LucaC:

> I've done all my winter running this year in a Patagonia Houdini and it does the job for me.

I just got one of these last Autumn and have been running in it quite a lot since. Best windproof I've ever had. Ticks all the OP's boxes except (I think) being able to cinch or fold away the hood. I think if I wanted to stow the hood I'd just tuck it down the back. Have done that a few times with the Alpine Houdini that I use for climbing. Flapping hood bothers me a but when leading bit not when running.

Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...