UKC

Cairngorms cleg report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kate Smith 13 Jul 2021

Can anyone provide one?

Thinking of heading into Monadh Mor and the other next to it thurs/fri with an overnight camp. But - all this dry windless weather and heather moorland seems like a dodgy combo. Midges I can handle but I can't abide clegs! Does anyone have any info?

George Ormerod 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

It’s alright, he’s in California being Facebook’s communications director so he shouldn’t bother you in the Cairngorms. 

Lankyman 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

I've done many summer backpacks in the Cairngorms and never had any issue with them. Midges yes, on occasion, but cleggs no. The only Scottish walk I did where they were problematic was walking over the moor (and back) to get to Ben Loyal. It wasn't nice until the upper slopes and the swines waited for us to come down! Down here in Lancashire I've encountered some in proximity to herds of cattle or calves in Bowland.

Robert Durran 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

I was bitten by a few clegs in the Monadhliaths yesterday.

OwenM 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

Had a few in the Trossachs around Loch Venachar last Sunday.

Lankyman 14 Jul 2021
In reply to OwenM:

> Had a few in the Trossachs around Loch Venachar last Sunday.

I got bitten round the Trossachs once. Very unpleasant.

OwenM 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

The old-uns are the best.

In reply to Lankyman:

haha

Fiona Reid 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

Can't help for the Cairngorms but we're over in Arrochar/Cowal this week and they are a total blooming nuisance lower down. Basically don't stop, keep looking for them and kill any that land pronto before they get a chance to bite. Once above 300-400m though they are pretty much absent and replaced by those annoying black flies, they don't bite thankfully!

Generally they tend to be worse in the north and west but it's been so hot I'd be amazed if the Cairngorms don't have any. If you camp high though you may be okay. Hopefully someone else can give you more local cleg report. 

Enjoy your weekend wherever you decide to go.

OP Kate Smith 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

Ta very much everyone. Sounds like maybe the north is worst for them - my personal cleg hells have occurred at Ben Hope and Morven, but I am deeply scarred by them. People here (Orkney) are getting bitten now. I am chickening out and changing my plans a little no remote camping!

Flinticus 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

I was fine last night camping on Mount Blair, not far from Blairgowrie. Not a cleg in sight. Maybe the herd of cattle in the glen kept them occupied 

Sealwife 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith:

Have just arrived near Braemar this evening.  Not been out in the hills yet, but it’s actually quite breezy at the moment, so very little insect activity of any kind.  

Who knows what’s likely if the wind drops though

In reply to Kate Smith:

i work up glen Isla and we have so many at our yard at the moment.. can't comment on the hills though 

Neil Morrison 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Kate Smith: I was just going to say they are bad in Orkney just now. Their ability to cope in fairly strong breezes is a pain.

Fat Bumbly2 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Neil Morrison:

Not 'gorms, but Morvern is hoaching with them now. We have reduced the population a wee bit.

Post edited at 22:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...