UKC

Lightweight 1 person, 3 season tents for tall prople

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Harry 24 May 2021

Hi tent-lovers

I’m moving to a lightweight setup. When it comes to lightweight tents, internal size seems to be a compromise to keep weight down. 

I’m 188cm tall. What length tent do you think it’s possible to sleep in without internal length being an issue? I see the MSR Hubba NX comes in at 216cm with 94cm of head height. The MSR Access (4season) 213cm x 104cm. Terra Nova

I see tents from brands like Alpkit (almost no porch area), Hilleberg (too expensive) Big Agnes (I never heard of these guys) and Terra Nova / Wild Country (barely usable porch area) 

It’s a bit of a minefield when sounding so much money. So I’m interested to hear your opinions on this. How much space do you like, compared to how much you really need? Budget is up to £400 but would prefer less. Using it for UK and European multi day wild camping in remote areas. 

Cheers, 

Ads

biggianthead 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

I’m about 6cm shorter than you and have a Terra Nova 1 man tent. I’ve used it for multiday high level lightweight camping in Scotland (down to about -5).

I’ve never had found the porch size an issue; takes my rucsac and just enough space for a brew.

DaveHK 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17-stealth-tent-15.html

2.1m internal length with decent height along the full length, good internal space and a good sized porch. If you don't use walking poles you can get carbon-fibre ones from bearbones bikepacking.

The only problem would be if you need it in a hurry.

Post edited at 19:27
 Run_Ross_Run 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 bikepacking tent. 

Got one and its like a tardis inside (for a 1 person tent). Loads of headroom and some really nifty storage options built in. You can get an non bikepacking one too and the only difference is the lengths of poles.  Quality is superb and a lot of thought has gone into its design and execution. 

Use it in North Wales last year during and unexpected overnight gale which left caravan awnings in tatters and it stood up fine once it was pitched nose into the wind. 

Post edited at 19:43
 JB 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

I would take a look at the Scarp 1. Has decent space inside and a good porch. I'm 6ft and it seemed ok for me...a lot better than my old Laser Comp. I don't own one but have seen in the flesh and looks very good.

I've got a Trailstar which I love...but maybe not the best option for someone of your height and an inner (if you need one) would reduce space further. 

Both are US made and there can be waiting lists plus you're subject to customs fees lottery etc too.

Tony Buckley 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

I'm whatever 6'4" is in metric.  My preference is for tents with an inner that's a minimum of 220 cms long (I know, mixing my units) and longer if I can find it.

You might want to look at Lightwave tents https://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/tents/lightwave-tents as they seem to have realised that not everyone that wants a lightweight tent is vertically challenged.

T.

OP Mr Harry 24 May 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers, Dave. 

I’ve not heard of this brand before. That’s a super spacious tent, while being so light! Have you had any experience with this tent? It looks like a very traditional shape, how do you think it would stand up in strong winds?  

OP Mr Harry 24 May 2021
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I’ve had another look at this after reading you post. It does seem remarkably spacious. As much as I’m looking to become weight conscious, I’d rather carry a couple of hundred grams and have space to move freely. 

OP Mr Harry 24 May 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Ahhh, Lightwave. I’ve actually got an old Trek G20 that I’ve had for years. It’s a great tent. I’ll take a look at their lightweight offerings. Thanks! 

Run_Ross_Run 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

For me it's a no brainer. I originally purchased it for bikepacking (pole length was critical for storing between the drops), but Tbh I'll take it backpacking too.

I've got a SMD skyscape trekker and by the time you've factored in pegs and poles it's only a few gms lighter than the Big Agnes but the BA is so much more versatile.

DaveHK 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

> Cheers, Dave. 

>  

> I’ve not heard of this brand before. That’s a super spacious tent, while being so light! Have you had any experience with this tent? It looks like a very traditional shape, how do you think it would stand up in strong winds?  

I have one and have used it a lot. It's not going to put up with 60mph winds but it's been great for all the spring to autumn camping I've done in the last 4 years. TBH though I doubt you'd get one off him for this summer, it's literally one guy with a sewing machine and a big backlog of orders!

Siward 24 May 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Another vote for lightwave from a 6'3" person 

Toerag 24 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

In my experience as a mere 6' 1 and 3/4" / 187cm tall person, the inner can be theoretically long enough, but if it's between 'fabric ends' and not poles / porches, the slope of the tent is likely to be so shallow your feet push the inner against the outer and it 'leaks'.  Case in point - VauDe mk3 has exactly the same inner dimensions as the mk2, but rotated through 90degrees so you sleep across the tent instead of head/feet towards the doors, and consequently get a wet foot on your sleeping bag. Might be worth checking out single cross-hoop tents if they have dinky poles to hold the ends up?

damowilk 25 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

I’m 186cm, and a bit of a gear freak, so tried a few brands of lighter tents.

Nordisk Telmark 1 was too short: feet get pressed against the end and were soaked by morning.

Alpkit Ordos 2 just about ok for me, your extra length might push it to the acceptable limit.

Tarptent Scarp 2 and stratosphere li both comfortable long enough for me, with probably enough spare length for taller folk.

Golite Shangrala 5: party tent! No longer made, though other brands make equivalents. A bit heavy if you take inner and outer (maybe 3kg packed weight) but a luxurious amount of space if weight not so tight. We’ve had a hefty inflatable queen sized mattress in it and still room to spread kit out. I’d love a cuben fibre version, but you almost need a mortgage for one!

Chaildn 25 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

I went for a Vango Force Ten Xenon UL 2. I'm 187cm. Max Internal Height: 100cm, Length 210cm, Weight 1614g. Got mine for ~£200 on sale which seems decent. Been enjoying it so far (huge upgrade compared to my previous UL I couldn't sit up in!) although tempted by something even more spacious now...

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-tents-by-size-2-man-tents/vango/vango...

Post edited at 07:38
cb294 25 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

The larger Big Agnes tents I know are great, clever design elements and excellent quality. I would definitely give them a try if they have something specced to your demands!

CB

I’m 6ft 2 and have a 1 man Terra  Nova Southern Cross, excellent wee tent, snug and good porch area, light enough and simple to put up.

MischaHY 25 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

Have you seen these? Incredible performance for the money and he also does customs: 

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/39-phreeranger-dyneema-composite.html 

PaulJepson 25 May 2021
In reply to Mr Harry:

Tarptent Notch has a lot of room but I'm a mere 6ft. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...