UKC

IN FOCUS: Culm Dancing - The Guidebook and a Personal History

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 22 Sep 2021

The last article in the Culm Dancing series features guidebook author Mark Kemball, who recounts his experiences both of putting the latest guide together, coupled with his own experiences across this dramatic stretch of coastline.

Read more

alan moore 22 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks Mark, that strikes many chords. I was a bit later to the party, starting climbing when the Iain Peter's books came out. It was very formative as to what climbing was all about for me. I enjoyed the boring classics like Sacre Couer and Lost Horzon but its was the Vergers,  Wreckers and Mainsails that kept us coming back doe more. 

Coincidence, I also had a draft guide from Brian Wilkinson. Not sure how I got it; I'm guessing his address must have appeared in one of the magazines, but it gave a great chance to enjoy early repeats of things like Atom Head and Kleptomania.

The new guide really is stunning. Almost sheds too much light on the mystique of this coast, but has whetted the appetite for getting back down there this autumn.  Baggy Point will always be my favourite crag: the perfect balance between enjoyment and adventure. I might even get around to visiting Lower Sharpnose one day. Shame it's not a bit slabbier...

Mark Kemball 23 Sep 2021
In reply to alan moore:

Thanks Alan, I find Lower Sharpnose a bit on the hard side these days, although there are one or two routes at a reasonable grade. Fortunately I can sometimes persuade my son to leave the bouldering for a day and pull me up some of the steeper stuff. 

kingholmesy 26 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks for your hard work on the guide Mark - nice to read a bit of your history with the coast.

The Old Man and the Sea is on the list!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...