UKC

Liathach with a dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 17 Sep 2021

What are the scrambly sections on Liathach like? Will a fit, agile dog who has to be kept on lead manage it? We have a 10m long lead.

PaulJepson 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've only done it in winter (so may be sketchier in summer when not banked out) but the pinnacles with the climbing on could be bypassed on the left (if going east->west). 

OP girlymonkey 17 Sep 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I think I would only so it if I thought we could take him on the pinnacles. The scrambling is the main point of it really!

Nic Barber 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

As far as bypass paths go, the one around the pinnacles is pretty bloody impressive! Winding and gripping the side of the mountain (I accidentally ended up on it for a bit last month and quite enjoyed it, before regaining the pinnacles)

PaulJepson 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

There are a few different bits of scrambly pinnacles that can be gained/left at a few sections but from memory it might be hard to get a dog up them, especially the initial section (which I think I might have had a rope on for because of the serious drop potential). It's not a very long section of the ridge though, so if it's alright off the lead you could do the scramble and the dog could go along the bypass path next to you?

In reply to PaulJepson:

Hmm, maybe it will need to wait for a dog free trip. He can't be off lead so has to be able to take the same route as us, or within 10m of it!

In reply to girlymonkey:

Not a dog owner myself so can’t really comment although walked a lot with a friend who has a dog. Liathach and the Cuillin hills were the only Munros I remember that she didn’t take the dog up the hills when I was walking with her. She felt it was just too hard.

Tringa 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Only you know your dog, but I'd say no, absolutely not.

I've done it in summer and have to say I used the by pass path on the more difficult(for me) parts. However, even the bits I found perfectly within my capabilities I reckon would be impossible for a dog.

If you had a harness and enough rope to lower him/her safely then perhaps.

But why give yourself a lot of worry on what should be a superb day out?

How would you feel if you dog took a fall?

Dave

Matt Podd 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Having done the Pinnacles recently, It's no place for a dog. I used to own one that could do Tryfan North ridge and with a bit of help Bristly ridge, so have some experience of dogs in the hills.

skog 17 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi gm.

There are dogs who could manage Liathach fine, but I think they're very much the exception.

I'd say the scrambling difficulty, degree of exposure, and consequence of a slip are pretty similar to those on the Aonach Eagach, really, so you could judge from that, but I'd err on the side of not taking the mutt on this one.

On a side note, I don't know whether you know Adrian and Jo (used to live in Drymen, but now crofting in Inveralligin)? One time I met them by coincidence on a scrambly, stepped section on the Beinn Eighe ridge, while they were having a bit of bother getting their dog Buffy across it. I helped (largely lifting Buffy ledge to ledge, climbing to her, picking her up again and repeating, until we were clear); from that day on I was officially in Buffy's pack, and always got a great welcome from her, despite her general dislike of men. She was a great hill dog, and had an amazing life with them. But, aye, unless your hound is a keen scrambler, I'd probably not take it on the Torridon ridges.

In reply to skog:

I think our mutt would manage the upward moves fine, he can jump ridiculously high! He also not too big for lifting (although he looks most put out when you do it! Lol) It's downward moves I'm not so sure about, I think he would jump and pull us with him!

Yes, sounds like Liathach might need to wait for a dog free trip. 

Shame, it's one I have fancied for a while.

eaf4 18 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi, we did it last year with a pal and his golden retriever, but we took the bypass. So you'd do that bit fine. Can't comment on the pinnacles, sorry. 

mountainbagger 18 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Given a poster above said the bypass path was impressive as well (I have done the pinnacles, but it was 10 years ago in winter but not winter conditions and poor vis/damp... didn't see much!), you could, if there's more than one of you (and you weren't planning on roping up) ...

Take dog on bypass whilst the other person scrambles. Leave dog with the person who has just scrambled, go back on the path (or direct over pinnacles!) to where you parted company, have a go yourself etc... Or is that just too contrived/tedious/ridiculous?

OP girlymonkey 18 Sep 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

We could, but probably a bit contrived. Just leave it for a dog free trip I think.

Just looking at the weeks forecast and it may be become a moot point anyway! We may be rethinking the week's plans!

Bulls Crack 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

I looked down on it when doing the pinnacles last year and thought the bypass looked better and more logical than the crest where you had to really be a bit blinkered to make it a proper scramble.  I preferred the albeit short Ceum Grannda ridge on the edge of Coire Mhic Fhearchair. The  scramble down the grade 2 ridge from Mullach Rathain on Liathach I thought was loose and not worthwhile - may have missed the best line at the top though. 

Emily_pipes 02 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I think it would be possible for a dog to do it, but it would need to be exceptional at scrambling and trustworthy off-lead. I would not want to be on the ridge (or the sketch bypass paths) while trying to manage a dog on a lead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...